GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"School holidays - don't make me laugh!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 19:32
Regular
Toady had to be the worst day of 2002 for me so far. Why??? Becasue it was my first day back at school. Everyone dreads it! Having to work hard all day, bored to death, no more computer games or TV 'till you get home, and worst of all you think "Have I done all my homework???" I guarentee that if there's one thing that ruined your x-mas or new year's eve, it was homework!

We all know what it's like on the last day of term. You can't wait to go home and relax, and don't feel like doing a single bit of work on the day! The same applies for the holidays. You get home and just can't be bothered! After all, it is called a 'holiday', and not a 'school day'. But that's very rarely how these weeks seem to be! You usually find youself at the end of the holiday, on that Sunday, suddenly piled up with loads of work to do, as time ticks away before you have to go back to that place you hate! And yet somehow, you always seem to get ALL of your work done, in most cases! And you seriously wonder how you did it??

At the end of each full/half-term you always hear the same old thing. Your teachers will say "You've all worked very hard this term and deserve a break. Have a very merry x-mas everyone!" And then they suddenly drown you with a massive 6-page essay to do, or tell you that the first day back will be your coursework deadline! You don't seem to notice it then, as you think that you have a whole week or two to do it in.

When you return to school you wake up as early as 7 in the morning, and feel like you've just been hit by a car! I'm quite lucky though, as I don't have to get up 'till 8! But that's still way too early!! You struggle up and down the stairs, getting yourself ready, and it's off to hell. And as soon as you arrive in your first lesson you find yourself working hard, just like the night before! You turn against the teacher's and gradually tire during the day, only to get home and collapse. All before realising that you have more, newer work to do, and even less time to enjoy yourself or relax. I'm even writing this now as a mass of Art Graphics coursework awaits me!

Why do the teachers do it??? Can you honestly say that you have one teacher that you actually like?? Too much homework at the wrong times, and an overdose of hard work in lessons, is surely all part of the teacher's plot against us!! I bet they all go home, mark the important work they have to do in seconds, and sit back laughing at us all, just like how we all 'lol' here! But to us this is no laughing matter! Something has to be done, and we won't be happy untill we get the full time off that we deserve!! Well, unless of course we're behind with coursework. Then it's appropriate to work during our breaks.

How can schools expect is to work hard and at least 'try' to enjoy school if we're feeling tired and misserable?? Bad performances from students can only reflect badly on the school itself aswell! And surely the £70,000 a year headmasters wouldn't want to give themselves a bad name!! After all, all they really care about is their pride and money, leading to their new cars. It just isn't on!!

I think that either school holidays should be extended, or homewor should be reduced! How else are we gunna enjoy the GAD prizes we win on this site?? Maybe something could also be done about the 'men in charge' also! Why don't schools actually hire people who want to do what's best for the school, and keep the studnets happy?? And not just get someone with a good CV, who's only interested in earning lots of money! I still find school tough, even if I am only doing 3 A-levels! How do you feel about the amount of work you've had to do this x-mas??
Fri 11/01/02 at 23:11
Regular
"That's right!"
"Heh, I work out in my garage too. Just been a bit too damn cold lately though!"

I got the idea from American Beauty. I plug a heater in along with a CD player and once the room is warm enough, switch it off so I don't get too hot and, you know, pass out

As for my 6th form, we have a pool table and a couple of PCs with Mario and Bart vs the Space Mutants on... not exactly quality entertainment. There's a TV they use for the two classrooms in the 6th form block, but when we use it the teachers kick off and take it away. They also take the pool cue away so they don't make loads of noise and disturb the lessons... typical eh?
Fri 11/01/02 at 22:41
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We could have got a pool table but too many people agreed that it'd be ruined instantly! And we have a big CD player/hi-fi thing, but all the year 13's get to choose the music, and it's all the sh-tty dance/hip-hop stuff. Can't wait till next year though, when we'll be selecting!

YES!!!! IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!
Fri 11/01/02 at 19:49
when i was at 6th form we had a pool table, cd player and a few PC's for ourselves which we used mostly to put emulators on for megadrive and SNES games
Thu 10/01/02 at 21:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
I would have to agree with Solsksjaer, although in Year 10 you probably don't get as much homework.

But I'm still looking forward to 6th Form...and University. A lot.

Although I only have to get up at 8am (only idiots do paper-rounds), it's still damn tough work, especially if I've stayed up too late playing a game. Holidays and weekends are bliss, and friday nights are brilliant as well.

*Looks forward to friday night*
Thu 10/01/02 at 19:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
That sounds great! I wonder if there'll be N64 arcade games in the future???
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:59
Regular
One of the advantages of College...

We got two Pool tables, an Air hockey...some arcade machine with 4 old SNES/Megadrive games on it and a Sega rally arcade machine :)
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
cooldogs wrote:
> I'm in 6th form, and Im lovin it. I used to hate school (as many of you know)
> nut now I love it. It's is absolutely brilliant. You should be in my school it's
> ace. For HMWK I just had to answer 5 maths questions and do a three page
> chemistry exam. Simple. I love my life

CD

You don't by any chance have an N64 in your common room do you?? I was talking to some bloke on MSN once who said his school had one. That'd be great, my school's getting an air hockey table.
Thu 10/01/02 at 00:14
Regular
I'm all cool. I just got a huge Computing Coursework hangin over my head. damn dirty exam board. I really cant be botered with coursework, i'd much rather do an exam. An exam only takes a few hours while good coursework is supposed to be 6 months work.
Wed 09/01/02 at 21:34
I'm in 6th form, and Im lovin it. I used to hate school (as many of you know) nut now I love it. It's is absolutely brilliant. You should be in my school it's ace. For HMWK I just had to answer 5 maths questions and do a three page chemistry exam. Simple. I love my life

CD
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:52
ah how i love to be the trainee teacher and actually hand out the homework instead of recieving it *sinister laugh* but yea it peeved me when i was at school getting a whole load of homework over the holidays and the smarmy prats then say *oh and by the way enjoy your holiday* you just wanted to smack them. but like your honour said school days are the easiest years of all

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.