GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA SP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/02/03 at 10:58
Regular
Will my old GB, GBC, and GBA games work on the GBA SP?
The answer is a BIG yes. All games should work fine on the new system, with one exception. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, using a motion sensor, will have it's controls inverted because of the new bottom-loading cartridge slot. Every other game should work fine.

Have there been any major hardware changes? Is it faster?
No, not at all. The processor and memory specs are the same. The only difference is the new frontlight, which I will discuss in detail later.

What's up with button layout? It looks like an old GB layout, and it's missing the shoulder buttons.
While the A and B buttons look similar to the original GameBoy, the shoulder buttons are still there, although they are considerably remodeled. Now they are smaller, and rounded around the edges of the system. Also, a new button has been added to turn on the new light, which leads to our next question.

I've heard that the new GBA SP will have a backlight or frontlight or something like that. What's the deal?
The new GBA SP will feature a frontlight, which allows for a big increase in lighting when playing a dark game. It is able to be toggled on and off, via a small button on the front panel. This is because the light does not help when you are playing under the sun or under a bright flourescent light, as to save energy.

Why does it have a clamshell design and have different colors?
There has been a good bit of debate about this, and the major consensus is that it will be more acceptable by older gamers and look more like a gadget. The new platinum color almost makes it look like a PDA. Don't worry though, it also sports a cobalt blue color if you are don't like the platinum version. The clamshell design allows it to be transported easily and in a more compact shape, and can be flipped open when you are bored.

Will my E-reader attachment work on the new system?
While there has been some speculation, we now know it most certainly will. Actually, it will hook right into the cartridge slot, with no wires or mess. Then, you can hook your GBA SP up to your GameCube and you're set to use it.

What about my camera attachment
The camera attachment should also work fine, and the lensposition can be adjusted. Just invert it to work with the new bottom-loading cartridge slot.

How will the new GBA get its power?
There have been some changes here. Now there is a non-swappable rechargeable lithium battery. If yours stops working, you will need to send it to Nintendo for a replacement.

What is up with SP?
SP stands for Special or Special Project. Nintendo was thinking about calling it GBA DX but SP stuck through development
Thu 20/02/03 at 10:58
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
Will my old GB, GBC, and GBA games work on the GBA SP?
The answer is a BIG yes. All games should work fine on the new system, with one exception. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, using a motion sensor, will have it's controls inverted because of the new bottom-loading cartridge slot. Every other game should work fine.

Have there been any major hardware changes? Is it faster?
No, not at all. The processor and memory specs are the same. The only difference is the new frontlight, which I will discuss in detail later.

What's up with button layout? It looks like an old GB layout, and it's missing the shoulder buttons.
While the A and B buttons look similar to the original GameBoy, the shoulder buttons are still there, although they are considerably remodeled. Now they are smaller, and rounded around the edges of the system. Also, a new button has been added to turn on the new light, which leads to our next question.

I've heard that the new GBA SP will have a backlight or frontlight or something like that. What's the deal?
The new GBA SP will feature a frontlight, which allows for a big increase in lighting when playing a dark game. It is able to be toggled on and off, via a small button on the front panel. This is because the light does not help when you are playing under the sun or under a bright flourescent light, as to save energy.

Why does it have a clamshell design and have different colors?
There has been a good bit of debate about this, and the major consensus is that it will be more acceptable by older gamers and look more like a gadget. The new platinum color almost makes it look like a PDA. Don't worry though, it also sports a cobalt blue color if you are don't like the platinum version. The clamshell design allows it to be transported easily and in a more compact shape, and can be flipped open when you are bored.

Will my E-reader attachment work on the new system?
While there has been some speculation, we now know it most certainly will. Actually, it will hook right into the cartridge slot, with no wires or mess. Then, you can hook your GBA SP up to your GameCube and you're set to use it.

What about my camera attachment
The camera attachment should also work fine, and the lensposition can be adjusted. Just invert it to work with the new bottom-loading cartridge slot.

How will the new GBA get its power?
There have been some changes here. Now there is a non-swappable rechargeable lithium battery. If yours stops working, you will need to send it to Nintendo for a replacement.

What is up with SP?
SP stands for Special or Special Project. Nintendo was thinking about calling it GBA DX but SP stuck through development
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Gee, thanks for that insightful FAQ....
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:38
Regular
Very helpful WelshMiyamoto, and thanks for destroying any doubts I had about the E-Reader :). Did you write that from your own knowledge, or copy it off of a website?
Mon 24/02/03 at 10:06
"For the horde!!!!"
WelshMiyamoto wrote:

>
> How will the new GBA get its power?
> There have been some changes here. Now there is a non-swappable
> rechargeable lithium battery. If yours stops working, you will need to
> send it to Nintendo for a replacement.

that sux
Mon 24/02/03 at 20:13
Regular
It does mean you'll never need to buy batteries, though.
Mon 24/02/03 at 20:18
Regular
The emergance of some form of third party extra long life battery or something seems likely.

And it's as simple as that.
Mon 24/02/03 at 21:11
Regular
The E-Reader news is especially pleasing. I hope Nintendo will bring the add-on out over here - NOM seem to think so. I can't wait to start collecting some Animal Crossing cards, or reliving some NES and Game & Watch classics.
Mon 24/02/03 at 21:13
Regular
Intruiging.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.