GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo Story!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 13:23
Regular
Nintendo have been around since the 1970’s when they launched the ever so cute “Nintendo Game ‘N’ Watch” You could play games like Donkey Kong or Mario on them, if you got it in the right light that is.
The only disadvantage to them is that they could only store 1 game on them.
So that means that if you wanted another game you had to go out and but another handheld unit. They weren’t that expensive. I suppose you could call them the budget games console.
Ok so the graphics weren’t exactly top notch but who cares, the Mario games made up for any flaws.
So after that success Nintendo lay dormant for a while, or so it seemed.

1983 saw the launch of the hugely popular NES (Short for the Nintendo Entertainment System)
The NES is a lovely 8 bitter. Ok so it’s a bit primitive compared to the Consoles of today, but back then it was awesome.
Nintendo sold a surprising amount of the NES consoles along with some popular releases such as Mario, Zelda and Excite Bike.
Thanks to the NES the American games market got the boost they needed after the Atari went belly up.
So Nintendo got lucky again, but will their luck continue? Well we’ll have to see.

A short few years later in 1989 just in time for the Xmas frenzy the Gameboy was launched.
The Gameboy was the latest in handheld wizardry.
Ok so you couldn’t exactly fit it in your top pocket, but back then a guess it must’ve seemed fairly small.
The Gameboy lived long enough to see the launch of the phenomenal Pokemon games I thing Red came out first and then the yellow version followed along shortly afterwards.
The Pokemon games sold in there millions proving to be a worldwide smash.
The GameBoy I feel had a longer lifespan than it should have, no thanks to the Pokemon!

So with the success of both the NES and the GameBoy Nintendo had to scratch their foreheads and come up with a master plan to continue their good luck.
The answer? The SNES of course.
This little bundle of joy is a 16bitter, unlike the NES, which is an 8 bitter.
Some classic games that made their way onto the SNES included; Super Mario World (which incidentally is a stunner) Starfox and finally to put the cherry on top of the cake ZELDA IV.
Wow what great games they all were and still are.
So yet another huge success that Nintendo can gloat about.

This next idea from those kind folk at Nintendo HQ is a nifty piece of kit called the Super GameBoy, which was launch in June 1994.
The Super GameBoy had a lead, which went from the unit to the back of your telly enabling you to play your favourite GameBoy games through your telly, nifty or what eh?

This next console made Nintendo look like fools and shouldn’t even be given the honourable designation of a games Console.
It’s the Virtual Boy, which is a weird headset you put on your head and could play games right in front of your eyes. A good idea, in theory!
They sure made a Dog’s meal of the read-and-black graphics, which tended to give you a sore head.
I guess I’m being a bit hard on poor Nintendo ‘cos they are only human aren’t they?

June 1996 saw the birth of a revolutionary Console, the N64.
The N64 is a gorgeous 64-bit console that would just blow you away.
Ok so it was a stubborn cartridge based console, which had limited storage capabilities, but it’s really not that bad!
Afterall it did see some amazing classics like Zelda, Goldeneye Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day and not forgetting the stunning Super Mario World64.
The best bit Super Mario World 64 is switching on the console and seeing Mario’s world in stunning 3D for the first time, magic isn’t it?
Up against the massive Sony Playstation the N64 shouldn’t have stood a chance but it did.
True the N64 doesn’t seem as popular as the Playstation and the prices of the N64 games is a bit on the hefty side but most of the time you are paying for a top notch game which should be well worth the dosh.
So next time you have a few bob to spare pick up an N64 with Goldeneye, Zelda Perfect Dark and Super Mario World64.

Just once in a while a handheld console comes along and puts a smile on everybody’s face.
This next console certainly puts a smile on my face.
The GameBoy Colour has been years in the making and finnally it arrives with a boom!
The GameBoy Colour is a lot smaller than it’s predecessor and the quality of the games has also improved a vast amount.
It finally gave GameBoy owners the chance to move up in the gaming world and get their grubby mitts on the latest technology.
The GameBoy Colour is the best selling handheld console ever! yikes Nintendo have been busy bees haven’t they?

Nintendo have come up with yet another devilish plan that should eventually pay off, and if it does it should make them one of the most successful console manufacturers and developers of all time.
Unveiled only a few months back the GameCube is the next big step for Nintendo.
The GameCube is the second most powerful games console on the face of this planet.
Don’t believe me?
Take Wave Race Blue Storm for example, jaw-dropping visuals, amazing gameplay that’ll have you on the edge of your seat and last but not least the nailbiting breakneck speeds.
The GameCube also features the very latest in gaming technology.
The Intranet is not quite the same as it’s counter part the Internet but works in much the same way. It’s a online gaming network where you can link up with other Game Cubes in your Network area and play from a choice of literally hundreds of different online games.
Of course not all the online games are free but most people will pay the money because they know that they will not be disappointed.

Nintendo have something up their sleeves and not that long ago we found out what it was that they hid up their sleeves.
It’s the Game Boy Advance the most powerful handheld beauty in the world.
And no thanks to it’s mega powerful 32bit processor it has the ability to churn out 3D loveliness.
Some of the game that were due for launch the same day as the console had quite a lot of hype surrounding them, these included; Mario Cart super Circuit, ChuChu rocket and Fzero-x
Xtreme Velocity.
The GBA will have you running to your nearest games retailer to buy one because it’s so and sooooo powerful.
We’ll have to wait and see if any problems develop which they sometimes do with new consoles but I’m sure that there will be none.

When will Nintendo’s lucky streak end? Who knows? But what we do know is that just like everything good it must eventually come to an end.

Thanks for reading!
Mon 07/01/02 at 13:23
"I hate that!!!"
Nintendo have been around since the 1970’s when they launched the ever so cute “Nintendo Game ‘N’ Watch” You could play games like Donkey Kong or Mario on them, if you got it in the right light that is.
The only disadvantage to them is that they could only store 1 game on them.
So that means that if you wanted another game you had to go out and but another handheld unit. They weren’t that expensive. I suppose you could call them the budget games console.
Ok so the graphics weren’t exactly top notch but who cares, the Mario games made up for any flaws.
So after that success Nintendo lay dormant for a while, or so it seemed.

1983 saw the launch of the hugely popular NES (Short for the Nintendo Entertainment System)
The NES is a lovely 8 bitter. Ok so it’s a bit primitive compared to the Consoles of today, but back then it was awesome.
Nintendo sold a surprising amount of the NES consoles along with some popular releases such as Mario, Zelda and Excite Bike.
Thanks to the NES the American games market got the boost they needed after the Atari went belly up.
So Nintendo got lucky again, but will their luck continue? Well we’ll have to see.

A short few years later in 1989 just in time for the Xmas frenzy the Gameboy was launched.
The Gameboy was the latest in handheld wizardry.
Ok so you couldn’t exactly fit it in your top pocket, but back then a guess it must’ve seemed fairly small.
The Gameboy lived long enough to see the launch of the phenomenal Pokemon games I thing Red came out first and then the yellow version followed along shortly afterwards.
The Pokemon games sold in there millions proving to be a worldwide smash.
The GameBoy I feel had a longer lifespan than it should have, no thanks to the Pokemon!

So with the success of both the NES and the GameBoy Nintendo had to scratch their foreheads and come up with a master plan to continue their good luck.
The answer? The SNES of course.
This little bundle of joy is a 16bitter, unlike the NES, which is an 8 bitter.
Some classic games that made their way onto the SNES included; Super Mario World (which incidentally is a stunner) Starfox and finally to put the cherry on top of the cake ZELDA IV.
Wow what great games they all were and still are.
So yet another huge success that Nintendo can gloat about.

This next idea from those kind folk at Nintendo HQ is a nifty piece of kit called the Super GameBoy, which was launch in June 1994.
The Super GameBoy had a lead, which went from the unit to the back of your telly enabling you to play your favourite GameBoy games through your telly, nifty or what eh?

This next console made Nintendo look like fools and shouldn’t even be given the honourable designation of a games Console.
It’s the Virtual Boy, which is a weird headset you put on your head and could play games right in front of your eyes. A good idea, in theory!
They sure made a Dog’s meal of the read-and-black graphics, which tended to give you a sore head.
I guess I’m being a bit hard on poor Nintendo ‘cos they are only human aren’t they?

June 1996 saw the birth of a revolutionary Console, the N64.
The N64 is a gorgeous 64-bit console that would just blow you away.
Ok so it was a stubborn cartridge based console, which had limited storage capabilities, but it’s really not that bad!
Afterall it did see some amazing classics like Zelda, Goldeneye Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day and not forgetting the stunning Super Mario World64.
The best bit Super Mario World 64 is switching on the console and seeing Mario’s world in stunning 3D for the first time, magic isn’t it?
Up against the massive Sony Playstation the N64 shouldn’t have stood a chance but it did.
True the N64 doesn’t seem as popular as the Playstation and the prices of the N64 games is a bit on the hefty side but most of the time you are paying for a top notch game which should be well worth the dosh.
So next time you have a few bob to spare pick up an N64 with Goldeneye, Zelda Perfect Dark and Super Mario World64.

Just once in a while a handheld console comes along and puts a smile on everybody’s face.
This next console certainly puts a smile on my face.
The GameBoy Colour has been years in the making and finnally it arrives with a boom!
The GameBoy Colour is a lot smaller than it’s predecessor and the quality of the games has also improved a vast amount.
It finally gave GameBoy owners the chance to move up in the gaming world and get their grubby mitts on the latest technology.
The GameBoy Colour is the best selling handheld console ever! yikes Nintendo have been busy bees haven’t they?

Nintendo have come up with yet another devilish plan that should eventually pay off, and if it does it should make them one of the most successful console manufacturers and developers of all time.
Unveiled only a few months back the GameCube is the next big step for Nintendo.
The GameCube is the second most powerful games console on the face of this planet.
Don’t believe me?
Take Wave Race Blue Storm for example, jaw-dropping visuals, amazing gameplay that’ll have you on the edge of your seat and last but not least the nailbiting breakneck speeds.
The GameCube also features the very latest in gaming technology.
The Intranet is not quite the same as it’s counter part the Internet but works in much the same way. It’s a online gaming network where you can link up with other Game Cubes in your Network area and play from a choice of literally hundreds of different online games.
Of course not all the online games are free but most people will pay the money because they know that they will not be disappointed.

Nintendo have something up their sleeves and not that long ago we found out what it was that they hid up their sleeves.
It’s the Game Boy Advance the most powerful handheld beauty in the world.
And no thanks to it’s mega powerful 32bit processor it has the ability to churn out 3D loveliness.
Some of the game that were due for launch the same day as the console had quite a lot of hype surrounding them, these included; Mario Cart super Circuit, ChuChu rocket and Fzero-x
Xtreme Velocity.
The GBA will have you running to your nearest games retailer to buy one because it’s so and sooooo powerful.
We’ll have to wait and see if any problems develop which they sometimes do with new consoles but I’m sure that there will be none.

When will Nintendo’s lucky streak end? Who knows? But what we do know is that just like everything good it must eventually come to an end.

Thanks for reading!
Mon 07/01/02 at 13:52
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
err... can't be bothered to read all that... but Nintendo have been around since before 1970... they are over 100 years old, first doing playing cards, then did some shooting range thingies in old disused bowling alleys, then started making some toys and that led to the game and watch...

so there.
Mon 07/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
"DS..."
no offence but I knew all of that allready, probably still win GAD though...
slik ~_~
Mon 07/01/02 at 14:06
Regular
er... people have done it before and Ive read it in much more detail when reading Game Over, a very good book by David Sheff.

Still a good post though
Mon 07/01/02 at 14:36
"I hate that!!!"
Sibs wrote:
> err... can't be bothered to read all that... but Nintendo have been around since
> before 1970... they are over 100 years old, first doing playing cards, then did
> some shooting range thingies in old disused bowling alleys, then started making
> some toys and that led to the game and watch...

so there.

It's supposed to be about consoles that Nintendo have made not things before that.

Plus when I said Nintendo have been around scince the 1970's I meant they've been making consoles scince the 1970's.

Just thought i'd clear things up.
Mon 07/01/02 at 14:37
"I hate that!!!"
Sibs wrote:
> err... can't be bothered to read all that... but Nintendo have been around since
> before 1970... they are over 100 years old, first doing playing cards, then did
> some shooting range thingies in old disused bowling alleys, then started making
> some toys and that led to the game and watch...

so there.
Mon 07/01/02 at 14:38
"I hate that!!!"
sorry about the multiple posts, it's just a browser pproblem.
Mon 07/01/02 at 15:22
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
ah, the clarity that nit picking brings...
Mon 07/01/02 at 15:46
"I hate that!!!"
Sibs wrote:
> ah, the clarity that nit picking brings...

Hmmmm!!! *doughnut itches his head*
Tue 08/01/02 at 10:18
"I hate that!!!"
Well at least you like it.

What about anyone else?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.