GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sex in videogames (my first topic)."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/02/03 at 20:53
Regular
Hi, people. This is my first topic on ukchatforums.com; a friend of mine recomended the site to me. I don't have access to the Internet everyday, but hopefully I'll become a familiar face in next to no time. Anyway, enough of the opening rhetoric, onto the post...

Sex in videogames.

When it comes to the portrayal of sex in the media, we have quite a mixed bag. Represented on TV as gritty, in film as glamorous and in videogames as... as,erm?

Well, very few videogames even attempt to use sex. Mario and Peach in Super Mario Funtime? Forget it. The most we can expect are references a la GTA3/Max Payne style (i.e. lewd, crude and often rude.)

It's at this point you're probably saying to yourself "So what, I don't want to see pixelated pus... naughtiness portrayed on my screen (I've got the Internet for that.)"

Well, silence your bigoted mouths for a mo, and listen to what I have to say.

Sex is a tool; a powerful tool used by many industries (advertisers, for example) to sell a product/send out an impression/convey an emotion. Sex is an emotion, not an act; and it's one of the most powerful emotions we humans are capable of experiencing.

Videogames have the potential to make us laugh (conkers BFD), to make us cry (MGS2, so dissapointing I'm still weeping now), to make us jump behind the sofa (Resident Evil, the first time round, I mean). In my opinion, videogames are the most emotive medium we have, or at least they have the possibility to be.

So why don't devs incorporate sex in their games? Fear, I believe. The mass media has the ability to make or break a game. They could do a feature on Ultimate Paint Drying Championships 2 and it would sell by the bucketload. That's why they use newspapers et al in marketing the game. Unfortunately, when Mr. Editor plays the game in the only way a narrow-minded, tunnel-visioned mass media editor can and sees sex, he'll deem it blasphemous. Sure, a patronising, perfect 10, sexy female character in the game is okay, but showing sex is a sin. So Mr. Publisher says to Mr. Developer, stop your creative juices flowing and carbon copy the game that's number 1 in the charts under a different alias. If you want to get paid, that is. And so, with little choice, Mr. Developer puts away that 600 page design document and reads the relevant review residing in FHM.

The mainstream are sheep (and without a shepard it would seem to be blind leading the blind.)

Does sex have a place in videogames? I believe it does though it's uncharted territory at the moment (unless you count Leisure Suit Larry, and Lula, which I don't.)

Sex is a strong emoticon, and at just over 30 years old, videogames are a relatively young media. Best let them grow up a little first, eh?

Comments welcome.
Fri 21/02/03 at 20:53
Regular
"Despondent"
Hi, people. This is my first topic on ukchatforums.com; a friend of mine recomended the site to me. I don't have access to the Internet everyday, but hopefully I'll become a familiar face in next to no time. Anyway, enough of the opening rhetoric, onto the post...

Sex in videogames.

When it comes to the portrayal of sex in the media, we have quite a mixed bag. Represented on TV as gritty, in film as glamorous and in videogames as... as,erm?

Well, very few videogames even attempt to use sex. Mario and Peach in Super Mario Funtime? Forget it. The most we can expect are references a la GTA3/Max Payne style (i.e. lewd, crude and often rude.)

It's at this point you're probably saying to yourself "So what, I don't want to see pixelated pus... naughtiness portrayed on my screen (I've got the Internet for that.)"

Well, silence your bigoted mouths for a mo, and listen to what I have to say.

Sex is a tool; a powerful tool used by many industries (advertisers, for example) to sell a product/send out an impression/convey an emotion. Sex is an emotion, not an act; and it's one of the most powerful emotions we humans are capable of experiencing.

Videogames have the potential to make us laugh (conkers BFD), to make us cry (MGS2, so dissapointing I'm still weeping now), to make us jump behind the sofa (Resident Evil, the first time round, I mean). In my opinion, videogames are the most emotive medium we have, or at least they have the possibility to be.

So why don't devs incorporate sex in their games? Fear, I believe. The mass media has the ability to make or break a game. They could do a feature on Ultimate Paint Drying Championships 2 and it would sell by the bucketload. That's why they use newspapers et al in marketing the game. Unfortunately, when Mr. Editor plays the game in the only way a narrow-minded, tunnel-visioned mass media editor can and sees sex, he'll deem it blasphemous. Sure, a patronising, perfect 10, sexy female character in the game is okay, but showing sex is a sin. So Mr. Publisher says to Mr. Developer, stop your creative juices flowing and carbon copy the game that's number 1 in the charts under a different alias. If you want to get paid, that is. And so, with little choice, Mr. Developer puts away that 600 page design document and reads the relevant review residing in FHM.

The mainstream are sheep (and without a shepard it would seem to be blind leading the blind.)

Does sex have a place in videogames? I believe it does though it's uncharted territory at the moment (unless you count Leisure Suit Larry, and Lula, which I don't.)

Sex is a strong emoticon, and at just over 30 years old, videogames are a relatively young media. Best let them grow up a little first, eh?

Comments welcome.
Fri 21/02/03 at 20:55
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Nice enough post, although you seem to have missed a golden opportunity in attacking the double standards with regards to games and film. I think gaming has got to a stage where it should be able to depict whatever it wants. Freedom if speech, if you will. An XBOX game was recently recalled for having anti-Christianity messages in it...but did they ban the Koran (sorry, no idea how it's spellt but you know what I mean)? Was a fatwah issued on Kevin Smith for Dogma? It's ridiculous.
Fri 21/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
"Despondent"
I wanted to do a little more concerning other industries but I was told there was a maximum word limit?! You have a point, though the Film industry is a much more developed medium.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:00
Regular
"Not a Jew"
The world is too politically correct these days - alot of people want the colour "black" to be renamed "dark" and most shops don't sell Hitman 2 as it is racist. I mean, racism is of course wrong, but this is taking it way too far.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:04
Regular
"Despondent"
I don't think we should go into the whole race discussion. I think that's best left to the political elite like Tony Blai... I mean Christina Hamilt... I mean. Why are all politicians so blind. Is it just me or are they ignorant to it all?
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:17
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Wow, could you possibly be the best JAT we've had in a long time?

Really good topic, well done.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:21
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
We have a word limit?!
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Here's my view about the subject of sex in video games:

http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/ space display_messages.php?threadid=68482&forumid=185
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:39
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
> We have a word limit?!

Nope, I wrote something about 6000 words and it was fine.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:42
Regular
"Despondent"
Lou Role wrote:
> Wow, could you possibly be the best JAT we've had in a long time?

JAT? Erm, thanks... I think. I can't get on the site everday though so I'm afraid you'll have to savour the posts I do;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.