GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEWSFLASH: Console Condom (when consoles are attacked)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/02/03 at 22:47
Regular
Everytime a new anti-virus program is released on the PC it shoots to the top of the charts. We live in a world of bitter programmers underpaid and underappreciated, angry at the world, wanting to get back at mainstream society. Sitting in their boxers at 1am, eating cheerios, they see an easy way to make a name for themselves. To create a devastating virus and release it on an unprepared public; it's morally dubious but said programmer won't be forgotten in a while (especially not by the FBI.)

They become an underground name.

Luckily, those Tech-heads at Norton and McAfee form a formidable defence and within days a cure is found. What worries me though is the danger posed to consoles. While Microsoft and Sony rush to be first to climb the metaphorical mountain of online console gaming supremacy, have they forgotten the correct supplies?

Like America and Russia in the great space race, they have become so absorbed in the primary objective, they have shrugged off all other concerns.

Pride will abide.

So do viruses pose a real threat to consoles? In theory, the damage a virus could do could be localised. A virus doesn't boot like a PC, it loads from a ROM (the disk) so the damage wouldn't be permenant (in theory.)

That doesn't mean viruses won't be a nuance. I'm sure we've all had the experience of battling through a game to the final boss only for a game to freeze up. Well, just imagine having your game freeze up online, losing your stats, position, etc. Annoying.

Prevention is better than cure.

So is a 'console condom' a possibility? Well, who knows what the future holds? Maybe I should enter the competition in Edge. You know the one, the Herao comp, I could win £500. Or I could be ridiculed. Let's be honest, the idea of a console condom sounds weird but it could work like a kind of Firewall/Anti-virus in-one.

You never know, one day it might save your (virual) life.
Fri 21/02/03 at 23:13
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Interesting in an abstract, non-sensical way. Or something.
Fri 21/02/03 at 22:51
Regular
"Despondent"
VIRTUAL life, virtual life. Sorry.
Fri 21/02/03 at 22:47
Regular
"Despondent"
Everytime a new anti-virus program is released on the PC it shoots to the top of the charts. We live in a world of bitter programmers underpaid and underappreciated, angry at the world, wanting to get back at mainstream society. Sitting in their boxers at 1am, eating cheerios, they see an easy way to make a name for themselves. To create a devastating virus and release it on an unprepared public; it's morally dubious but said programmer won't be forgotten in a while (especially not by the FBI.)

They become an underground name.

Luckily, those Tech-heads at Norton and McAfee form a formidable defence and within days a cure is found. What worries me though is the danger posed to consoles. While Microsoft and Sony rush to be first to climb the metaphorical mountain of online console gaming supremacy, have they forgotten the correct supplies?

Like America and Russia in the great space race, they have become so absorbed in the primary objective, they have shrugged off all other concerns.

Pride will abide.

So do viruses pose a real threat to consoles? In theory, the damage a virus could do could be localised. A virus doesn't boot like a PC, it loads from a ROM (the disk) so the damage wouldn't be permenant (in theory.)

That doesn't mean viruses won't be a nuance. I'm sure we've all had the experience of battling through a game to the final boss only for a game to freeze up. Well, just imagine having your game freeze up online, losing your stats, position, etc. Annoying.

Prevention is better than cure.

So is a 'console condom' a possibility? Well, who knows what the future holds? Maybe I should enter the competition in Edge. You know the one, the Herao comp, I could win £500. Or I could be ridiculed. Let's be honest, the idea of a console condom sounds weird but it could work like a kind of Firewall/Anti-virus in-one.

You never know, one day it might save your (virual) life.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.