GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Videogaming - An art"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/02/03 at 00:01
Regular
As an avid gamer and artist, I find it immensly strange how I didnt make a connection between my two favourite pastimes sooner. In fact, it appears to me that the two industries are so blatently alike, it is unbelievable.

I'm not just talking about graphical aspects of videogaming, but the overall experience a game is capable of creating. I think of games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, relating to the art of Francis Bacon, and other 'dark' and 'mysterious' pieces. Although the graphics do give certain games a unique 'feel', a la the hand drawn characters and animations found in Ubi-Softs Splinter Cell, or the cell shaded antics of Nintendos new Zelda.

Also, art movements, such as futurism, or cubism are clearly seperated by time and are infact pieces of history in their own respects. I see the videogaming industry as being equally distributed aswell, like the 2D to 3D reformation. Their were very few 2D games once 3 dimentional games had become available, and were then set as standard. We then saw more realism, and the prospect of creating games as near to the real life counterparts as humanly possible, including many scientifical aspects such as physics in car games, and what-not.

The new cel shaded graphics are becoming increasingly popular with upcoming games, such as XIII or Auto Modelista. This is, in its own rights a new direction for videogames developers, and many may follow suit, if cel shadism creates a suitable fanbase.

I can also relate artists, to the developers. Like i think of Nintendo, being the Picasso of the gaming world, how they dare to try something innovative and new, and how they can influence other developers to do the same sort of thing. I think of artists, who can adapt to many styles and 'movements' and compare them to the like of Ubi-Soft. One minute we see Rayman, a comical cartoony platformer then we see Splinter Cell, a realistic, hand drawn, master piece.

I can relate the consoles to art museums, where their greatest pieces of artworks are displayed, but each console has their own unique style. For example the PS2 could be an American based museum, where it has many customers, and is very mainstream. Xbox would be more suited to England, where it is not as big as the American one, but still has the same interest, but smaller fanbase. I see Gamecube as being Japanese, as many of its masterpieces are created their, but it is less popular with western art lovers.

I can clearly relate the two industries together, and they compliment each other tremendously

Cheers
Sat 22/02/03 at 00:01
Regular
"QPR 1974"
As an avid gamer and artist, I find it immensly strange how I didnt make a connection between my two favourite pastimes sooner. In fact, it appears to me that the two industries are so blatently alike, it is unbelievable.

I'm not just talking about graphical aspects of videogaming, but the overall experience a game is capable of creating. I think of games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, relating to the art of Francis Bacon, and other 'dark' and 'mysterious' pieces. Although the graphics do give certain games a unique 'feel', a la the hand drawn characters and animations found in Ubi-Softs Splinter Cell, or the cell shaded antics of Nintendos new Zelda.

Also, art movements, such as futurism, or cubism are clearly seperated by time and are infact pieces of history in their own respects. I see the videogaming industry as being equally distributed aswell, like the 2D to 3D reformation. Their were very few 2D games once 3 dimentional games had become available, and were then set as standard. We then saw more realism, and the prospect of creating games as near to the real life counterparts as humanly possible, including many scientifical aspects such as physics in car games, and what-not.

The new cel shaded graphics are becoming increasingly popular with upcoming games, such as XIII or Auto Modelista. This is, in its own rights a new direction for videogames developers, and many may follow suit, if cel shadism creates a suitable fanbase.

I can also relate artists, to the developers. Like i think of Nintendo, being the Picasso of the gaming world, how they dare to try something innovative and new, and how they can influence other developers to do the same sort of thing. I think of artists, who can adapt to many styles and 'movements' and compare them to the like of Ubi-Soft. One minute we see Rayman, a comical cartoony platformer then we see Splinter Cell, a realistic, hand drawn, master piece.

I can relate the consoles to art museums, where their greatest pieces of artworks are displayed, but each console has their own unique style. For example the PS2 could be an American based museum, where it has many customers, and is very mainstream. Xbox would be more suited to England, where it is not as big as the American one, but still has the same interest, but smaller fanbase. I see Gamecube as being Japanese, as many of its masterpieces are created their, but it is less popular with western art lovers.

I can clearly relate the two industries together, and they compliment each other tremendously

Cheers
Sat 22/02/03 at 00:04
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
nice post.
Sat 22/02/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Nice post

But please give the little people a chance to win a GAD.....(me)
Sat 22/02/03 at 00:06
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
you should hope you get a GAD for the other post about pole monkeys and not this one. Because with the other one you will get more points.
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
There was no need to quote the whole thing.

Just showing you the ropes that's all
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:50
"period drama"
Sfone, you have to give me a topic for the Random Posts thingy. I've given you yours, which would have been mine - go see in the proper topic.

And stop making all these good posts. It's not fair on the children.
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:51
"Darkness, always"
Was it REALLY necessary to quote the better part of 500 words just to add less than 20 words on the end of it?

PHILISTINE.
Sat 22/02/03 at 19:54
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Insane Bartender is potential the most philistiphical (sp?) out of all of us.

:P

(Can somebody check if what I just said is actually a word? I can't be 'arsed checking y'see...)
Sun 23/02/03 at 13:02
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Another great post. You were on a role yesterday that's for sure.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.