GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"These three kings"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/02/03 at 13:15
Regular
I remember the days, when Sonic was all the rage; I remember giving the game a quick thrash on my master System before I watched a bit of telly. The funny thing is, this doesn’t happen any more, with my new games systems. I can’t exit a game once I have started; the new generation of games are so involving, one can only wonder what the future will bring, and how involving games can become.

Thinking about it, games like Alex the Kid, and Halo are worlds apart. Not the content, but the overall experience Halo offers, is far superior to games we were playing, only a few years back. It is scary to consider how consuming games will be in the not so near future. Is it time to quit gaming, before they consume you with their depth and realism? Or, will it be the ultimate gaming experience, when you fell like you are the game, you are the ‘chief and you are gunning down old ladies in the middle of Brooklyn. This reporter cannot answer these questions, but I can be sure of one thing, to be grateful for what the industry has brought us gamers already, and I give these people full credit, they deserve it…

SEGA was the first king I met on my gaming journey, as a small boy I managed to sample the delights of sonic and pacman, little did I know, that this form of entertainment would soon become part of me. I played a bit of Alex the Kid, I didn’t feel part of the game, but it still delivered a memorable experience. This experience consumed my interest, and has done ever since the day I met the gaming industry. This king then delivered 3 dimensional gaming, in the form of the Saturn. This was the point where I knew gaming was much more than a form of entertainment, it was of a larger scale, it was an experience, and unlike anything I had ever known. The games were becoming much more detailed and lifelike, it was a rapid change from the days of the SNES and the master system. To SEGA, I thank, in regards to introducing me to the industry, and showing me that life was a game.

The second king I met was Nintendo. I met this royal emperor unsuspectedly, until I won an N64 I was unsure of Nintendo’s role in the gaming world. I always thought they were second best to SEGA, but I was very wrong. I met characters like Link and Mario as part of the majestic assemblage; these characters were to deliver a completely different take on the industry I had known. Some games were less realistic, but more involving an atmospheric than the ones I had played on my SEGA. Nintendo was definatley the strangest king, as many different varieties of games arrived on the system. I thank Nintendo for reinforcing the idea that the gaming industry was more than a form of entertainment and for introducing me to the characters that consumed me into the gaming underworld.

The third king, I met recently, on march the 14th to be precise. Microsoft the third and final king, I have met so far. They, for me, have given me the next generation experience and this king has made me aware that it is possible to become consumed and fell a part of a game. For the first time, I became devoted to a single game, which isn't your archetype sort of game. A battle between the human race, and an alien race labelled the covenant. What was more spectacular is how the story involved me into feeling the same sort of emotions as the Master Chief would. Never again would I look at a game in the same way, the delights of a simple thrashing on sonic have been extinguished. The gaming industry is on a bigger scale now; it is in control and is capable of many things. I thank you Microsoft for the recognition that this sort of enthusiasm is possible.

To these three kings, I thank. These companies have done something, many have labelled 'impossible'. They have created a living world, where you are part of the game; they have grown into an experience that is undeliverable in other sorts of entertainment.

These are the kings, who have made an impact, and many within time will join these kings, these are the kings who gave us these times. And to the non-believers, I stick my middle finger up, in regards to their doubting ways.

To the kings...

Cheers
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:52
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Good post, i agree, you cant just turn your console on anymore and just complete one level then go eat food or what ever, the games are just too involving and in a way too big just to quickly play on.
Sun 23/02/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
That was a great post.

Although when I had my Master System, I would still keep playing a game through until I completed it, since there were no such things as Memory Cards then. But nowadays, I can complete those games in about 2 hours because I have a lot more experience. So I now realise how involving games are now, compared to what they were like in the past.

I would imagine it would be very difficult to complete, say, Vice City or Final Fantasy without stopping to save at some point just because of the depth of the stories.
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:54
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Sounds fun.
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:54
Regular
"QPR 1974"
far too empty wrote:
> Alex the Kid had a really cheating ching chang chong game.

*shrugs*
Yes, you're right, it was a great game
*continues to eat the finest cuts of chicken from the big spinning stick*
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:43
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Alex the Kid had a really w*nkering cheating ching chang chong game.

It made me cry.
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:43
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I haven't played that game.

PS. That was a lovely ending...
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:41
Regular
"^_^"
Alex the kid was and still is a brilliant game. The thing is though, that as games get more advanced then so does there story line and other attributes. I didn't even know if there was a story line to Alex The Kid. I playes it cos it was damn right fun fun fun!
Sat 22/02/03 at 16:34
"period drama"
Agh!
It's alive.

The things you produce ... dirty scamp.

It's got my leg!
Noooooo.......!
Sat 22/02/03 at 16:31
Regular
"Brrrrr."
*Cries all over FinalFantasyFanatic*

Sorry.

*sniffs*

Do you want me to clean that up for you?
Sat 22/02/03 at 16:09
"period drama"
There there
Let it all out

No, not that much ...

Nice postie post by the by

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.