GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Insane in the gamebrain"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 05:25
Regular
It's 3:30am, I have been playing Final Fantasy 7 for 6 straight hours. Between the loading times in the game, I can recall that I haven't blinked since I hooked up to the computer; any other reasonable thoughts have gone out of my head, being replaced by my brains ability to glue my hands to the pad, and restrict my legs from standing up.

This happens whenever I play games, regardless of what particular game it is.

When the gaming dust has settled, and my mind his reversed back into stableness and sanity, only then do I reflect on the powers of my computer. The worst thing is, I have grown into an unrestricted bypass, so this seems to happen early one time, then earler the next.

Then I got around to thinking...why.
Why does a perfectly normal, outgoing person, suddenly turn into this closet-goblin? Why does my brain cease to function normally whenever I press a button on the joypad, and the computer responds?...is it the game?...or is it me?
I think that this happens to everyone, hence me bringing this subject up, and also because it scares me considerably.

Nobody can make the excuse that it is only a good game what does that to you, because it happens with any game, regardless, so let's delve into the human brain and decipher what it all means.

The experts say that you only use something like an eighth of your brain power, so the truth must be in there. Could our computers be illegaly tapping into the other seven bits? It is a real possibility, because the 'hand-eye co-ordination' system requires you to use a different mental state; different, from reading the paper, for example. I think that while you are playing your computer, your brain accidently stumbles across something which I will call the 'gamebrain'. This is a locked door inside your head, which is opened whenever you flick the 'on' switch on your computer. It is able to process super-human thoughts and memory transfers whilst you are playing a game. My instinct is backed up with the fact that, again with the paper; when you are reading it, you don't whizz through the pages, AND remember the pictures, all in the space of 5 minutes do you?
Whereas, playing a computer, if you played that even for 2 hours, the wide range of different locations you would encounter, you would remember every single one of them.
If scientists were to do tests on a human teenager(I use the teen category for example purposes), they would probably find an accelerated usage of the brain.

Then I thought, is it the game?

You could argue that it is indeed the games fault, delivering unmatched, intensified gameplay, while plucking at your emotions and heartstrings at a rate unseen in the best movie.
It certainly could be the game, with a few reasons to prove it.
A game like Final Fantasy requires you to use a steady, yet extremely focused mental-state. This strategy works well with keeping you at your computer, because, with it requiring you to focus on the game, you can't focus on anything else, also, your steady thoughts, or shall we say, rational thinking thoughts, are also being used up on your game-playing.

I have gone over my theorys and tests for a pretty long while, and I have come to the decision that I need therapy...now.

Now excuse me for not replying to anything said in this topic, it's just that I might be locked away in a padded-room.
Sun 06/01/02 at 05:25
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
It's 3:30am, I have been playing Final Fantasy 7 for 6 straight hours. Between the loading times in the game, I can recall that I haven't blinked since I hooked up to the computer; any other reasonable thoughts have gone out of my head, being replaced by my brains ability to glue my hands to the pad, and restrict my legs from standing up.

This happens whenever I play games, regardless of what particular game it is.

When the gaming dust has settled, and my mind his reversed back into stableness and sanity, only then do I reflect on the powers of my computer. The worst thing is, I have grown into an unrestricted bypass, so this seems to happen early one time, then earler the next.

Then I got around to thinking...why.
Why does a perfectly normal, outgoing person, suddenly turn into this closet-goblin? Why does my brain cease to function normally whenever I press a button on the joypad, and the computer responds?...is it the game?...or is it me?
I think that this happens to everyone, hence me bringing this subject up, and also because it scares me considerably.

Nobody can make the excuse that it is only a good game what does that to you, because it happens with any game, regardless, so let's delve into the human brain and decipher what it all means.

The experts say that you only use something like an eighth of your brain power, so the truth must be in there. Could our computers be illegaly tapping into the other seven bits? It is a real possibility, because the 'hand-eye co-ordination' system requires you to use a different mental state; different, from reading the paper, for example. I think that while you are playing your computer, your brain accidently stumbles across something which I will call the 'gamebrain'. This is a locked door inside your head, which is opened whenever you flick the 'on' switch on your computer. It is able to process super-human thoughts and memory transfers whilst you are playing a game. My instinct is backed up with the fact that, again with the paper; when you are reading it, you don't whizz through the pages, AND remember the pictures, all in the space of 5 minutes do you?
Whereas, playing a computer, if you played that even for 2 hours, the wide range of different locations you would encounter, you would remember every single one of them.
If scientists were to do tests on a human teenager(I use the teen category for example purposes), they would probably find an accelerated usage of the brain.

Then I thought, is it the game?

You could argue that it is indeed the games fault, delivering unmatched, intensified gameplay, while plucking at your emotions and heartstrings at a rate unseen in the best movie.
It certainly could be the game, with a few reasons to prove it.
A game like Final Fantasy requires you to use a steady, yet extremely focused mental-state. This strategy works well with keeping you at your computer, because, with it requiring you to focus on the game, you can't focus on anything else, also, your steady thoughts, or shall we say, rational thinking thoughts, are also being used up on your game-playing.

I have gone over my theorys and tests for a pretty long while, and I have come to the decision that I need therapy...now.

Now excuse me for not replying to anything said in this topic, it's just that I might be locked away in a padded-room.
Sun 06/01/02 at 07:41
Regular
""
They zombify you. Computers are out to get every1. Bill Gates has made them brainwash us. They control us and send us out to buy more games so we can line his pockets with money...... I'm a very lonely boy.... leave me alone... don't stare that's just nasty... ;-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.