GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The History of Mortal Kombat"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mortal Kombat 3'.
Sun 23/02/03 at 00:08
Regular
Its 11 years since the first Mortal Kombat yet to me it seems like it was only yesterday when I first got the game for the Mega Drive on my 7th Birthday. At the time the game already had a sequel but at the age of 7 I was just getting into games and my interests were in different areas. By the year 1995 there was already a 3rd Mortal Kombat game on the market and by this time the series was wearing thin. As the 4th Mortal Kombat game was released in 1997 it was almost non existent as gamers around the globe folded their arms to a series which had worn every aspect of the fighting genre to death. The sales on Mortal Kombat 4 were so poor that Midway were nearly in the red in terms of company funds but this didn't stop them from crashing on with one of the most controversial series ever created.

Looking at the present day it is hard to understand where the Mortal Kombat series went wrong. The latest Mortal Kombat game breaths new life into a series which was finished and already at the bottom of the spike pit. Ed Boon (co creator of Mortal Kombat) stresses on modern technology as being the saviour of the Mortal Kombat series, on this matter I believe it is something else. How could developers cope with a game that contained excessive amounts of blood and finishing moves that would give your grandma a heart attack and a reason for your parents to confiscate the game?! At the time of the first Mortal Kombat it was a battle between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter and fans of each game would argue which one they preferred.

Street Fighter fans would say that the Mortal Kombat games were just an excuse for mindless violence and Mortal Kombat fans would state that Street Fighter games were boring after playing the future of fighting games. If I remember rightly I was stuck in between the battle as I believed that both games had something to offer which the other didn't. Mortal Kombat was one of the first games to sell well across the globe and this was due to the measures Midway stretched to in order to promote the game using television and radio adverts. With a development team of only four people it was Ed Boons responsibility to make sure that each one maximised the technology on offer.

Due to the limitations of the early 1990's and technology the developers at Midway could not utilise Motion Capture or enhanced computer graphics. Looking back at the first Mortal Kombat through a modern day gamers eyes is a chance to view how gaming has evolved in just over one decade. At the time Mortal Kombat was the most advanced game of the market which boasted a combination system (allowing gamers to press multiple buttons for different moves) and the most advanced in game graphics witnessed at the time. Even to this date I believe that the first Mortal Kombat game has been used as an example of what can be done with the most basic of computer technology. However there are two sides to the coin and this is why gamers ask so many questions about the poor quality of the latter Mortal Kombat games.

Exactly one year after the release of Mortal Kombat it was time for the series to advance in the form of a sequel. The second mortal Kombat boasted more characters, sharper graphics and a deeper fighting system. After the huge success of Mortal Kombat it was inevitable that the second in the series would continue where the first game left off. Sales figures rocketed from day one and it wasn't long before it managed to out sell the first game and take the number one spot in gaming charts. The advances in gaming technology were quickly upon Ed Boon and his team of developers and the release of a 32bit system was on the horizon.

For the current time however the 3rd and "final" Mortal Kombat would be released on the Sega Mega Drive. Much like the release of Mortal Kombat 2 gamers around the world rushed out to purchase the latest instalment in the series. At first it seemed like the game would carry on the huge success of previous Mortal Kombat games, however this wasn't going to happen and opinions began to impede sales figures. By this time gamers wanted something new and it was going to take something special from Midway in order to get the series back on track.

As the Playstation arrived so did the release of Mortal Kombat Trilogy which wasn't only the worst in the series but gamers around the world weren't prepared to part with their £44.99 and the game was a major flop. Only a couple of years after the release of Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Playstation was the release of Mortal Kombat 64 for Nintendo's newer and more powerful entertainment system. Yet another poor quality Mortal Kombat?! By this time Midway had lost the respect which they had deservedly earned back in 1992 and gamers were calling for them to hang their boots up and leave the series; however this wasn't to be and Midway had other ideas.

It wasn't long before yet another console was on the horizon only this time it was Sega's attempt at grabbing the console market. When Mortal Kombat Gold was announced it was clear that gamers were expecting something as successful as the 1992 release on the Sega Mega Drive. This time the game was well and truly over and Scorpion had surely thrown his last spear... or had he? What were Midway playing at? The last 3 Mortal Kombat games had flopped worse than Rikishi from a diving board but this wasn't the time to give up and it was time for a new project to begin!

February 14th 2003 and after people had given up on the series it was time for Midway to get back on winning terms. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is arguably the best Mortal Kombat in the series yet and from a fan like myself I would have to agree. Midway have finally restored faith into the series which spurned so many disappointments yet so many happy memories. With a new fighting system and a whole new 3-Dimensional engine Mortal Kombat has been revived in a way which has taken gamers by surprise! In the words of Ed Boon, "Mortal Kombat always has been and always will be" and although the Deadly Alliance can be beaten I am sure that the Dragon King will rise once again. The future looks Dark but in the world of Mortal Kombat this couldn't be a better compliment!

Thanks for Reading
Sun 23/02/03 at 00:08
Regular
Its 11 years since the first Mortal Kombat yet to me it seems like it was only yesterday when I first got the game for the Mega Drive on my 7th Birthday. At the time the game already had a sequel but at the age of 7 I was just getting into games and my interests were in different areas. By the year 1995 there was already a 3rd Mortal Kombat game on the market and by this time the series was wearing thin. As the 4th Mortal Kombat game was released in 1997 it was almost non existent as gamers around the globe folded their arms to a series which had worn every aspect of the fighting genre to death. The sales on Mortal Kombat 4 were so poor that Midway were nearly in the red in terms of company funds but this didn't stop them from crashing on with one of the most controversial series ever created.

Looking at the present day it is hard to understand where the Mortal Kombat series went wrong. The latest Mortal Kombat game breaths new life into a series which was finished and already at the bottom of the spike pit. Ed Boon (co creator of Mortal Kombat) stresses on modern technology as being the saviour of the Mortal Kombat series, on this matter I believe it is something else. How could developers cope with a game that contained excessive amounts of blood and finishing moves that would give your grandma a heart attack and a reason for your parents to confiscate the game?! At the time of the first Mortal Kombat it was a battle between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter and fans of each game would argue which one they preferred.

Street Fighter fans would say that the Mortal Kombat games were just an excuse for mindless violence and Mortal Kombat fans would state that Street Fighter games were boring after playing the future of fighting games. If I remember rightly I was stuck in between the battle as I believed that both games had something to offer which the other didn't. Mortal Kombat was one of the first games to sell well across the globe and this was due to the measures Midway stretched to in order to promote the game using television and radio adverts. With a development team of only four people it was Ed Boons responsibility to make sure that each one maximised the technology on offer.

Due to the limitations of the early 1990's and technology the developers at Midway could not utilise Motion Capture or enhanced computer graphics. Looking back at the first Mortal Kombat through a modern day gamers eyes is a chance to view how gaming has evolved in just over one decade. At the time Mortal Kombat was the most advanced game of the market which boasted a combination system (allowing gamers to press multiple buttons for different moves) and the most advanced in game graphics witnessed at the time. Even to this date I believe that the first Mortal Kombat game has been used as an example of what can be done with the most basic of computer technology. However there are two sides to the coin and this is why gamers ask so many questions about the poor quality of the latter Mortal Kombat games.

Exactly one year after the release of Mortal Kombat it was time for the series to advance in the form of a sequel. The second mortal Kombat boasted more characters, sharper graphics and a deeper fighting system. After the huge success of Mortal Kombat it was inevitable that the second in the series would continue where the first game left off. Sales figures rocketed from day one and it wasn't long before it managed to out sell the first game and take the number one spot in gaming charts. The advances in gaming technology were quickly upon Ed Boon and his team of developers and the release of a 32bit system was on the horizon.

For the current time however the 3rd and "final" Mortal Kombat would be released on the Sega Mega Drive. Much like the release of Mortal Kombat 2 gamers around the world rushed out to purchase the latest instalment in the series. At first it seemed like the game would carry on the huge success of previous Mortal Kombat games, however this wasn't going to happen and opinions began to impede sales figures. By this time gamers wanted something new and it was going to take something special from Midway in order to get the series back on track.

As the Playstation arrived so did the release of Mortal Kombat Trilogy which wasn't only the worst in the series but gamers around the world weren't prepared to part with their £44.99 and the game was a major flop. Only a couple of years after the release of Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Playstation was the release of Mortal Kombat 64 for Nintendo's newer and more powerful entertainment system. Yet another poor quality Mortal Kombat?! By this time Midway had lost the respect which they had deservedly earned back in 1992 and gamers were calling for them to hang their boots up and leave the series; however this wasn't to be and Midway had other ideas.

It wasn't long before yet another console was on the horizon only this time it was Sega's attempt at grabbing the console market. When Mortal Kombat Gold was announced it was clear that gamers were expecting something as successful as the 1992 release on the Sega Mega Drive. This time the game was well and truly over and Scorpion had surely thrown his last spear... or had he? What were Midway playing at? The last 3 Mortal Kombat games had flopped worse than Rikishi from a diving board but this wasn't the time to give up and it was time for a new project to begin!

February 14th 2003 and after people had given up on the series it was time for Midway to get back on winning terms. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is arguably the best Mortal Kombat in the series yet and from a fan like myself I would have to agree. Midway have finally restored faith into the series which spurned so many disappointments yet so many happy memories. With a new fighting system and a whole new 3-Dimensional engine Mortal Kombat has been revived in a way which has taken gamers by surprise! In the words of Ed Boon, "Mortal Kombat always has been and always will be" and although the Deadly Alliance can be beaten I am sure that the Dragon King will rise once again. The future looks Dark but in the world of Mortal Kombat this couldn't be a better compliment!

Thanks for Reading
Sun 23/02/03 at 00:15
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
Too true mate. Just the other day my mate showed me an arcade emulator, which had MKI and MKII on and we played it for a few hours. I had forgotten just how long it had been since I played these fantastic games. It all came coming back the second I whacked Dave (my mate) in the head with a flying kick from Lui Kang :0)

I have to agree that MKIII and MKIV were very poor games. They turned 3D and much like the 3D versions of the Street Fighter series', were unsuccessful and not well recieved at all. I didn't expect much at all, to be honest, so I wasn't too disappointed when I witnessed the p***-poor production of the series when it hopped platforms.

I think that regardless of flashy graphics and high-octane action sequences, gameplay still made the first two MK games what they were and I think that making it 3D "cartoons" it and makes it appear fake, whilst the other two, while more outdated, in my opinion looked more realistic than the Sony counterparts.

In closing, MKII 0wnz the pants off of Street Fighter.

Someone give this man a GAD.
Mudda.
Sun 23/02/03 at 01:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Mortal Kombat wallows in the 5 o'clock shadow of Street fighter. The street fighter Ethos is all about mastery. Mortal Kombats fighting system isnt balanced enough to offer such depth and reward for prolonged play.
Sun 23/02/03 at 01:12
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Mortal Kombat on your 7th birthday???

11 years below the recommend age!
Sun 23/02/03 at 01:26
Regular
Thanks Muddatrucker! Even now with all the graphics and audio leaps that the gaming industry has made it still doesn't stop classics like Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2 from being great to play.

Rewards for long period of play? 667 unlockables and a Konquest mode which contains a story for every character, it acts as a training mode and its a way to learn the advanced moves which Deadly Alliance has to offer. The Arcade mode has recaptured what the original created and its deep and very challenging. The new character stance system means that each character is in theory 3 in 1 and extra time needs to be spent learning the moves when moving onto harder difficulties. The story line is superb and each character fits like a jigsaw as each area of the game unfolds. How rewarding do you want a game to be? There are 9 characters to unlock along with 6 + New arenas and thats not to mention the costumes and concept art etc.

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance is HUGE in the sense that it is a deep game yet with so many unlockables you are rewarded for your hard work and perseverence. To say that it just doesn't reward enough doesn't do either the game or yourself justice. Either you haven't played Deadly Alliance or that you have and haven't realised how far Midway have gone to re-create the magic that was Mortal Kombat! The fatalities are much easier to perform and although some disappoint (I was expecting more from Scorpion) the majority are a joy to watch (if there is such a thing).

Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat Gold lacked the new innovations which Deadly Alliance has provided. I do not believe that all the data for Deadly Alliance would have fit on one CD but with the extra capacity that the DVD + GameCube CD's offer has enabled Ed Boon to take the Mortal Kombat in the right direction. It was clear with Trilogy and Gold that the fundimental aspects of gameplay were missing and it didn't feel or play like a Mortal Kombat game should do. However keeping faith with a series that had reached rock bottom was going to require my judgement to be spot on and thankfully Deadly Alliance is everything I had hoped it would be and then some more. Mortal Kombat went through a period of De-Evolution where the vital gameplay elements were missing and there wasn't enough for it to compete with the likes of Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur.

The fact that Mortal Kombat had spurned the elements for future fighting games was enough to keep me believing on what Deadly Alliance could achieve. Without sounding like a salesman or Midway PR I can not recommend Deadly Alliance high enough for people who want to re live the magical moments of Mortal Kombat. The new 3-Dimensional aspect of Deadly Alliance has opened up new doors for the series and fortunatley the fighting system is equally as good (if not better) than that seen in the original Mortal Kombat game. Deep, rewarding and a classic Mortal Kombat game that has delighted me and I am sure Mortal Kombat fans will say the same. Just when I thought it was time to shut the door on Midway and the Mortal Kombat series the tables have turned and once again I will anticpate the next game in Midways revived and very much alive fighting series!
Sun 23/02/03 at 01:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
When i say rewards for prolonged play im not talking about rubbish unlockables. Im talking about developing skill at using a character. Street fighter rewards practice, it is the beat em up of choice for the true gamer. It doesnt offer cheap tactics like in Mortal Kombat, where walking backing into a corner and using a back kick guaranteed victory against almost every computer opponent.
Sun 23/02/03 at 02:12
Regular
Cheap Tactics? You clearly haven't played Deadly Alliance otherwise you would understand the additions to the series. There are lots of combos to learn which takes time and patience and in doing so you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of fighting on the harder stages. The Arcade mode has a superb learning curve which starts off very easy and gradually gets harder and then into the realm of realistic fighting (in a Mortal Kombat sense) as you would expect from someone in that situation. Blocking plays a very big part this time around which other Mortal Kombats didn't and with the ability to reverse moves using certain characters this also adds a new dimension to the Mortal Kombat games.

Midway have revived the Mortal Kombat series yet I feel that the Street Fighter games have had their day. The last Street Fighter game I bought was Alpha 3X on the Playstation and it had the same effect on me that Mortal Kombat Trilogy did. Deadly Alliance has managed to advance gameplay mechanics without taking away the fundimental engine which made the series so popular back in 1992. Fights are harder and the full 360 degrees needs to be used in order to successfully pull off combos and dodge attacks. Environments now contain items which can effect the way you fight and there are destructable pillars which can be kicked and shattered onto your opponent.

If ever there was an example of how a series can advance without taking away the core gameplay of an original it would have to be Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. The new features are good enough for it to compete with other games on the market yet the game still keeps the original system in place and when the two are blended together it makes for great viewing and even better playing.

p.s, I personally wouldn't say that new characters, arenas, videos and costumes are "rubbish" especially when these characters include the likes of Raiden, Reptile, Cyrax and Jax. The second costumes are superbly designed and unlike some games they actually differ enough to notice a difference. There are some excellent videos like one which features Baraka and Quan Chi where Baraka tries to kill Quan Chi which makes compelling viewing (in a striktly Mortal Kombat sense). I am enjoying looking through all the character art and extras which the game has to offer and that is why I am getting the maximum amount of enjoyment out of the game. What would have been a waste would have been for Midway to patch out "yet another mediocre Mortal Kombat game" and not have bothered with the Krypt and scoring system. However thankfully they have bothered about what the gamer wants and how they can maximise the potential of the series and this has paid off in a superb game!
Sun 23/02/03 at 02:47
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Thanks Muddatrucker!

Always a pleasure.

And DreamWarBird, I got MKI when I was 4 :P
Sun 23/02/03 at 03:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You say that there are no cheap tactics, yet i believe NGC completed the game by hammering 1 button.
Sun 23/02/03 at 12:43
Regular
Either you haven't read it correctly or they haven't played the game on anything other than easy difficulty. If you would care to point me towards the source of this information I would care to read what they have put. Anyone who has played Deadly Alliance will understand how difficult the game gets later on and to say that it can be beaten with one button couldn't be any further from the actual truth. It is almost impossible to win the later fights without blocking so thats 2 buttons straight away, one button to block and one button to supposedly beat the opponent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.