GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Happened To This?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Operation Flashpoint'.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:13
Regular
The times in games where you only have one chance to do something or you have to start all over again?

I'm playing MX Superfly at the moment and the main mode is terribly easy. Not because the game itself is easy, or the races for that matter, but the actual concept of the whole thing is making it easy.

I am suppose to be doing a Career here and earning cash to go into different competitions and stuff. They put me at the start of say the 'Pro Championship' and from then I have to do three races, in between all that I can save. If I'm driving in a race and think I'm doing rubbish all I have to do is press Start and then Restart the race. Therefore I am taking part in the race and will keep going until I get first place which means the most cash.

What it should be like is they tell you this Championship is about to start and then you must do all three races, one after the other, without any chances to restart that current race. The only option is to opt out of the competition and then start it all over again.

Not only would that bring more challenge and realism to the whole thing but it would also make it alot more less of making me feel guilty. I suppose I could do it like I said up there my own way but the option of restarting a race if I'm doing rubbish is there to be used and just screams out to me. I can't help it.

They should put a stop to it.

This happens in other games aswell.

In MegaMan Zero, which I just got for my GBA, they give me the choice of three levels. I pick one, and I have three tries at it, after they are all up I can't do that level again. Take into account that the level itself is rock hard and then suddenly you come up against a boss EVERY SINGLE LEVEL which is harder then your average end of game boss. I have no problem with this, I like it, it gives me the challenge I want and it'll last alot longer then alot of other stuff I've got.

*Grandpa mode on*

Where's the challenge these days?
Sun 23/02/03 at 18:19
El Blokey wrote:
> There still are some unforgiving games. Maximo and Stuntman, for two.
> But really, to accomodate for the less dedicated gamers, we have
> continues, save points and the bane of my existence, quick saving.
> Watching my friend Joe playing Max Payne was excrutiating.
>
> *walk*
>
> *save*
>
> *turn corner*
>
> *save*

A good feature in games such as Resident Evil is the fact that the more times you save the more your rating decreases and then the less you earn; no big gun or new character etc.
This is a good feature to use on certain games but not others...
Sun 23/02/03 at 18:16
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Steel Batallion - one chance to eject or your save file is erased permenantly.

Tony Hawk games involve stringing together tons of moves, and often the really high scoring ones are pretty hard to repeat everytime - one bit wrong and it breaks the combo.

To a lesser degree, Blinx, one hit and you're dead.

Ghost Recon - one shot kills you most of the time

All the Rainbow Six games including the new Raven Shield mostly only give you one shot at a level, blow it in any way and it's back to the start for the most minor of mistakes.

So maybe the challenge is there, but you have to look for it ?

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:42
"Uzi Lover"
Ha, I actually do that saving thing even though I hate it. All it takes is a press of a button and then 'Save' and you're throguh the game in no time.

I only do it when I feel something is round the corner, like a big Alien type thing so your friend must get really scared of what is coming round the corners.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:39
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
There still are some unforgiving games. Maximo and Stuntman, for two. But really, to accomodate for the less dedicated gamers, we have continues, save points and the bane of my existence, quick saving. Watching my friend Joe playing Max Payne was excrutiating.

*walk*

*save*

*turn corner*

*save*
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:35
"Uzi Lover"
:-D

I actually like the game and so did you for like a day.

I remember reading a post of yours sayign "Just recieved MX Superfly, the races are quite fun etc" now you're totally against it.

I'm quite enjoying it.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
Don't tell me you've actually found a way of getting some enjoyment out of the pile of cess that is MX Superfly?

Try the Pizza delivery mini game, now that's just sh-t.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:17
"Uzi Lover"
I had the demo, I kept getting shot.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:15
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You should play Operation Flashpoint.
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:13
"Uzi Lover"
The times in games where you only have one chance to do something or you have to start all over again?

I'm playing MX Superfly at the moment and the main mode is terribly easy. Not because the game itself is easy, or the races for that matter, but the actual concept of the whole thing is making it easy.

I am suppose to be doing a Career here and earning cash to go into different competitions and stuff. They put me at the start of say the 'Pro Championship' and from then I have to do three races, in between all that I can save. If I'm driving in a race and think I'm doing rubbish all I have to do is press Start and then Restart the race. Therefore I am taking part in the race and will keep going until I get first place which means the most cash.

What it should be like is they tell you this Championship is about to start and then you must do all three races, one after the other, without any chances to restart that current race. The only option is to opt out of the competition and then start it all over again.

Not only would that bring more challenge and realism to the whole thing but it would also make it alot more less of making me feel guilty. I suppose I could do it like I said up there my own way but the option of restarting a race if I'm doing rubbish is there to be used and just screams out to me. I can't help it.

They should put a stop to it.

This happens in other games aswell.

In MegaMan Zero, which I just got for my GBA, they give me the choice of three levels. I pick one, and I have three tries at it, after they are all up I can't do that level again. Take into account that the level itself is rock hard and then suddenly you come up against a boss EVERY SINGLE LEVEL which is harder then your average end of game boss. I have no problem with this, I like it, it gives me the challenge I want and it'll last alot longer then alot of other stuff I've got.

*Grandpa mode on*

Where's the challenge these days?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.