GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"disturbing.................very"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 18:32
Regular
im currently experiencing a mind mix-up that makes me actually like older games.

at the moment im playing games i owned and threw up the attic ages ago.

i actually played Age Of Empires gold today, and i actually enjoyed it. at max res with a decent framerate, that game just has a smoothness about it that i love. the cheats available for it too are excellent, but i had a pop at it without cheats and found i wiped the floor with the enemy on moderate, which was pretty tough the last time i played it. the chunky sounds of the swords or the cool helepolises battering a midget villager. and the long-range cheat so i can launch long range huge arrows against buildings far away.

Delta Force 1 - now theres a game. i'd lost my cdkey and i was missing it badly, because delta force 2 runs slowly on mine, and for some reason i prefer green HUD's to orange ones, and that makes a very big impact. when i obtained one from some1 else i tried it and loved it. apart from being a pushover after getting used to quake 3 and half-life, it was fun - framerate was acceptable, the AI were thick as arabs (literally), and the grenade launcher was just too much fun when i had a convoy of soldiers and vehicles to blow up. i reckon Delta Force 1 is the best of the whole series for me because it can run ok on my 900mhz K7 with geforce 2(around 30 to 35 fps), and its got a certain refined visual side to it aswell. before i prefered sniper rifles and long range barrat's but now i prefer to use my own sharp aiming with the SAW-semi auto mode, and it was too much fun.

Rollercoaster tycoon has also become a favourite now. theres just something about making people pay like a tenner for the roundabout and make them walk through puke, and then put them in water for them to drown, rescue them, and then put loads on a piece of path separated from the others, precariously hanging over the water, and then delete the path and watch them all fall down painfully slowly, and sink like rocks in the water. perhaps i might just delete the path underground so they fall into the abyss in the centre of the earth. you cant beat it really...
i just want that mega park at the end. i HOPE it exists, or someone is going to get hurt.

of all games that i haven't played for a while, i thought i'd go back and visit half-life and opposing forces - maybe blueshift. for the hell of it i completed all the series on difficult again. like i said. for the hell of it. i even found myself attempting to code in Darkbasic and i got some interesting results too.

has anyone else experienced this condition before? if so, what games did you find yourself playing? i bet there are some wierd flahsback-type games you can pick out. lol.
Sun 23/02/03 at 18:32
Regular
im currently experiencing a mind mix-up that makes me actually like older games.

at the moment im playing games i owned and threw up the attic ages ago.

i actually played Age Of Empires gold today, and i actually enjoyed it. at max res with a decent framerate, that game just has a smoothness about it that i love. the cheats available for it too are excellent, but i had a pop at it without cheats and found i wiped the floor with the enemy on moderate, which was pretty tough the last time i played it. the chunky sounds of the swords or the cool helepolises battering a midget villager. and the long-range cheat so i can launch long range huge arrows against buildings far away.

Delta Force 1 - now theres a game. i'd lost my cdkey and i was missing it badly, because delta force 2 runs slowly on mine, and for some reason i prefer green HUD's to orange ones, and that makes a very big impact. when i obtained one from some1 else i tried it and loved it. apart from being a pushover after getting used to quake 3 and half-life, it was fun - framerate was acceptable, the AI were thick as arabs (literally), and the grenade launcher was just too much fun when i had a convoy of soldiers and vehicles to blow up. i reckon Delta Force 1 is the best of the whole series for me because it can run ok on my 900mhz K7 with geforce 2(around 30 to 35 fps), and its got a certain refined visual side to it aswell. before i prefered sniper rifles and long range barrat's but now i prefer to use my own sharp aiming with the SAW-semi auto mode, and it was too much fun.

Rollercoaster tycoon has also become a favourite now. theres just something about making people pay like a tenner for the roundabout and make them walk through puke, and then put them in water for them to drown, rescue them, and then put loads on a piece of path separated from the others, precariously hanging over the water, and then delete the path and watch them all fall down painfully slowly, and sink like rocks in the water. perhaps i might just delete the path underground so they fall into the abyss in the centre of the earth. you cant beat it really...
i just want that mega park at the end. i HOPE it exists, or someone is going to get hurt.

of all games that i haven't played for a while, i thought i'd go back and visit half-life and opposing forces - maybe blueshift. for the hell of it i completed all the series on difficult again. like i said. for the hell of it. i even found myself attempting to code in Darkbasic and i got some interesting results too.

has anyone else experienced this condition before? if so, what games did you find yourself playing? i bet there are some wierd flahsback-type games you can pick out. lol.
Mon 24/02/03 at 00:28
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
I know the feeling. I only really got into gaming a year or so ago, before that my parents would never let me play games. it all happened when we got a new PC, P3866 TNT2,Vibra 128. But, instead of going out and getting the newest games, released in that year (2000), I went out and got:

Drakan: Order Of The Flame Nice graphics, the dragon is fun to fly, sword combat gets a bit boring

Sin: OK, a bit boring after a while, though

Halflife: Excellent Level Design, you can ride this train thing and there are some neat crashes and you can airbomb stuff one time, Great AI, great graphics, Great atmosphere, just not really scary.

System Shock 2: Pretty scary, very tense, neat skills system, you can learn hacking and stuff. Problem is you can't even use a shotgun until you upgrade your skills, which uses precious skill thingos.

Unreal: Excellent Combat, flash guns, nice levels.

Deus Ex: This game is a pretty good reason for living, the plot is fantastic, in the future the government is using this virus to kill people, and you must stop them. Ypou begin by working for the G-men, but halfway through the game, you're not sure who to trust! It's that involving! You fell like you're actually there! Every level has you airdropped on the edge of a HUGE map, ands you cna complete the objectives any way you want, sneaking in through air ducts or going in the entrance all guns blazing. Also, you can't go in guns blazing until your skills are high enough. If you pick up a Sniper Rifle, you can use it, but not very well. You can upgrade your skills using skill points in these areas:
Heavy Weapons
rifles
Pistols
Demolition
Lockpicking
Hacking

and heaps more, you can finish a mission different ways depending on your skills! You can also attach robotic vits to yourself, such as a remote controlloed Spydrone, which is just too evil.
Mon 24/02/03 at 20:27
Regular
lol,

theres nothing at all to be ashamed of playing half-life again - its a classic no matter what other people who do not appreciate what it really did for all our games today.

as for system shock 2, ive only got the demo but it looks pretty forceful but at the same time a little scratchy in some places - but good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.