GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The guide to choosing a nickname"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/02/03 at 19:02
Regular
The first thing all of you have had to do when you registered with Special Reserve was choose a forum nickname. There are an abundance of nicknames around but most are fairly poor, yes that includes mine, so here is a guide for you poor lost souls on how to choose the perfect nickname.

1 - You need an empowering name that will make you seem cool but not unapproachable. Dark Mark is a perfect example of this.

2 - You should make you name humanish so you will be included in spoofs. If you call yourself "Flower Pot" you won't be included in Drunk Cow's or Microchips' extravaganzas

3 - Don't make you name too long because people will abbreviate your name severely. If you called yourself "Guss-The-Happy-Fellow-Who-Eats-Cheese" you would find youself called "Cheesy Guss" or "G"

4 - Do NOT use your real name. "Donald Jackobs" or "Peter Billy Sinclair" aren't good usernames, face it!

5 - Don't use numbers [Non applicable to me, of course]. Jon28752875895 will not be remembered as the best poster of the week, and won't win a GAD because staffies cannot be bothered typing all those numbers out!

6 - Don't call yourself Gaz or Gazza. Too many people do it and it just isn't special

7 - By naming yourself "Merka Dagron", you will not any credit or free games for been a namesake to the accredited lord of the GADs. You'll just annoy people

8 - Don't have a txt tlk, user name. For example - Jon_woz_ere_innit_02, Or I8-Mustard

9 - Don't decorate your name. *-:-)_Fairy'sRule_:-)-*©2002, is not good!

10 - If you are going to have a game related name, use a character not a console. What I mean is by all means called yourself "Mario" or something but dont called yourself "PS2isDaBestest"

11 - Be funny. Follow the likes of "Lou_Role" and other funny named genuises, this will mean your name will be remember and not forgoten.

12 - Dont make your name too short, "pb" I am looking at you

13 - Don't use all bizzare characters like "HomerBeerSolid" and the ó+]-[鮧 - it just looks cheap and nasty.

14 - Capitals do not make you a better person, right BEARDS ?

15 - Don't copy someone elses name to annoy them, grrr.

Thanks for reading, I dont expect any more bad names from this point onwards!
Tue 25/02/03 at 09:58
Regular
"Despondent"
Good post. froots is a good nickname. I like my abstract view, too.
Tue 25/02/03 at 09:50
Regular
"aliens exist"
just like mine
Tue 25/02/03 at 09:22
Regular
My nickname is cool!
Tue 25/02/03 at 09:21
Regular
I have no idea where froots came from.
Tue 25/02/03 at 07:50
Regular
"Party Hard"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Its what Jewish people ALWAYS say on tv and in films. Gah!

I've never noticed that.

And before anyone says, I am NOT Jewish.

Although i know someone who is and everybody hates him. I'm not saying anything.
Mon 24/02/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Reznor wrote:
> Nickname schmickname

Are you Jewish?

Its what Jewish people ALWAYS say on tv and in films. Gah!
Mon 24/02/03 at 19:32
Regular
"Black pepper?"
(Y) (MSN thumb thingy). :-)
Mon 24/02/03 at 19:32
Regular
"Wanted: Fat Plumber"
Nickname schmickname, :: bows down to Mario World ::, it's taught me everything I know :o)
Mon 24/02/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Its ok mate it's just not too good seeing stuff I spend ages writing getting comments like "Dont you try for gad enough" and things like that. Its all forgotten though mate :-)
Mon 24/02/03 at 19:26
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Well then, I guess I owe you an apologie.

I can’t really understand why, because I hated writing when I was at school. Then again I like writing reviews. Meh I can't win. :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.