GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Band Names??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/01/02 at 23:14
Regular
Band names? Every band has a name, some are cool and well thought out. Others are pants and really poor.
Most of these are true reasons why the bands choose their particular name but as always there is probably a few which aren't true and have been made up as a joke. There are millions of bands out there, I'll do some of the ones that I like and that are popular. If you know any more please add them. Goatboy why is your band called Parker??

Manic Street Preachers
Singer James Dean Bradfield used to busk in the streets of Cardiff, but would not accept any money. Somebody dropped a few coins onto the ground by him and Bradders hurled a tirade of abuse at him. The man replied: "What are you, boyo, some kind of manic street preacher?"

Abba
Abba is "father" in Hebrew. It's also an acronym for the first names of the band members: Agnetha Fältskog, Björn
Ulvaeus, Benny Anderson and Anni-Frid (Frida) Lyngstad.

Greenday
Billy Joe wrote a song when he was really high and called it Green Day. The drummer got it put on a jacket and people thought it was the band name and it stuck, they were originally named Sweet Children.

Radiohead
Named after a Talking Heads' song called "Radio Head."

The Beatles
Stuart Sutcliffe came up with THE BEETLES in 1960, which was evidently a play on Buddy Holly's CRICKETS. They went by THE QUARRYMEN and THE SILVER BEETLES awhile later, then shortened and mutated that to THE BEATLES. Lennon and Sutcliffe may have also been influenced by the film "The Wild One", which featured a motorcycle gang called the Beetles. John Lennon is generally credited with combining Beetles and Beat to come up with THE BEATLES spelling. Lennon was also fond of saying he had a vision as a child of a flaming pie in the sky that said, "You are Beatles with an "A"...

Blink 182
Blink 182 used to be just "Blink" but was threatened by a lawsuit from a little known Irish band with the same name, so they added the 182 which is the number of times the f-word was said in one of the members favourite movies.

Barenaked ladies
It is supposed to be rude, but somewhat innocent, as in a child seeing a bare naked lady for the first time. They thought it up while bored at a Dylan concert. The name gets people's attention too.

Sterophonics
I can't remember the full story but one of the members had an old music player in their house with the word stereophonic. The name came from that.

Foo Fighters
David Grohl was fascinated by the Roswell incident and sci-fi in general. He decided to name his new project after a slang expression used in World War II by US pilots to describe the alien-looking fireballs they sometimes saw over Germany. Foo is a mutation of the French word for fire, "fue".

Goo Goo Dolls
Their label rejected their first name, THE SEX MAGGOTS. They were drunkenly looking through "True Detective" magazine and saw an ad on the back page for a "Goo Goo Doll". It was a doll head that you put your finger in to change its expression.

Michael Stipe closed his eyes and stuck his finger in a dictionary. R.E.M. (Rapid Eye Movement) is a state of sleep.

Meatloaf
Marvin Lee Aday's high school football coach in Dallas called him "Meatloaf" because of his size

Travis
This Scottish band was inspired by the movie "Paris, Texas". TRAVIS is the lead character. Texas also got their name from this film.

Aerosmith
It was evidently a word Joey Kramer wrote all over his notebooks in high school. Some think the 1925 book "Arrowsmith" by Sinclair Lewis inspired them.

U2
A type of spy plane used by the United States. Bono explained once that U2 grew out of thoughts of interactivity with the audience. As in "you too." Bono started calling guitar player David Evans "The Edge" because of the shape of his head. Were previously called "The Hype" which is the name of a band which a few of my friends are part off.

Counting Crows
When Duritz and Bryson first performed as an acoustic duo they call themselves Counting Crows after an English divination rhyme. "...If you hang on to the flimsiness of anything, you might as well be standing there, counting crows..."

Led Zeppelin
In the late 60's Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Entwistle started putting together a new project, so far named THE NEW YARDBIRDS. Keith Moon told them "that'll go over like a lead zeppelin". Moon's suspicions make sense given the time. The YARDBIRDS sounded somewhat awkward in their last months when they performed Page's new song "Dazed and Confused". The "Led" spelling insured that people would pronounce the name right. Somehow Entwistle didn't end up in the final Zeppelin line-up.

But then there are the rumours that people make up. Which can be a fun thing to do. Here are some I made up in the comical name of humour.

Radiohead
Got their name after Thom Yorke got really drunk and glued a radio to the side of the head. The other members began to call him Radiohead and the name was born.

Counting Crows
They got their name after Adam Duritz spent a whole day trying to write a song but instead counted how many crows flew past. When asked where the song was he said, "Bloomin' counting crows" and that was it.

Foo Fighters
After playing a small gig in Scotland they went to party afterwards, two of the band members got a little drunk and had a small fight. David Grohl asked the landlord if they should break it up and he replied. "Nah laddie, they are just Foo Fighters" (Foo = Scottish word for being drunk.)

U2
Bono and Edge went to try join a band and had to play together, they competed with others and at the end the band pointed at them and said "Err you two". They left a few weeks later to start their own band. U2.

Blink 182
Named because their lead singer has the freakish ability to blink 182 times in 40 seconds. Don't ask why or how this was discovered, we don't need proof.

BareNaked ladies
When they were starting out under a different name they were supposed to play a gig at a bar but were double booked with a travelling strip show. The man said "and now the barenaked ladies" and they began playing while ladies stripped. They decided the new name would be better but ditched the strippers as they just distracted the drummer too much.

Travis
They are huge fans of Travis Tritt and decided to start a band that did cover versions of his track, then they wrote some of their own stuff which they realised was much better. They no longer sing country music as well to be honest it is rather pants.

Abba
Being Swedish they new very little English, Abba is a word they muttered when they didn't know the English equivalent, they then were called Abba as nobody really new what else to call them.

Meatloaf
He had the freakish ability to eat a whole meatloaf in two bites. Some say he was just fat. Who knows? Took up singing as a laugh and became famous.
Sat 12/01/02 at 17:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Who else knew that Linkin Park were originally called 'Xero'?? Then when Chester Bennington came along, thay changed their name to 'Hybrid Theory'. But they already found a band with that name and decided on 'Linkin Park', yes it was named after a random place! And incase you didn't know, 'Hybrid Theory' is the name of their debut album.

Anyone know where 'Less Than Jake' or 'Taproot' got their names from??? I'm just interested to know.
Sat 12/01/02 at 17:05
Regular
"He's back"
My brothers band iz called GAMMA
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:24
Linkin Park: Rock band with 2 guitarists, 2 vocalists, 1 drummer and 1 keyboard player. Main album: Hybrid Theory Main single: One Step Closer, Papercut, Crawling and In The End

Lost Prophets: Wicked welsh punk rock band. Only song they sing that I have heard is Shinobi vs Ninja Dragons.

New Found Glory: First album also called New Found Glory. Dressed to kill is an amazing song.
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:57
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I'd call it something like "I suck" or "I'm going to make a fool out of myself", just to hear the TV presenter say "And now...I'm going to make a fool out of myself!".

OK that was lame, abuse may be hurled.
Sun 06/01/02 at 18:00
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stereohead. 'Cause if I was gonna be in a band, it'd be a Radiohead tribute :-)
Sun 06/01/02 at 17:55
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just thought of something.

If you had a band or are in a band.
What would you call yourself? or what are you called?
And what are the reasons for the name you picked?
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:50
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Goatboy wrote:
> Parker.

Why the name?
Don't be so nosy.

Boom-boom.
There is another
> reason, but I forgot.

: )
Must admit it is a pretty cool name.
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Parker.

Why the name?
Don't be so nosy.

Boom-boom.
There is another reason, but I forgot.
Sat 05/01/02 at 13:07
Regular
"You've upset me"
Grifter, Raxle. There, best name sI can come up with :-P

I believe that aManic Street Preacher in every town gives a certain pyscho-social bolstering and heightens the community spirit...

Sat 05/01/02 at 13:03
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Agreed, Manics Street Preachers is a great name for a band :-)

I'm gonna make
> myself go mad, become a minster then preach on the srteets simply so I can call
> myself a Manic Street Preacher :-D

Follow in the steps of Bradfield eh? I'm going to need some glue and a radio - I want to follow in the steps (no pun intended) of Thom Yorke. My band has been going for a while, but we can't think (or can't be bothered to think, more like) of a name! Any suggestions? Just a little info:

Our drummer's name is Ben.
Our vocalist's/guitarist 1's name is Oliver.
Our keyboarder's name is David.
Our 2nd guitarist's name is Mark (me)

Jesus christ - Fender guitars rule!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.