GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The future of GameBoys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/01/02 at 19:36
Regular
The GameBoy Advance is the latest in the never-ending line of GameBoy productions. With a slightly en-larged screen, 32-bit colour, a GameGear shape design the question must be asked: 'How much longer will Nintendo keep using cartridges???'

Nintendo have recently finnished producing games on carts with the end of the N64. Finnished maybe, but never forgotten! While other consoles were rushing out to find the latest technology, just to compete with them, Nintendo were sticking with the basics and what has worked best. They did enrole in a CD system with plans of the highly-anticipated 64 DD. But that never even reached the shelves over here, and the Japanese gamers were just as happy to stick with their cartridges as nothing seemes 'extra special' on this new machine.

So CD's have proved to be a failure for Nintendo in the past, but hopefully that won't effect the future, starting with possibly their best ever console to date in the GameCube.

Ninendo have now found that they can only go so far with the technology of cartridges at a larger scale, and now feel that the time is right for CD's to be their next step forward. But the latest GameBoy model is still using the good old carts, and no plans have been suggested of the use of an alternative source, like CD's. Is the time approaching for a similar change to take effect on the GameBoy??

Surely Nintendo can't expect to stick with the clunky carts forever?? Although they are more suitable for gaming in some ways more than others. It seems that any type of CD can now be copied and sold for a cheaper price, meaning the big companies lose money. Look at the chippable Playstation for example, and how the sales of the console rose whie the games sales were reduced. All due to piracy! Cartridges on the other hand cannot be copied and also allow you to store and save memory/game data on them. Saving you the need to pay extra just for a memory card.

But what would Nintendo's other alternative's be??? You can store great amounts of information on CD's, meaning the games and it's graphics could be a lot better. But you would also require a memory card for saving game data which would require the size of the GameBoy to be increased. The size would also be effected due to the size of CD's. Unless they used CD's sized similar to those of the GameCube, the GameBoy would require to be more rounded, odd-looking and may not appeal to youunger people.

What about Mini-Discs?? They're small, compact, and you can store loads on just one disc (the equivalent of 4 CD's, 320 minutes). They're also shaped like floppy discs and could slot in easily. The only problem would be that you would also require to save your info. on a memory card, which could also effect the size of the console. But at least it can store loads of info., which would be good for the next GameBoy, as it's likely to be 64-bit.

The only other option I can think of is MP3! But this would involve you spending hours downloading massive 64-bit adventures, all for free! This would be good for you but terrible for the developers. They'd be getting nothing from it, except customer satisfaction. Or they'd create a system that allows you to pay for the games you download, or up-load them from your PC using discs you can buy. They'd somehow come up with a way of making you pay though! Nintendo may aim their products mainly at kids, but even kids have to pay for games.

I still think that Mini-Discs with a memory card would be the best alternative to cartridges. Who knows what will happen to GameBoys in the future?? I still think that a 64-bit GameBoy would be fantastic! A no.1 for all N64 fans!! I will be writing an idea for a GameBoy soon, and it'll be appearing in the lonely Game Ideas forum.
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The GameBoy Advance is the latest in the never-ending line of GameBoy productions. With a slightly en-larged screen, 32-bit colour, a GameGear shape design the question must be asked: 'How much longer will Nintendo keep using cartridges???'

Nintendo have recently finnished producing games on carts with the end of the N64. Finnished maybe, but never forgotten! While other consoles were rushing out to find the latest technology, just to compete with them, Nintendo were sticking with the basics and what has worked best. They did enrole in a CD system with plans of the highly-anticipated 64 DD. But that never even reached the shelves over here, and the Japanese gamers were just as happy to stick with their cartridges as nothing seemes 'extra special' on this new machine.

So CD's have proved to be a failure for Nintendo in the past, but hopefully that won't effect the future, starting with possibly their best ever console to date in the GameCube.

Ninendo have now found that they can only go so far with the technology of cartridges at a larger scale, and now feel that the time is right for CD's to be their next step forward. But the latest GameBoy model is still using the good old carts, and no plans have been suggested of the use of an alternative source, like CD's. Is the time approaching for a similar change to take effect on the GameBoy??

Surely Nintendo can't expect to stick with the clunky carts forever?? Although they are more suitable for gaming in some ways more than others. It seems that any type of CD can now be copied and sold for a cheaper price, meaning the big companies lose money. Look at the chippable Playstation for example, and how the sales of the console rose whie the games sales were reduced. All due to piracy! Cartridges on the other hand cannot be copied and also allow you to store and save memory/game data on them. Saving you the need to pay extra just for a memory card.

But what would Nintendo's other alternative's be??? You can store great amounts of information on CD's, meaning the games and it's graphics could be a lot better. But you would also require a memory card for saving game data which would require the size of the GameBoy to be increased. The size would also be effected due to the size of CD's. Unless they used CD's sized similar to those of the GameCube, the GameBoy would require to be more rounded, odd-looking and may not appeal to youunger people.

What about Mini-Discs?? They're small, compact, and you can store loads on just one disc (the equivalent of 4 CD's, 320 minutes). They're also shaped like floppy discs and could slot in easily. The only problem would be that you would also require to save your info. on a memory card, which could also effect the size of the console. But at least it can store loads of info., which would be good for the next GameBoy, as it's likely to be 64-bit.

The only other option I can think of is MP3! But this would involve you spending hours downloading massive 64-bit adventures, all for free! This would be good for you but terrible for the developers. They'd be getting nothing from it, except customer satisfaction. Or they'd create a system that allows you to pay for the games you download, or up-load them from your PC using discs you can buy. They'd somehow come up with a way of making you pay though! Nintendo may aim their products mainly at kids, but even kids have to pay for games.

I still think that Mini-Discs with a memory card would be the best alternative to cartridges. Who knows what will happen to GameBoys in the future?? I still think that a 64-bit GameBoy would be fantastic! A no.1 for all N64 fans!! I will be writing an idea for a GameBoy soon, and it'll be appearing in the lonely Game Ideas forum.
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
well i think that the only reason NINTY will keep bringing out Gameboys is because everyone buys them as it has never had any real competition but i do think it is out of order keep changing the design every 3 years or whatever.
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:44
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Nice post, I hope you win GAD for it. Unlike me, who did an (amazing) review for Twisted Metal: Black to have it snatched away from me by Mattyboy - who wrote a review for the game on the same day :-(
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks outlaw. Better luck next time.
Fri 04/01/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
SR seem to like gameboy posts. I won for one before, saying how the gameboy got to where t is today. But I also said how the GBA wasnt quite what I expected.

A good post with some nice ideas
Fri 04/01/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Before I wrote a review of twisted metal, but that didnt win either, It was one of my best I thought.
Sat 05/01/02 at 07:28
Regular
"everyone says it"
CDouch wrote:
> SR seem to like gameboy posts. I won for one before, saying how the gameboy got
> to where t is today. But I also said how the GBA wasnt quite what I
> expected.

A good post with some nice ideas

The GBA rules. Thats what my topic would say, I have no other words for a great console, machine and way of life. What a beaut.
Sat 05/01/02 at 14:37
Regular
pop
Sat 05/01/02 at 15:08
Regular
"You've upset me"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> pop
Sat 05/01/02 at 19:57
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i really think they should have made gba more powerfull although the games look good for a handheld, i would expect a bit better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.