GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will virtual reality become popular?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/02/03 at 10:50
Regular
About five or so years ago, People were talking about this hotly anticipated Virtual reality, where you wore this silly Darth-Vader-Helmet-cum-Headset, covered yourself with fibreoptics and dived around like a lunatic octopus on cocaine. I remember these basic sets on TV, and people saying that proper 'VR' would be a reality by 2000. But apart from proper 3D graphics and much more powerful PCs and consoles, none ofthis has benn real.
Eidos had a competiton on the sleeve of CM 01/02 to win one of these helmets to use for PC and consoles, but I think that they were just an excuse to get people to buy their games. These hats were never a big thing, probably due to a high price, screamed out from Eidos towers next to the 10ft statue of Lara Croft; something near to £115.95. It never took off at all and it was just a prototype I guess.
So when will VR really take off? When complete 3D landscapes are created by scores of Flourescant monkeys wearing versace? Or when more people can afford fibreoptic suits you can't fit in your sitting room? I'd guess it'll be popular in giant vaccumed- trampoline lined cabinets in about 10-15 years. In Futurama Fry, Bender and Leela were in a platform game killing each other, running around with lasersin their fingers, but that is supposed to be in the year 3000, which when Busted think they may be finally popular. It all seems so far off. Sorry about the exaggerating, but I read Digitiser on Teletext.
Tue 25/02/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
About five or so years ago, People were talking about this hotly anticipated Virtual reality, where you wore this silly Darth-Vader-Helmet-cum-Headset, covered yourself with fibreoptics and dived around like a lunatic octopus on cocaine. I remember these basic sets on TV, and people saying that proper 'VR' would be a reality by 2000. But apart from proper 3D graphics and much more powerful PCs and consoles, none ofthis has benn real.
Eidos had a competiton on the sleeve of CM 01/02 to win one of these helmets to use for PC and consoles, but I think that they were just an excuse to get people to buy their games. These hats were never a big thing, probably due to a high price, screamed out from Eidos towers next to the 10ft statue of Lara Croft; something near to £115.95. It never took off at all and it was just a prototype I guess.
So when will VR really take off? When complete 3D landscapes are created by scores of Flourescant monkeys wearing versace? Or when more people can afford fibreoptic suits you can't fit in your sitting room? I'd guess it'll be popular in giant vaccumed- trampoline lined cabinets in about 10-15 years. In Futurama Fry, Bender and Leela were in a platform game killing each other, running around with lasersin their fingers, but that is supposed to be in the year 3000, which when Busted think they may be finally popular. It all seems so far off. Sorry about the exaggerating, but I read Digitiser on Teletext.
Tue 25/02/03 at 10:51
"Darkness, always"
What's silly about a Darth Vader helmet?
Tue 25/02/03 at 10:58
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Ha ha! Lol!

*grimaces in fond remembrance at the photo of the year*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.