GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why The Streets caused the great SEGA flop."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 09:22
Regular
SEGA are now busy developing games stretching across the 3 consoles. They used to be the console giant - the Mega Drive being the ‘in thing’ those many years ago.
However, their console manufacturing ability declined - Saturn wasn’t as successful as hoped, and there on other project went horribly wrong. Their other project? The Dreamcast.
Not many people know it, but original urban artist The Streets was actually responsible for the great Sega flop - and I’ll explain just how.

The first track on their album is entitled ‘Turn the Page’. Although the actual content of the song is not based around Sega, many workers at Sega believe that The Streets were making a subtle gesture to Sega, hinting that perhaps Dreamcast was failing, and Sega should ‘Turn the Page’ before their fall got harder. Sega, however, knocked these comments away, and carried on. However, their judgment to ignore The Streets ‘Turn the Page’ message turned ‘pear’, as The Streets like to say.

The second track is entitled ‘Has it Come to This?’. Sega thought that The Streets were referring to the Dreamcast as a last resort from Sega, and so were criticising this ambitious attempt with the message ‘Has it Come to This?’. Sega had no real reason for assuming the song was a shot at DC. Although the lyric which mentioned ‘64s, PlayStations’ was referred to as a blatant attempt to try and throw DC out of the picture once and for all.

Moving on to Track Three, and you can almost see where Sega are coming from when mentioning ‘Let’s Push Things Forward’. This was thought of as a clear-cut attempt to try and remove Dreamcast from the market by telling the industry to ‘Push things forward’, leaving Sega stuck on their own behind the pack. It seemed to work, and Sega fans all over the world see this as the main reason that their beloved machine went down the drain.

Track Four, entitled Sharp Darts. This was said to be The Streets blatantly highlighting the lack of dart games. Sega weren’t proud of this gaping whole in the market - although it was covered pretty well until The Streets highlighted it. If The Streets hadn’t shown everyone the lack of darting, then maybe everyone would have stuck with Shenmue and Sonic and Dreamcast would still be around today - who knows?

Track Five, called ‘Same Old Thing’, was said to be a pop at the lack of originality on Sega. It wasn’t really a justified attack on Sega, as Crazy Taxi and Shenmue were among many original hits. However, the fact that for the most part DC was littered with genres already bursting was thought to be the reason that The Streets launched this attack. Although there was no sure-fire proof that this track was an attack on Sega, everyone working on the DC was almost certain that this was what The Streets were implying.

The next track is called ‘Geezer’s Need Excitement’. This was suggesting that the DC was dull and boring, and that gamers, or in this case ‘geezers’ need more exciting games. Sega were quick to fire back saying that Shenmue, among other games, was very exciting, but The Streets ignored these comments. Slowly but surely, The Streets were starting to really annoy Sega. Although The Streets denied any verbal attacks at Sega, the people at Sega HQ were having none of it, and made sure to carry on, regardless of what The Streets thought.

‘It’s Too Late’ was heard in Sega HQ right after the unveiling of the Sega online plans, and Sega immediately judged this as a statement saying that it is ‘Too Late’ for Sega to try and shove life into the DC - The Streets were apparently trying to convince everyone that DC was a lost cause. And it seemed to work, Sega furious and The Streets looking guilty, even though no songs contained any Sega content.

Moving on, and Sega went really mad when The Streets seemingly went all personal by accusing Sega of drinking ‘Too Much Brandy’. This was, in Sega’s view, “A step too far. They first insult the DC, but now they insult us as well?” The Streets were taking no prisoners, and with nothing saying that any of their songs were directed at Sega, there was no option of Sega going all legal. The Streets seemed to be serving the Aces - and there was no proof that they were actually trying to, either.

The height of all the accusations, ‘Don’t Mug Yourself’ apparently contained lots of point-blank insults towards the Dreamcast. Firstly, the title was thought to be telling Sega that they were being too ambitious, and The Streets apparently thought they should not ‘Mug’ themselves, and give up now. The second, and final insult was ‘You need to hold it down Jack, put your phone back’. This was thought of by the Sega staff as a comment regarding their Online plans. The Jack of the piece was thought of as a nickname for Sega. Sega were really getting annoyed, and if The Streets were actually trying to bring Sega down, they were doing a very good job of it.

‘Who Got The Funk?’ - Not Sega, apparently. ‘The Funk’ is meant to be the glitz; the popularity; the spark; the shine. And Sega weren’t too happy when they were blatantly told that they didn’t have the Funk. Most Sega employees even think of this song as an advert for Sony’s console dominance, which makes them even more annoyed.

Although no hidden message was extracted from the title ‘The Irony of It All’, it was the hidden message inside that made the Sega workers furious. Firstly, there is a mention of PlayStations in the song. Not Dreamcast, but PlayStations. A blatant Sony advert, if ever Sega saw one. Secondly, the line ‘I’ve just completed Gran Turismo on the hardest setting’ angered up many pints of Sega blood, as the obvious ‘Sony is better than Sega’ message was just uncalled for. It wasn’t ‘I’ve just completed Shenmue, or Sonic, or Crazy Taxi’. It was Sony’s pride and joy, Gran Turismo.

The ‘Weak become heroes’, according to The Streets, and as Sega have been in the console industry many a year, they aren’t weak? So, who is? Although the song doesn’t say, Sega workers believe that this was a pop at the fact that small companies like Rockstar were going to do better than Sega - and guess what, they did.

‘Who Dares Wins’ is a popular phrase, but The Streets apparently tried to show the inconsistency of this phrase, by showing that the daring Sega have in fact lost. Sega were so angry about this that they considered calling it a day.

Still, they persevered, but eventually, as predicted, the Sega rock crumbled, and right when Sega looked completely stuck, The Streets turned the tide and apparently told Sega to ‘Stay Positive’. This sweet little message convinced Sega to turn into the successful developer it is today.

Although no-one besides Sega actually sees any links between The Streets’ songs and the Dreamcast, Sega fans still use it as their main source of verbal ammunition when opposed by smug PS2 owners. The Streets hidden messages apparently made Sega feel so bad, that their morale completely slipped, meaning they lost concentration and the Dreamcast fell off the market.
So, next time you see a fat, balding man spitting into a Streets CD case, or the next time you here little Japanese people squawking on about hidden messages, you’ll know why.
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
If only I had a gun that worked in Chat Forums..
Sat 01/03/03 at 15:13
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I disagree.
As this topic is all nulled and voided anyway.
Sat 01/03/03 at 15:01
Regular
This thread reaches 50 replies, and I am the RPC king!
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
All your taglines are belong to us.
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:49
Regular
"  "
Me! I posted in your thread. Mwahahah. See my hmmmmm destroy you!
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Festivus!"
Won am Idlewild
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:47
Regular
then who am the wonner?
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
gerrid am the winner
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:43
Regular
Won in the form of winning or in the form on wonning?
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:40
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The surely I have won

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.