GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N E 1 still play it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/09/00 at 23:57
Regular
Does anyone still play the faithful SNES?

It was great as you didn't have to buy loads of addons to save games! You could play multiplayer split screen! And a lot of great classics started off on it!

Although it did have it's bad points! It was only able to take 2 player games. some of the games had to take level passwords instead of saving.

I got mine 2 years ago and it's great! My favourite game is Zelda! It had a long lastability with loads of secrets to find! THe levels were big and some of the puzzles quite difficult and the originality of some of the baddies made the game even more popular! If I had a choice of an N64 with Perfect Dark or a SNES with Zelda I'd probably choose the SNES!

If you don't believe me then buy one second hand and try it!
Tue 12/09/00 at 21:39
Super Mario Kart was really ace, but when Mario Kart 64 came out it was always said to be not as good as the SNES original. Why I don't know. I have played them both very extensively, and managed to crack out everything each game has to offer but I find Mario Kart 64 much more fun and enjoyable than Super Mario Kart. The kart can be controlled so much easier, and there are some new items to be picked up that add that extra bit of spice to the game. Super Mario Kart was great, but Mario Kart 64 is just so much better. I can't wait to see what Mario Kart Advance will be like to play!
Thu 07/09/00 at 12:09
Regular
"not dead"
I still play my SNES! It's great. Top games were Chrono Trigger, which was never released in this country, but i bought it whilst in Canada! Secret of Mana was fantastic. What about Nintendo's first football management sim Kevin Keegan Player Manager? Fantastic. ISS was great, but the N^$ version is better. Also in Mario Kart 64 you can hold things behind you to protect yourself, just hold the button on. You can also launch green shells behind you if you hold back when you let it go!
Wed 06/09/00 at 18:01
Some classic games were far superior in terms of playability than their newer counterparts. MarioKart64 is a prime example, sure its fun to play in 4 player mode. However if you compare the 2player mode of Mariokart64 to Mariokart(SNES), then in my opinion the latter is far superior.
The battles were intense, and even strategic...for example on Mariokart(SNES) you could protect yourself from attack from behind by holding a banna, red or green shell behind you! This sort of strategy was chucked out the window in the N64 version. On the original version you could move your characters head back and forth before the start of each race..so as to identify which character you were...this was a feature that should have been kept, especially for the 4 player N64 version.
In conclusion the original Mariokart was a much better 2 player game, The battle arena's in the N64 version were only meant to be played with 4 players. Mariokart 64 is still a great game, the 4 player mode its saving grace. But the original rules in 2 player mode.
Wed 06/09/00 at 16:12
I own a SNES and yes, it was and still is the best console. Yes next generation consoles will thrash the pants off the SNES's graphics but nothing will beat that pick-up and play feel of the SNES games.
My favourite games were Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Zelda and ISS Deluxe and all of these games are better then their N64 versions, I should know I own both versions!
The way you got involved in a game and the way there was hours of gameplay packed in every game, has never been bettered by games that are praised not for how they play but how they look.
Games like Flashback, Mario and Kirby show that 2d platform games are as good as their 3d counterparts.
SNES: Super Nintendo Entertainment System. And the console lives up to its name!

Sim
Wed 06/09/00 at 12:53
The Snes was great if you are still using it and haven't played Secret of Mana you are missing a great game. Mario Kart was a classic and the N64 version doesn't feel the same, it lost something on its conversions. The Snes produced some gameplay experiences that the programmers today could learn a lot off.
Wed 06/09/00 at 09:16
Actually The SNES could have up to five players if you got a multitap, however only afew great games took advantage of this, such as International Superstar Soccer Deulux ...we owe alot to that game...that paved the way for great multiplayer games such as ISS Pro Evolution on the Playstation. Bomberman on the SNES also allowed up to 4 players. If you like Zelda on the Snes you should try Alundra on the Playstation
Des
Tue 05/09/00 at 18:38
I think it's sad they got rid of Koopa Troopa in the N64 sequal of Super Mario Kart: Mario Kart 64.

He was my second fav. character! My favourite was Toad! Lucky for me he's still in the N64 version! I hope he's in the Gameboy Advanced version!
Tue 05/09/00 at 17:18
Yeah I owned one. Even though it wasn't as successful as the Mega Drive (In tems of sales). I owned both Consoles of 16-bit wonder; both the snes and mega drive.

Don't know what it was though, the mega drive just seemed to lack the sparkle the Snes had! I'll never forget when I got Mario Kart for my birthday. the experience of playing one of the best games of all time on my television, learning to control Koopa Trooper (my Fave Character!), taking corners badly and been shot up the backside by Bowser with a fireball!!! Pure Bliss!

No console to date has had the "play Me!" power the Snes had over me. Sure next-gen console owners have their fancy graphics and stuff, but give me good old "Press Start" playability of the Snes anyday!!!

M.
Tue 05/09/00 at 10:25
I never owned a SNES but if I did I would have purchased Pilot Wings!

I would probably still be playing it to this day as it seemed remarkably more-ish!!
Mon 04/09/00 at 23:57
Does anyone still play the faithful SNES?

It was great as you didn't have to buy loads of addons to save games! You could play multiplayer split screen! And a lot of great classics started off on it!

Although it did have it's bad points! It was only able to take 2 player games. some of the games had to take level passwords instead of saving.

I got mine 2 years ago and it's great! My favourite game is Zelda! It had a long lastability with loads of secrets to find! THe levels were big and some of the puzzles quite difficult and the originality of some of the baddies made the game even more popular! If I had a choice of an N64 with Perfect Dark or a SNES with Zelda I'd probably choose the SNES!

If you don't believe me then buy one second hand and try it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.