GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime - who's played it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Wed 26/02/03 at 21:06
Regular
I haven't . . . yet,

but my birthday is coming up and I'm sure some kind person will purchase it for me. That's beside the point though. I want someone who's played it to tell me about it.

I'm not interested in the stunning graphics, sound, or how you get sucked in and how I'll miss a weeks worth of sleep. What I am interested in is the user interface as I've read that its radically different to other games in the genre.

This is a very bold step by nintendo. Usually interfaces don't change much, because even though everyone is looking for innovative new games, they still need to be sufficiently close to well established genres to know that the game has at least a chance of selling. If a player has to take the time to learn how a new interface works this could be distracting from the main goals of the game. If anything, for a perfect interface the player should not realise it is there at all. The player is able to think more about what he or she is doing and not worry about how he or she is going to do it. I gather that to begin with at least that will not be the case for Metroid.

The only reason I can see for changing the interface is that it must offer far more functionality necessary to play Metroid Prime that the regular interface of a game like Halo for instance is unable to produce.

So, what buttons do what, what new functions are available and above all was the different interface worth the risk that nintendo have taken including it rather than opting for a regular interface?
Thu 27/02/03 at 18:43
Regular
"I ush!"
Ros's right,
I'm busy making banners right now, but I'll be in touch with whitestripes sometime in the future to talk about metroid prime :)
Thu 27/02/03 at 16:26
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
He is designing banners at the mo.
I told him about the compo.
He'll be back
Thu 27/02/03 at 16:17
Regular
He put me on MSN

heh
Thu 27/02/03 at 15:59
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Doesn't look like the guy came back to find out about the game...

...or maybe he drowned in a pool of saliva.

Yes, that'll be it.
Wed 26/02/03 at 22:33
Regular
And if you want to hear me foam at the mouth and rant about how good it is (or answer questions) then my MSN/e-mail is: [email protected]
Wed 26/02/03 at 22:30
Regular
It has a different interface because it is NOT a FPS.

L - Lock on, scan when using scan visor, grapple beam

R - Look/Manual Aim, activate spider ball in morph ball mode

Z - Map

Stick - move forwards/backwards, turn left/right

A - Fire, Hold for charge, bomb in morph ball mode

B - Jump, space jump, boost in morph ball mode

X - Toggle between morph ball/normal

Y - Fire missile, power bomb in morph ball

D-Pad - Select Visor

C-Stick - Select beam

Super Missiles and other combo weapons are fired differently, for example, charge the power beam (standard weapon) and press Y to fire a super missile.

I tried not to give away too many item spoilers.

Normal is in first person, morph ball is in third person.

If you think the controls are rubbish, if you scream, 'You can't strafe!' then you obviously haven't played it for more than half an hour.

The whole game is simply superb.
Wed 26/02/03 at 21:16
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yeah, I played it.

Yeah, it's brilliant.

Yeah, you'll love it.

Not played it enough to really tell you anything about it though.

:-)

Whitestripes has got it, so you could ask him some stuff. He'll be about in the Ninty forum.
Wed 26/02/03 at 21:06
Regular
"I ush!"
I haven't . . . yet,

but my birthday is coming up and I'm sure some kind person will purchase it for me. That's beside the point though. I want someone who's played it to tell me about it.

I'm not interested in the stunning graphics, sound, or how you get sucked in and how I'll miss a weeks worth of sleep. What I am interested in is the user interface as I've read that its radically different to other games in the genre.

This is a very bold step by nintendo. Usually interfaces don't change much, because even though everyone is looking for innovative new games, they still need to be sufficiently close to well established genres to know that the game has at least a chance of selling. If a player has to take the time to learn how a new interface works this could be distracting from the main goals of the game. If anything, for a perfect interface the player should not realise it is there at all. The player is able to think more about what he or she is doing and not worry about how he or she is going to do it. I gather that to begin with at least that will not be the case for Metroid.

The only reason I can see for changing the interface is that it must offer far more functionality necessary to play Metroid Prime that the regular interface of a game like Halo for instance is unable to produce.

So, what buttons do what, what new functions are available and above all was the different interface worth the risk that nintendo have taken including it rather than opting for a regular interface?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.