GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My school!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/09/00 at 23:42
Regular
My school had the old BBC's! They were quite good! I remember being 6 years old and doing my hardest to get good marks or finish first so that I could go on the BBC's and play DOS style games like Grannies Garden! I used to love that and I became an expert! There were two others as well but I can't remember them that well!

If anyone asked me what to do on Grannies Garden now I wouldn't be able to tell them as I haven't b played on it for nearly 10 years!

What I will say is if anyone sees an old BBC for sale (second hand) then I'd buy it for cheap but cool gaming!

It may not have 3D graphics and Dolby Surround sound but it has playability!
Mon 11/09/00 at 14:58
Regular
"not dead"
Citadel was fantastic. Superior Software made all the best games!
I've recently dowmloaded an Acorn Emulator, and am trying to get it to run Cidadel.
Fri 08/09/00 at 15:45
My dad came home with an acorn electron out of the blue when I was only about 5 or 6 and I was immediately entranced. I remember meticuosly copying Basic programs out of magazines - it took forever! And you always made mistakes too, at least you did when you were under 10, but they were impossible to track down which made the whole thing unbelievably infuriating!!! But I guess I most never have lost the fascination as I am just about to start the final year of a Computer Science degree.

Elite was an incredible game, but to dock with a space station you had to rotate your craft at the same speed as it - AARRGGH! I also remember a game called (I think) Citadel, where you had to collect items and take them places, kind of Jet Set Willy-esque - ring any bells with anyone?

Sadly I later got an Atari ST, and donated the old acorn to the Salvation Army to give to someone else as a Christmas present (oh the folly - too young to know any better!) Which is not to say that the ST didn't have some classics - Gauntlet2 anyone???

Ahhh, games on Casettes.....5 minute loading times...8 bit graphics...text based adventure games....it'll never be like that again....
Wed 06/09/00 at 17:03
Or how about one of the best games for any computer ever, ELITE. The best (and first?) 3D space game with trading and piracy! I became a school librarian just so that I could use the BBC computers at lunch time (never did any work in the library of course..) Oh, those were the days. Used to program my own games in BBC Basic and play lots of exciting and unusual games like Frak (with sampled sound which said 'oh frak!' when you lost)
The BBC was the first computer I used to get onto the internet as well, as our school was hooked up to the BBC internet service (back in the early 80's!) Pretty basic but good fun.
Wed 06/09/00 at 15:19
What about Aviator by Acornsoft? It was all wireframe but strangely playable and quite a good frame rate as I remember!
Tue 05/09/00 at 18:44
I can't remember exactly but I do remember a blue raven helping you and a giant garden near the end!
Tue 05/09/00 at 12:00
Regular
"not dead"
I remember Grannies Garden! On the first level the witch was hiding in the broom cupboard, so if you went in there you lost. Didn't you also have to feed the dragons in the right order or something
Mon 04/09/00 at 23:42
My school had the old BBC's! They were quite good! I remember being 6 years old and doing my hardest to get good marks or finish first so that I could go on the BBC's and play DOS style games like Grannies Garden! I used to love that and I became an expert! There were two others as well but I can't remember them that well!

If anyone asked me what to do on Grannies Garden now I wouldn't be able to tell them as I haven't b played on it for nearly 10 years!

What I will say is if anyone sees an old BBC for sale (second hand) then I'd buy it for cheap but cool gaming!

It may not have 3D graphics and Dolby Surround sound but it has playability!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.