GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modems, Routers, and Xbox ..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 22:54
Regular
Well,

Some weeks after my early questions into Xbox LIVE and i'm still finding myself slightly bemused by the whole thing.

I'm not CURRENTLY connected to Broadband, but I have placed an order with Freeola and have my start pack/modem etc. ready for when i'm connected in a few days.

Now... I have an external USB modem. What i've been led to beleive is that i'll have to go THROUGH the PC to use Xbox LIVE. This, i'm informed, is a fairly straightforward procedure with a relatively cheap network card (NIC?) and a few leads. However, this obviously means that I will have to be close to my PC whenever I want to use Xbox LIVE.

I've just noticed a DIFFERENT Broadband connection possibility though. In the ADSL section of the Special Reserve site as well as internal and external ASDL modems, a router/modem combination is listed.

If i'm understanding what i've seen in Xbox LIVE setup diagrams is true, with a router i'm basically able to plug both my PC and Xbox into the router, which is in turn plugged into my modem which leads into my broadband connection.

Now, in this instance I can't see the Xbox actually running THROUGH the PC. I just assume that they go through the same central box and are therefore not strictly connected.

Does this therefore mean that I don't have to have the PC on to play Xbox LIVE (which i'm presuming would be the case otherwise). By the same token, would that then mean I could theoretically run the router/modem without having to be near the PC? (may be a stupid question but I can see a certain logic to the idea)

If anyone can answer either of my above questions i'd be extremely grateful. I hope that if my assumptions are correct and a router would theoretically be a better way of linking up the Xbox, then I still have a chance to return my modem and change it for the router.

Cheers for your help ...
Thu 27/02/03 at 09:50
Regular
Your nearly there.

Like you said, one way of doing it is to "daisy chain" the XBox to an existing PC. The PC provides a kind of "pass through" which your Xbox can tap into.

The other way is to have a Broadband modem going into a Router, which in turn hooks up to a small ethernet hub. This is box with lots of enthernet sockets on it. Using RJ-45 wires, connect each device (Xbox, PC, other) to one of the free ethernet sockets on the hub. Notice that you DONT daisy chain the XBox and PC together. They are separate and have their own RJ-45 wires going to separate sockets on the ethernet hub. Naturally, you will still have some free sockets on the hub after you plug in your PC and Xbox. These free hub sockets can be used to add more equipment in the future. Using this method, your PC must have an ethernet card fitted (get a 100 speed card for better performance). The XBox already has it's own card. You can run the XBox totally separate from the PC, and you can run the PC totally separate from the XBox.
Wed 26/02/03 at 22:54
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Well,

Some weeks after my early questions into Xbox LIVE and i'm still finding myself slightly bemused by the whole thing.

I'm not CURRENTLY connected to Broadband, but I have placed an order with Freeola and have my start pack/modem etc. ready for when i'm connected in a few days.

Now... I have an external USB modem. What i've been led to beleive is that i'll have to go THROUGH the PC to use Xbox LIVE. This, i'm informed, is a fairly straightforward procedure with a relatively cheap network card (NIC?) and a few leads. However, this obviously means that I will have to be close to my PC whenever I want to use Xbox LIVE.

I've just noticed a DIFFERENT Broadband connection possibility though. In the ADSL section of the Special Reserve site as well as internal and external ASDL modems, a router/modem combination is listed.

If i'm understanding what i've seen in Xbox LIVE setup diagrams is true, with a router i'm basically able to plug both my PC and Xbox into the router, which is in turn plugged into my modem which leads into my broadband connection.

Now, in this instance I can't see the Xbox actually running THROUGH the PC. I just assume that they go through the same central box and are therefore not strictly connected.

Does this therefore mean that I don't have to have the PC on to play Xbox LIVE (which i'm presuming would be the case otherwise). By the same token, would that then mean I could theoretically run the router/modem without having to be near the PC? (may be a stupid question but I can see a certain logic to the idea)

If anyone can answer either of my above questions i'd be extremely grateful. I hope that if my assumptions are correct and a router would theoretically be a better way of linking up the Xbox, then I still have a chance to return my modem and change it for the router.

Cheers for your help ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.