GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where Have All The RPG's Gone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy VII'.
Thu 27/02/03 at 14:14
Regular
The year was 1997 and we were in the era of the Playstation and a game burst onto the scene, which was unlike any other that the majority of the public, whose first venture in gaming was the PSX, had ever seen before. It was called Final Fantasy 7 and it arrived with alot of hype and people started to take notice.

*What is this game? I've never seen anything like this before*

Of course some people, the more experienced of the gamers knew what it was about. It was another title in the long running and successful Square series, Final Fantasy, whose previous games could be found on the Nes and SNES. It was the return of one of the most successful franchises in gaming history and it's debut on a 32 bit system. Newer and older gamers alike were excited about this great game that was coming to their system and they couldn't wait. A huge marketing campaign followed and Final Fantasy 7 turned out to be one of the most successful games ever to be released on the PSX and some people still proclaim it to be the best PSX ever released. Of course alot of people returned it as well as they weren't used to the battle system and complicated plot but still this was the start of a whole barrage of RPG's to hit the system. Older SNES games got sequels on the PSX such as the Breath Of Fire series, Star Ocean and Dragon Warrior (the most successful RPG series in Japan) and also new series of RPG's were released such as Vandal Hearts, Suikoden (both of which were released before FF7 but only got noticed after FF7 came out) and Wild Arms. It seemed as if the western market, which was widely believed not to be interested in the RPG genre started to realise how good these sort of games were. Most games got sequels and the FF series regularly topped the top of the charts. However with the dawn of the PS2 things changed.

Now we arrive in the 21st century and the era of the next generation consoles, however in the transition from PSX to PS2 something seems to have been lost along the way, the RPG genre. Where exactly are all the games? So far all we've had is Ephemrial Fantasia, Legaia 2, FFX and Wild Arms 3 that can be classed fully as RPG's. (might be some more but can't think of them right now) I don't include games such as Kingdom Hearts as they aren't fully RPG's, they're more live action hack and slash games with RPG overtones. There's been news of games like Breath Of Fire 5 but they're taking their sweet time to come out and we all know about the fiasco that is Suikoden 3. Suddenly one of the most successful genres in the PSX era *doesn't make enough money to constitute a release in Europe* Have i missed something while playing my favourite genre's games? When was the time these games suddenly became unsuccessful? FFX made alot of money and arguably it wasn't even that good when compared to previous titles in the series so why aren't some of these games getting released over here in good old Europe?

It could be the same story of great games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears that never got released on the PSX and the reason that was given was that the games wouldn't make enough money at that time. However shortly after that the games started coming back with FF8 and Suikoden 2 to name just a couple. Is this just history repeating itself and in time we'll start to get a steady flow of RPG's again? Maybe Wild Arms 3 is the start of it who knows? but the only thing i want to know is - Where have all the RPG's gone? and if anyone finds them please contact me. Thank You
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:13
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
The new RPG based on the anime '.hack' is meant to be quite good as well, don't know when it comes out through.

Willyum
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:26
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
From what i heard Xenosaga sound spreety good... Gamespot i think have reviewed, got a good grade, nothing special tho
Tue 04/03/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Bleeders wrote:
> I dunno, but the PAL Market is being shafted on RPG's. There is Wild
> Arms 3, which isn't too bad as it goes.
>
> Bought that game last saturday and absolutely love it. Cel-shading
> looks quite nice too.
>
>
> However, I've been able to pick up Xenosaga, Dark Cloud 2 and
> Suikoden
> 3 for my modified PS2, let's not forgot about the release of Star
> Ocean 3, which is due out soon-ish I think. RPG heaven!
>
> Where you find Suikoden 3? Looking for that everywhere and is Xenosaga
> any good as i was thinking of buying it. Star Ocean 3 should be
> amazing if it anything like the first 2.
>
>
> I am I right in saying that Konami aren't bringing Suikoden 3 over
> here?
>
>
> At the moment no they are not as they don't think they will make a
> profit on it.

That is a shame. Well, here's hoping Dark Cloud 2, Star Ocean 3 and Xenosaga make it out over here then.
Tue 04/03/03 at 16:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bleeders wrote:
> I dunno, but the PAL Market is being shafted on RPG's. There is Wild
> Arms 3, which isn't too bad as it goes.

Bought that game last saturday and absolutely love it. Cel-shading looks quite nice too.

>
> However, I've been able to pick up Xenosaga, Dark Cloud 2 and Suikoden
> 3 for my modified PS2, let's not forgot about the release of Star
> Ocean 3, which is due out soon-ish I think. RPG heaven!

Where you find Suikoden 3? Looking for that everywhere and is Xenosaga any good as i was thinking of buying it. Star Ocean 3 should be amazing if it anything like the first 2.

>
> I am I right in saying that Konami aren't bringing Suikoden 3 over
> here?

At the moment no they are not as they don't think they will make a profit on it.
Tue 04/03/03 at 09:05
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I dunno, but the PAL Market is being shafted on RPG's. There is Wild Arms 3, which isn't too bad as it goes.

However, I've been able to pick up Xenosaga, Dark Cloud 2 and Suikoden 3 for my modified PS2, let's not forgot about the release of Star Ocean 3, which is due out soon-ish I think. RPG heaven!

I am I right in saying that Konami aren't bringing Suikoden 3 over here?
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
DeltaJava wrote:
> OK, but I'm not sure about your comparison. You must live in hell!

Wolverhampton, so close enough yea.
Mon 03/03/03 at 19:12
OK, but I'm not sure about your comparison. You must live in hell!
Mon 03/03/03 at 16:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Suikoden 3 has been out quite a while in the US now, however, actually finding a copy is like trying to find a good looking feminist. It's almost impossible to find one.
Mon 03/03/03 at 16:16
I can't find an importer that has Suikoden 3 in stock. Is it even out yet (US)?
Sat 01/03/03 at 21:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Haven't played either one yet so can't say, however i'm sure i'll buy FF 11 but not sure on Ultima

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.