GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ubi Soft - Back Stabbers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 09:18
Regular
With the imminent release of Splinter Cell on PS2 and PC I would like to know your opinion on this.

The Xbox sold a lot of consoles on the back of their EXCLUSIVE deal on Splinter Cell with Ubi Soft as did PS2 with Vice City (Which is ultimately exlusive to PS2). Is it right that Splinter Cell can now be ported onto the PS2 and PC with added extras.

Now I would have imagined that if Microsoft and Ubi Soft had signed a contract for an exclusive game then it shouldn't be released on different formats thus being exlusive. Is this Ubi Soft stabbing the Xbox in the back or Microsoft sucking in gamers knowing full well that it was only an early release exlusive.

Exclusive deals make consoles what they are. You want an Xbox because it does Splnter Cell, Morrowind, Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Shenmue, etc. You want a PS2 because it has Pro Evo Soccer, Vice City, Devil May Cry 2, etc. You want a Game Cube because it has, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario, etc.
Ubis Softs EXCLUSIVE to all formats deal has made a joke of 3rd party exclusive deals.

Personally I think it makes a joke of the whole EXCLUSIVE tag that games are labelled with. I would be as well sticking with my DC and PS2 if all Xbox exclusives will eventually find their way on to the PS2.

What do you think?

BB
Tue 11/03/03 at 09:06
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Not in the slightest, but hey..

Oh yeah... my mistake :)
I just got caught up in the moment.
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:32
Regular
"Remember me?"
Hey indeed... (:¬)
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:30
Regular
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> It all makes sense you know :)

Not in the slightest, but hey..
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:21
Regular
"Remember me?"
The word "exclusive" means jack, really. There are tonnes of games that were labelled "exclusive" to a certain console when they were first released, then released a few months down the line on other consoles.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:47
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Hidden-Death wrote:
> Erm.... Even Rockstar Have Done It, GTA-VC is supposed to be a ps2
> exclusive too, And whats this?!?!?! oh, it comes out on the pc in
> may

When games are XBox Exclusive or PS2 Exclusive etc. it means it's exclusive to the CONSOLE. Only when a game has ONLY ON XBOX does it mean it' won't be on PC.

And if rumours are true you could see GTA4 XBox Exclusive. Ohhh to see PS2 owners faces if that happens.
And yes SONY own it until 2004 but haven't you wondered why GTA-VC wasn't called GTA4? It all makes sense you know :)
Sat 01/03/03 at 00:53
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Good news for X-Box owners of Splinter Cell is that there should be new missions to download as of March 14th on X-Box Live.
I think the official mag is also trying to aquire these downloads for their monthly disk which should help people that aren't on Live.
Sat 01/03/03 at 00:02
Regular
It was never exclusive to X-Box. Updated versions will be available on PS2 and GC soon.
Fri 28/02/03 at 23:00
"High polygon count"
The exclusivity deal for Splinter Cell was for a limited period only - it was never claimed to be Xbox-exclusive on a permanent basis.

The GTA3/GTA Vice City deals, on the other hand, make the games console-exclusive to PS2 until some time in 2004, at which point they *may* become available on other consoles, or Sony *may* try to extend the license with Rockstar. However, the exclusivity deal on these games - like the forthcoming Tomb Raider AoD game - has never been intended to prevent release on the PC.
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:32
Regular
"Erm....."
Erm.... Even Rockstar Have Done It, GTA-VC is supposed to be a ps2 exclusive too, And whats this?!?!?! oh, it comes out on the pc in may

Hidden-Death

www.worldofgamers.com
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:02
Regular
It was an Xbox exclusive up until last years E3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.