GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Onslaught"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 10:41
Regular
Online gaming, it's been debated countlessly in the past months and even now but the big question is, is it really going to take off? and which company will prosper? heres my insight...

I think that online gaming will take off for the GC at least in the UK but it will do so slowly but surely, this will start to happen with PSO as it has about a month head start on the xbox version in Europe and for some gamers this seemingly "long" delay will be a deciding factor on purchase as the GC "should" have 56k AND BB adapters available from launch as this has almost been confirmed now for March 7th for both the game and the two modems.

Then pending the success and demand Nintendo will ship more modems respectively and hopefully the keyboard situation will be rectified by either them or another company pretty sharpish.

Once all demands for hardware and software are met and sega are turning a sizeable profit for their monthly fees on PSO Nintendo will then consider making more of their games online compatible with the help of segas servers and experience in the field, then after a while say a year or possibly earlier we should see a good few AAA Ninty titles getting the online overhaul as we allready know a shortlist of games has allready nearly been confirmed to have online content (see below)

Metroid Prime 2: - confirmed to be in development and to have a multiplayer mode most likely will be online, just think, pending how good the multiplayer mode actually is ala Perfect Dark calibur with it's own style this could really take off and turn out to be even more of a profit turner than the original. Add to that the undisputed success of the original game worldwide the sequel coul be a real online treat.

Animal crossing 2: - more of the same game but online a dead cert for this one, and basically should have been unleashed worldwide as the online title it's set to become as it is amazingly well suited to being enjoyed simultaneously by gamers the world over, a living, breathing online gaming world, pure magic.

Mario Kart: - mario kart - online, never before have a game title and the word "online" gone together so greatly and just mention these word to any Nintendo fan who hwas experienced the immense fun and playability of the original games in the series and it sends a sudden rush of excitement to the head instantly as the possibility of unlimited fun gameplaywise is just sostounding, it has to be done.

Gamecube Wars: - anyone whos played advance wars has seen the enormous potential for online modes for this game, imagine teaming up with or against customised teams from around the world for an all out war! ahem! perhaps not the best time to release at the moment but give it time and a suitable release date and this could also be mesmerising.

there are probably many other possible titles that i've overlooked but you can see my point, by entering the online gaming business and with the help of Sega both companies will prosper slowly but surely and it will take off if given the right approach, ye Xbox live and all that may be successfull to start with but the expense may be a deciding factor for either some gamers not to opt for it or either to use it only to find that it's to expensive and just an overhyped PC type online gaming hub and that doing the same but with a PC is almost identical.

whichever way you look at it both Microsoft and Nintendo and probably Sony will each get their slice of the online pie but which of them is the greediest is yet to become apparent, but the big question is, just how hungry are YOU?

thanks for reading.

slik ~_~
Sun 02/03/03 at 18:44
Regular
"DS..."
Just me then it seems (in reference to last post) wow, roll on Friday then...

slik ~_~
Sun 02/03/03 at 09:08
Regular
"DS..."
On the subject of more "current" online gaming, who here is getting PSO (Phantasy Star Online for all the illinformed) with the modem this Friday? The game and modem are now confirmed for release on 7th of March but details on whether a Keyboard will be available at launch are doubtfull, allthough a 3rd party keyboard on release has been rumoured, in either case PSO has a built in software KB which is easy to use and should'nt be too much of a setback untill the KB is released shortly after, Allthough i'm not entirely happy about the whole KB situation I will still be getting GC PSO and the modem and probably putting up with the lack of a keyboard untill it's released but in either case the game is still worth it as it's free for your 1st month but £5.99 after that which is'nt a bad price if they manage to get the KB out by aprill.

slik ~_~
Fri 28/02/03 at 18:02
Regular
"DS..."
Zelda - Online, hmmm i can see where your going with it being along the lines of using the four swords for a basis on which to expand from, yet another franchise that would most probably work wonders online.

But rather than being a soley dedicated online title it could be an additional option where depending on how far you are in the standard mode or maybe depending on how many times youve completed it that would in turn affect the online mode in terms of items etc, or even you have downloadable additional quests as with this and countless other Nintendo franchises the possibilities are endless and thats why online gaming is such an exciting prospect if approached from the proper angle and in some cases it can enhance the standard game rather than detroying the core values that make the franchises what they are, undisputed classics.

slik ~_~
Fri 28/02/03 at 11:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I have to wonder what an on-line Zelda game would be like for the GameCube...

I'd imagine it to be something like the "Four Swords" part of the GBA version of "A Link to the Past", where you'd team-up with 3 other players, on-line, and work your way through certain temples and worlds, together, as a team. And perhaps in full-3D also - whether it's cel-shaded, or not?

It'd definitley be a big-hit amongst all Zelda fans, and people who've played first-person shooters in a similar kind of way may also be quite interested.

But how would Metroid Prime work as a multi-player game??
It's not an FPS, and Nintendo seem keen to remind people that it's actually an adventure game of exploration, more than anything else.
Would we get a similar Four Swords-style thing going here? Or would it all be 'ruined' by an FPS-type-thing?

But whatever Nintendo do with their on-line plans, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart (providing both DO go on-line) would be massive!!
Fri 28/02/03 at 10:55
Regular
"DS..."
True, but also bear in mind that if Mario Kart did get the online treatment that it would also inevitably maintain all of the classic traditional offline modes, content and more and that the Online option would just be a great extention of the limitless possibilities of the series the same would also be true about the other examples that I have aforementioned, but online content would surely boost the appeal of these franchises and turn more profit as more audiences that previously may not have even considered these games may be swayed by an online mode and then might grow to love it and this in turn should add to the allready steadily growing Nintendo fan base, and that can only be a good thing.

slik ~_~
Fri 28/02/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Online gaming isn't really all it's cracked up to be.
Sure, Mario Kart being online would be cool, but there's still more satisfaction to be had getting you friend or relative with a green shell than getting a complete stranger.
4-player split screen still rules.
Fri 28/02/03 at 10:41
Regular
"DS..."
Online gaming, it's been debated countlessly in the past months and even now but the big question is, is it really going to take off? and which company will prosper? heres my insight...

I think that online gaming will take off for the GC at least in the UK but it will do so slowly but surely, this will start to happen with PSO as it has about a month head start on the xbox version in Europe and for some gamers this seemingly "long" delay will be a deciding factor on purchase as the GC "should" have 56k AND BB adapters available from launch as this has almost been confirmed now for March 7th for both the game and the two modems.

Then pending the success and demand Nintendo will ship more modems respectively and hopefully the keyboard situation will be rectified by either them or another company pretty sharpish.

Once all demands for hardware and software are met and sega are turning a sizeable profit for their monthly fees on PSO Nintendo will then consider making more of their games online compatible with the help of segas servers and experience in the field, then after a while say a year or possibly earlier we should see a good few AAA Ninty titles getting the online overhaul as we allready know a shortlist of games has allready nearly been confirmed to have online content (see below)

Metroid Prime 2: - confirmed to be in development and to have a multiplayer mode most likely will be online, just think, pending how good the multiplayer mode actually is ala Perfect Dark calibur with it's own style this could really take off and turn out to be even more of a profit turner than the original. Add to that the undisputed success of the original game worldwide the sequel coul be a real online treat.

Animal crossing 2: - more of the same game but online a dead cert for this one, and basically should have been unleashed worldwide as the online title it's set to become as it is amazingly well suited to being enjoyed simultaneously by gamers the world over, a living, breathing online gaming world, pure magic.

Mario Kart: - mario kart - online, never before have a game title and the word "online" gone together so greatly and just mention these word to any Nintendo fan who hwas experienced the immense fun and playability of the original games in the series and it sends a sudden rush of excitement to the head instantly as the possibility of unlimited fun gameplaywise is just sostounding, it has to be done.

Gamecube Wars: - anyone whos played advance wars has seen the enormous potential for online modes for this game, imagine teaming up with or against customised teams from around the world for an all out war! ahem! perhaps not the best time to release at the moment but give it time and a suitable release date and this could also be mesmerising.

there are probably many other possible titles that i've overlooked but you can see my point, by entering the online gaming business and with the help of Sega both companies will prosper slowly but surely and it will take off if given the right approach, ye Xbox live and all that may be successfull to start with but the expense may be a deciding factor for either some gamers not to opt for it or either to use it only to find that it's to expensive and just an overhyped PC type online gaming hub and that doing the same but with a PC is almost identical.

whichever way you look at it both Microsoft and Nintendo and probably Sony will each get their slice of the online pie but which of them is the greediest is yet to become apparent, but the big question is, just how hungry are YOU?

thanks for reading.

slik ~_~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.