GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lack of decent Replies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/01/02 at 01:07
Regular
Hi I am not meaning to be moany or anything but I would like to raise the issue once again..

As many of you have noticed the forums have been going downhill in the past few months. When I have come on here for the first time in late June 2001, the forums were full of great topics that were worth replying to and other would also reply to your topics with will.

But in the past few months these forums started filling with spam and other pointless threads. I am not aiming this at anyone in particular but many posters did decide to leave the forums for a while to see what they will be like once they get back....

Just few months ago, I really felt like replying to almost every topic because there were so many interesting points raised by many people but now this is just getting silly...

If I am to write a topic about the history of gaming and mention MGS2 in it somewhere what kind of replies am I going to get?? "Ah MGS 2 is cool, I am gonna order that..".

I am sure many of you think the same and I urge some action to be taken against the pointless topic. Just look in our Sony forum for instance...

Anyway I hope you all have a happy new year and good night....
Thu 03/01/02 at 15:21
i htink this reply is not decent because i only read the title and not the whole subject post.
Thu 03/01/02 at 13:34
Regular
It doesnt reaaly matter its dchristmas time and that is going to be the case things will improve until the summer when the standard will probably drop again with bored people posting stuff in the summer then it will improve again and will finally drop instandard at next christmas it is something that just happens. Its never been the same seens that retro white and blue text disappeared in the early days anyway
Thu 03/01/02 at 13:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Triple_H wrote:
> Hi I am not meaning to be moany or anything but I would like to raise the issue
> once again..

As many of you have noticed the forums have been going downhill
> in the past few months. When I have come on here for the first time in late June
> 2001, the forums were full of great topics that were worth replying to and other
> would also reply to your topics with will.

Hey... that means you joined around about the same time Er-No started complaining that the forums were going down hill? :)
Thu 03/01/02 at 13:07
Slaveunit wrote:
> Surely if a single sentence is constructed well wnough to
> put the point across without having to write pages, then
> that is enough? (like this one :P )

That is true, but sometimes I like to discuss multiple points to matters, so I make long(er) posts.
Thu 03/01/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
"I have trouble writing short posts"

Me too, it's something I can't help. I love it when I post and see all those lines of text - probably hence why I write large topics, or so people have said.

"Someone moaned once and said "Aw, I can't be bothered to read all that! Can someone tell me what he said??" A typical person who only writes one word answers!"

Yep - I've had that a few times when I've asked people to look at my GAD attempt because it got no replies. After it gets about 10 replies, the topic normally maintains some sort of dignity.
Thu 03/01/02 at 12:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I have trouble writing short posts. They're usually at least 2 paragraphs! Someone moaned once and said "Aw, I can't be bothered to read all that! Can someone tell me what he said??" A typical person who only writes one word answers!
Thu 03/01/02 at 12:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Surely if a single sentence is constructed well wnough to put the point across without having to write pages, then that is enough? (like this one :P )
Thu 03/01/02 at 11:31
I would have it known that the *only* reson that I'm not a "Regular" yet is because my replys are thoughtfully considered and I don't do the old "one word reply posts to boost my post count" trick. Dammit.
Thu 03/01/02 at 11:21
Tyla wrote:
> Arghh... You can't win in here.. I got told off for
> posting a reply that was longer then 1 word...
> I though it was a good reply my self, especially as it
> provoked a response as it did...

I actually read that post, some good points made, but I didn't join in because it thought you had covered it all. Damn, next time I'll cover you..

> OK, so the idea was 1 word replys, but why? What's the
> point? I can think of several single words to describe
> some of the topics in these forums, but instead I offer
> eductaed, half decent replies, the kind of thing that
> goes with discussion... the kind of thing you see in the
> Web Forum...

I agree, this is supposed to be a discussion forum about the Future of Gaming. A lot of stuff that is appearing in here is better suited to one of the other "chat rooms".

You are right about the Web Forum though, that is something that has got better in the last few weeks (I like to think I might have had a good impact on it...), whilst FOG is suffering.

On the EDGE forums, if a topic had nothing to do with the forum it was in, a moderator would just move the thread into a more suitable forum, that might be a good thing in here. But do the guys at SR have the time for this?
Thu 03/01/02 at 10:59
Regular
I began in early August, and it was impressive then. Now it's full of newbies. I'm sorry if you think this is biased, but it's the truth. We get some good newbies, but the majority can't spell and don't have any imaginative ideas. They give up after not winning a game with a mediocre post, and Chat gets filled with spam. Prime and Movies are the only decent posting areas left, but the good posters are giving up on them and they're empty. Shame, really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.