GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Athlons and their motherboards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 18:37
Regular
I was just wondering if anybody out there could give me a hand with a little problem. At present, I've got an ancient K6-2 running at 400mHz. I don't wantit any more. I want a lovely 1.4 GHz Athlon and a motherboard that can take it. Trouble is, I've got nothing to compare to, so could anyone tell which board is the best, and who the most reliable site to buy from is?

I've got a budget of around £180-200, so nothing extreme please....

Cheers
Wed 02/01/02 at 18:37
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I was just wondering if anybody out there could give me a hand with a little problem. At present, I've got an ancient K6-2 running at 400mHz. I don't wantit any more. I want a lovely 1.4 GHz Athlon and a motherboard that can take it. Trouble is, I've got nothing to compare to, so could anyone tell which board is the best, and who the most reliable site to buy from is?

I've got a budget of around £180-200, so nothing extreme please....

Cheers
Wed 02/01/02 at 20:33
some sites do bundle's (motherboard, cpu(usually overclocked but tested), cpu coolers and sometimes ram

c.b.
Wed 02/01/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Thought SR may not appreciate links to competitors, but getting a 1.4ghz (XP?) and mobo in to that budget is fine...problem is, do you need new RAM to go with it? If you already have a healthy chunk of SDRAM with your K6, you may be happy just to use that, if not then you'd probably be best off starting afresh with DDR. Wouldn't have been a problem a while ago, but RAM prices shot up before christmas - 256mb Crucial DDR is still around £50.

The cheapest XP/mobo setup I could think of would be the Epox 8KHA+ DDR and an XP1600, for about £100 each..but this would require DDR RAM, which would up the price significantly. Alternatively, the Abit KT7A (£85ish) has slots for SDRAM, so you could keep your old memory, and costs about £85. If you get the v1.3, it has support for an XP processor, otherwise you'll be stuck with a normal T-Bird (£100 like the XP).

So:
Abit KT7A + T-bird 1.4ghz, keep old ram (£200ish)
Abit KT7A v1.3 + XP1600, keep old ram (£200ish)
Epox 8KHA+ DDR + XP1600, would require DDR ram (£250ish)

If you can't stretch to the extra £50, I'd recommend the second option - I believe Overclockers have some v1.3 boards in at the moment.
Thu 03/01/02 at 11:55
sorry SR didnt mean to tread on your feet, obviously it goes without saying sr are good here are some prices.

Elite k7s5a socket A motherboard 200/266 takes ddr OR sdram
Price £49.94 (i have fitted one of these boards it is pretty good for price, drawbacks are it only is able to have 2 sdram chips OR 2 ddr ram chips, can't be overclocked, has no ISA slots.)

Amd athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz 266 cpu Price £103.40

crucial 256ddr ram (if needed) Price £63.44

Heatsink and fan globalwin wbk38 should suffice Price £12.69 (you will need this, Don't use your heatsinkand fan you currently have)

Also you may need new things like keyboard, mouse, Power supply (atx) or new case.

Or have a look around SR there are pretty good prices here.

C.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.