GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 12:38
Regular
I am not going to be writing about graphics, sound and all that. Basically I am going to write about the individual aspects that make a game of that particular genre.

Let’s start off with the Comedy genre. Making people laugh can be a very challenging activity, especially if you are making a game. So developers have to get their head around the humour. Now a sure fire way to get at least one laugh would be to make a film spoof inside your game. Maybe just a little bit of bullet dodging or a nice slice of James Pond (Robocod) action. However, if you want to take it that one step further, and get lots of laughs . . . you have to bring out the toilet humour. As Conkers Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64 proved, you can never have to dirty a joke. Whether it is a singing clump of faeces or a cow with some rally terrible runs, it still gets the laughs.

The Sporting genre is boring. The only thing you have to get right is the rules system. However, there are a few daring companies out there and they do produce some “interesting” sporting games. Such as Red Card Soccer which proves that if you bend the rules, you can still have a brilliant sport game.

The 3D Action/Adventure games are very hard to pull off successfully. However, there is a sure fire way to make a very successful one . . . have the main character as a well endowed beautiful woman. However, that is not the only way. You need a good original idea and then things can spout. Or you need an exceptionally movie trilogy that is crying out for a game, like Lord of the Rings. But as the Tomb Raider series has proved, all you need to do is make an over “bouncy” woman and give her some guns.

The First Person Shooter, the daddy of all games. It is quite obvious what these games need . . . guns, lots of guns with explosives and lots of people to kill. However, if you want to make a king First Person Shooter, you have to base it on an amazing film, an amazing person, have some amazing guns and . . . oh sorry, I am describing Goldeneye.

Horror Genre, yes, the one genre that is meant to scare the pants off you (or make you fill those pants). What you need in one of these games is a good bit of dark rooms and a nice “thing” to jump out on you and make you jump a mile. All they need to do is jump through a window or something and you will have filled those pants.

These aspects are what make a game of that genre, I am sure that if you roll them all into one you will make a crap game. But, it is worth a try . . . (No EA Games, don’t do it)
Sat 01/03/03 at 13:32
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Parr wrote:
> As Conkers Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64 proved,
> you can never have to dirty a joke.

I think you'll find that it should be: As Conkers Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64 proved, you can never have too dirty a joke.

*runs*
Sat 01/03/03 at 13:28
Regular
"Balls"
what makes a Game? i would say alot of highly intelligent programmers who get paid to do it.
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:54
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
But there's no skill to it. That game took me about half an hour to complete. It was boring.
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Festivus!"
Muddatrucker wrote:
> Too true. This topic reminds me now of International Track And Field,
> where all it was is button bashing - no science or skill required to
> win. Boring as hell.

Please tell me you are lying - IT&F was a class game, and one which I still think rules today.
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
Parr wrote:
> The Sporting genre is boring. The only thing you have to get right is
> the rules system. However, there are a few daring companies out there
> and they do produce some “interesting” sporting games. Such as Red
> Card Soccer which proves that if you bend the rules, you can still
> have a brilliant sport game.

Too true. This topic reminds me now of International Track And Field, where all it was is button bashing - no science or skill required to win. Boring as hell.
>
> The 3D Action/Adventure games are very hard to pull off successfully.
> However, there is a sure fire way to make a very successful one . . .
> have the main character as a well endowed beautiful woman. However,
> that is not the only way. You need a good original idea and then
> things can spout. Or you need an exceptionally movie trilogy that is
> crying out for a game, like Lord of the Rings. But as the Tomb Raider
> series has proved, all you need to do is make an over “bouncy” woman
> and give her some guns.
>
Yep, quite sad how, in fact, all it takes is *ahem* to sell a game. Give me Max Payne or Gordan Freeman over Lara Croft any day, despite their flat chests :)

Nice topic mate :)
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:42
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
You really don't post as often as you should because when you do it is very good stuff :-)
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:38
Regular
"^_^"
I am not going to be writing about graphics, sound and all that. Basically I am going to write about the individual aspects that make a game of that particular genre.

Let’s start off with the Comedy genre. Making people laugh can be a very challenging activity, especially if you are making a game. So developers have to get their head around the humour. Now a sure fire way to get at least one laugh would be to make a film spoof inside your game. Maybe just a little bit of bullet dodging or a nice slice of James Pond (Robocod) action. However, if you want to take it that one step further, and get lots of laughs . . . you have to bring out the toilet humour. As Conkers Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64 proved, you can never have to dirty a joke. Whether it is a singing clump of faeces or a cow with some rally terrible runs, it still gets the laughs.

The Sporting genre is boring. The only thing you have to get right is the rules system. However, there are a few daring companies out there and they do produce some “interesting” sporting games. Such as Red Card Soccer which proves that if you bend the rules, you can still have a brilliant sport game.

The 3D Action/Adventure games are very hard to pull off successfully. However, there is a sure fire way to make a very successful one . . . have the main character as a well endowed beautiful woman. However, that is not the only way. You need a good original idea and then things can spout. Or you need an exceptionally movie trilogy that is crying out for a game, like Lord of the Rings. But as the Tomb Raider series has proved, all you need to do is make an over “bouncy” woman and give her some guns.

The First Person Shooter, the daddy of all games. It is quite obvious what these games need . . . guns, lots of guns with explosives and lots of people to kill. However, if you want to make a king First Person Shooter, you have to base it on an amazing film, an amazing person, have some amazing guns and . . . oh sorry, I am describing Goldeneye.

Horror Genre, yes, the one genre that is meant to scare the pants off you (or make you fill those pants). What you need in one of these games is a good bit of dark rooms and a nice “thing” to jump out on you and make you jump a mile. All they need to do is jump through a window or something and you will have filled those pants.

These aspects are what make a game of that genre, I am sure that if you roll them all into one you will make a crap game. But, it is worth a try . . . (No EA Games, don’t do it)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.