GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Demos destroy games!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 17:07
Regular
Demos don't reflect the quality of the actual game. This is what is said ata the beginning of every OPS2 magazine DVD but I have never really thought much of it until I played the playable demo of 'The Getaway' and I thought the in-car driving was scratchy and the on-foot gameplay was virtually un-controllable! There was no-way I was going to buy the game after playing it on the DVD, all of my friends had mixed emotions about the game as well so I wasn't the only one who felt like this!

It wasn't until my dad treated me to the game after scoring a hat-trick in my football team's cup final a week after it's release. I didn't know what to expect and what the later missions would feel like. So I loaded the game and started playing the game and the first mission (the one in the playable demo). I couldn't believe the game was so much better than I had originally expected. The controls had been tweaked just right and the graphics had been improved. I love the game now and I have completed it. It was a great game, especially the D.C Carter missions. Maybe a Vice City beater!

Take the demo of Twin Calibur for instance, I thought it was poor game I turned it off as fast as I had turned it on (and that was fast!!). I believe many gamers were looking forward to Twin Calibur being released but then they played it on the demo and thought they would rather keep the £40. This happened to me as well when I was going to buy Sly Raccoon. I was in Special Reserve and ready to buy it when I noticed the playable demo of it was on OPSM, I decided to stick with buying the magazine and I am glad I did as I hated Sly Raccoon.

When this happens the game producers and developers lose out and could end up going bankrupt which is happening to Rage at the moment! On the other hand the people who weren't going to buy the game played it and thought it was worth buying so the makers of the game succeed when this happens! It really is a touch and go decision to make the game feature as a playable demo on OPSM's DVD.

I have bought this month's edition of OPSM and have played the Splinter Cell playable demo. I thought the graphics were OK but could do with being tweaked up a bit and I thought the camera angles weren't great (I got stuck in a wall and the screen just went black, I had to reset my PS2!). The enemies's AI wasn't great as at one point a guard was just staring at me not doing anything and letting me shoot him. I don't know if I am going to buy this one or not!

OK I am talking about demos that put games down so I am going to comment on how good I thought Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was on last month's editions of OPSM (February). The graphics were fantastic and the fighting moves were brilliant. A great beat them up if you asked me and worthy of the number one spot! Great blood splattering too!!

Seeing that some games flop after having a playable demo before release, do you think this if why Grand Theft Auto:Vice City never had one as they were worried the game wouldn't do as well as Grand Theft Auto 3. I believe Vice City was a brilliant game but wasn't much different to GTA 3 except for motor bikes and helicopters etc. Also Vice City didn't have any public transport or tunnels to cause more havoc in. In my opinion both were great but GTA 3 was better so I think the people at Rockstar believed this too so they didn't want to risk it flopping.

As I have already stated earlier on in this post the decision to put your game on the OPSM's DVD as a playable demo before the game's release is a touch and go business. You could receive thousands of more buyers or you could lose thousands of possible buyers. This could bring you to being able to afford the house/car of your dreams or having to sell your house and go live with your parents and driving a bashed up Metro!

It's a cruel world and the world of videogames is no exception! Thanks for reading!

pring
Tue 04/03/03 at 16:43
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
The demo of Splinter Cell makes me and my friends think the game is pants! Some big titles shouldn't have playable demos, like GTA Vice city and The Getaway as the number of buying might go down if the demo fails to interest people enough into buying the full game.
Mon 03/03/03 at 14:49
Regular
Generally I think demo's are a good idea. With just a few exceptions (the Getaway being one), most represent the final product fairly accurately.
Mon 03/03/03 at 14:43
I usually find demos great fun to play, and frequently find myself playing some over and over again, especially those which only have one playable level. However, this can actually lead to a false impression of the game as a whole - for example, I loved the demos of Rez and Ace Combat: Distant Thunder on the PS2, but after buying these games, I got bored as I realised it was more of the same.

Ther are some which are worth it, though; Hitman 2 and Wipeout being good examples, as they offer plenty of variety in all their "levels".
Mon 03/03/03 at 14:04
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
If the public don't buy a game because the demo's shoddy, then it's the game company's fault for releasing a poor demo. If the demo is accurate to the game, then the game is pants too.

If, however, the demo is good, it's because the game is good, and the game sells.
Mon 03/03/03 at 13:53
Regular
" victim of regulars"
Ii agree with you,all the demos ive played have been nothing like the full game.i think demos have stopped lots buying some games.
Sat 01/03/03 at 18:00
Regular
"I'm sooooo happy"
I have to say the complete opposite. I think that demo games are great. It lets you have a little taste of a full game but not giving too much away. Look, take this for example, You get a demo disk full of games that you have nevr heard of, you play it, you think it's great. You know have descouvered a game that is great and that you had never heared about before. Also some games will be given a demo, and then the game is cancelled from development so then you have the only thing playable of that game.

Thats why they are good.
Sat 01/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
sorry :0 I would have to say that renting games in some cases is correct, in the intance of Metal Gear Solid 2, i wish i did rent it, cause im so pi*%ed that i bought it! Other game demos are very good such as an old dc demo of SKIES OF ARCADIA. Many people wenrt really looking forwards to this games as much as PSO so SEGA really neede some incetive into attracting potential customers into purchasing this fine product,that is why this 2hour long demo was relased. Lets just say it convertyed me straight away. Other games demos, espicially the really obscure ones for things like that weird moster game for the ps1, Unholy War or somin, which was on a strict time-limit (somin like 4 minutes :( )atually gives a bad impression on the consumer. Basically it really depends on if you are in two minds or what game ya want to purchase next, whether you like that game enough to warrant buying it, or maybe you dont know enough about games, thats why demos are used, to establish a understanding.
Sat 01/03/03 at 17:11
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
It is usually a few days and what has this got to do with my original post?
Sat 01/03/03 at 17:09
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
How long dyou have to wait for a posted walkthrough to be registred on sr, i hope its not posted it cause i been typing it out for an hour now!
Sat 01/03/03 at 17:07
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
Demos don't reflect the quality of the actual game. This is what is said ata the beginning of every OPS2 magazine DVD but I have never really thought much of it until I played the playable demo of 'The Getaway' and I thought the in-car driving was scratchy and the on-foot gameplay was virtually un-controllable! There was no-way I was going to buy the game after playing it on the DVD, all of my friends had mixed emotions about the game as well so I wasn't the only one who felt like this!

It wasn't until my dad treated me to the game after scoring a hat-trick in my football team's cup final a week after it's release. I didn't know what to expect and what the later missions would feel like. So I loaded the game and started playing the game and the first mission (the one in the playable demo). I couldn't believe the game was so much better than I had originally expected. The controls had been tweaked just right and the graphics had been improved. I love the game now and I have completed it. It was a great game, especially the D.C Carter missions. Maybe a Vice City beater!

Take the demo of Twin Calibur for instance, I thought it was poor game I turned it off as fast as I had turned it on (and that was fast!!). I believe many gamers were looking forward to Twin Calibur being released but then they played it on the demo and thought they would rather keep the £40. This happened to me as well when I was going to buy Sly Raccoon. I was in Special Reserve and ready to buy it when I noticed the playable demo of it was on OPSM, I decided to stick with buying the magazine and I am glad I did as I hated Sly Raccoon.

When this happens the game producers and developers lose out and could end up going bankrupt which is happening to Rage at the moment! On the other hand the people who weren't going to buy the game played it and thought it was worth buying so the makers of the game succeed when this happens! It really is a touch and go decision to make the game feature as a playable demo on OPSM's DVD.

I have bought this month's edition of OPSM and have played the Splinter Cell playable demo. I thought the graphics were OK but could do with being tweaked up a bit and I thought the camera angles weren't great (I got stuck in a wall and the screen just went black, I had to reset my PS2!). The enemies's AI wasn't great as at one point a guard was just staring at me not doing anything and letting me shoot him. I don't know if I am going to buy this one or not!

OK I am talking about demos that put games down so I am going to comment on how good I thought Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was on last month's editions of OPSM (February). The graphics were fantastic and the fighting moves were brilliant. A great beat them up if you asked me and worthy of the number one spot! Great blood splattering too!!

Seeing that some games flop after having a playable demo before release, do you think this if why Grand Theft Auto:Vice City never had one as they were worried the game wouldn't do as well as Grand Theft Auto 3. I believe Vice City was a brilliant game but wasn't much different to GTA 3 except for motor bikes and helicopters etc. Also Vice City didn't have any public transport or tunnels to cause more havoc in. In my opinion both were great but GTA 3 was better so I think the people at Rockstar believed this too so they didn't want to risk it flopping.

As I have already stated earlier on in this post the decision to put your game on the OPSM's DVD as a playable demo before the game's release is a touch and go business. You could receive thousands of more buyers or you could lose thousands of possible buyers. This could bring you to being able to afford the house/car of your dreams or having to sell your house and go live with your parents and driving a bashed up Metro!

It's a cruel world and the world of videogames is no exception! Thanks for reading!

pring

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.