GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles by definition!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 03:00
Regular
Console definition: A machine solely built for the entertainment of video/interactive game/s.

Turbonutter throughout the course of yesterday made many statements which I thought silly and had a go at, I would like to finally conclude or maybe even begin a new argument.

Turbnutter said:
"The GBA and regular consoles like the PS2, GC and Xbox just can't be compared. If you offer a 100 people to choose betwen a free GBA or a PS2, GC or Xbox, seriously how many people would choose a GBA? It's be a miricle if it went into double figures."

Thats just bloody stupid, if you are saying they can't be compared on that basis, if you offer 100 people the playstation1 or the playstation2, I bet you the original wouldn't run into double figures. HOWEVER, does that mean you cannot compare them? DOES IT?

Turbonutter said:
"The GBA has no competition at all because it lives in a market all in its own. How can you include something in a "console war" when it's not fighting anything?!"

Wasn't it for many months we had a playstation2 in the market with no competition what so ever? Dreamcast and N64 dead... so how about we don't include the PS2 in any sales or argument because we still included it in console war topics before the launch of any other console!

er-no, stop being silly and grow up.

I also here the talks or power, how can the GameboyAdvance be a console and how can you compare it with consoles so 'advanced' to it in power, and therefore, how can you call it a 'console'. Let me ask you a question.

Is a Mini a car?
Then surely a Ferrari is a car as well?
By definition they are both cars surely?! No?

Another...

A small Halfords Bike with 10 gears, a bike?
A RockHopper Bike with 28 gears, a bike?

If you use the method of Turbonutter we have to come to the conclusion that a mini is not a car, because its power and capabilities are limited to the ferrari, and the Halfords bike in all ways is NOT A BIKE because its very limited compared with the RockHopper. Surely without a doubt, they have to be the same!

Heh, I have a good one, from what everyone has been going along, to compare these machines we have been using the word 'console' a lot:

The GBA is a console, it plays games, actually. Surely as the Playstation2 plays DVD's and is going to surf, we can no longer call it by definition a console. Ah well, infact. Holy Jesus, we cannot call the XBox a console either.

Wow.. THERE IS ONLY THE GAMECUBE LEFT. GAMECUBE WINS.

However, you cannot complete disagree with Turbonutter, because you can make a picture from what he is saying, that you cannot compare the consoles of the GBA and Gamecube/Playstation2/Xbox because of how it plays the games, I feel that is a different subject.

Its safe to say that Nintendo are being very much helped by the beautiful sales of the GBA, but YOU CAN NOT REMOVE IT FROM A CONSOLE WARS TOPIC, why? Because it is a console.

The curtains are shut to most of us in the gaming world, its up to the beholder to look behind them.

Thanks. :-D
er-no
Wed 02/01/02 at 03:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
Console definition: A machine solely built for the entertainment of video/interactive game/s.

Turbonutter throughout the course of yesterday made many statements which I thought silly and had a go at, I would like to finally conclude or maybe even begin a new argument.

Turbnutter said:
"The GBA and regular consoles like the PS2, GC and Xbox just can't be compared. If you offer a 100 people to choose betwen a free GBA or a PS2, GC or Xbox, seriously how many people would choose a GBA? It's be a miricle if it went into double figures."

Thats just bloody stupid, if you are saying they can't be compared on that basis, if you offer 100 people the playstation1 or the playstation2, I bet you the original wouldn't run into double figures. HOWEVER, does that mean you cannot compare them? DOES IT?

Turbonutter said:
"The GBA has no competition at all because it lives in a market all in its own. How can you include something in a "console war" when it's not fighting anything?!"

Wasn't it for many months we had a playstation2 in the market with no competition what so ever? Dreamcast and N64 dead... so how about we don't include the PS2 in any sales or argument because we still included it in console war topics before the launch of any other console!

er-no, stop being silly and grow up.

I also here the talks or power, how can the GameboyAdvance be a console and how can you compare it with consoles so 'advanced' to it in power, and therefore, how can you call it a 'console'. Let me ask you a question.

Is a Mini a car?
Then surely a Ferrari is a car as well?
By definition they are both cars surely?! No?

Another...

A small Halfords Bike with 10 gears, a bike?
A RockHopper Bike with 28 gears, a bike?

If you use the method of Turbonutter we have to come to the conclusion that a mini is not a car, because its power and capabilities are limited to the ferrari, and the Halfords bike in all ways is NOT A BIKE because its very limited compared with the RockHopper. Surely without a doubt, they have to be the same!

Heh, I have a good one, from what everyone has been going along, to compare these machines we have been using the word 'console' a lot:

The GBA is a console, it plays games, actually. Surely as the Playstation2 plays DVD's and is going to surf, we can no longer call it by definition a console. Ah well, infact. Holy Jesus, we cannot call the XBox a console either.

Wow.. THERE IS ONLY THE GAMECUBE LEFT. GAMECUBE WINS.

However, you cannot complete disagree with Turbonutter, because you can make a picture from what he is saying, that you cannot compare the consoles of the GBA and Gamecube/Playstation2/Xbox because of how it plays the games, I feel that is a different subject.

Its safe to say that Nintendo are being very much helped by the beautiful sales of the GBA, but YOU CAN NOT REMOVE IT FROM A CONSOLE WARS TOPIC, why? Because it is a console.

The curtains are shut to most of us in the gaming world, its up to the beholder to look behind them.

Thanks. :-D
er-no
Wed 02/01/02 at 03:19
Regular
You pritty much covered the subject.

I think the best points the one about comparing a mini to a ferrari. Both are for people who want somthin to travel in. And as Turbonutter with consoles, given the option of either, most people will take the ferrari.

To compare the sales of these two cars would be silly as they are aimed at different markets. Everyone (with a licence) drives a car. BUt everyone (with two hands) does not play video games.

We can do our comparisons between hardcore gamers and casual gamers...blah blah blah...but end of the day we more or less all buy the same stuff. So i say both the GBA and PS2 are aimed at the same market. Look at games on the GBA. We got games aimed at kids...pokemon etc...and games like Tekken, ZOE, DOOM, to appeal to more older people.
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
All I'm saying is this:

At the moment (not here yet though) you can buy 4 "consoles", the GBA, PS2, GC and Xbox. This creates what is commonly termed as a "console war". Now we all know that without a doubt the GBA will sell more than all the others. Does this mean it can be said to have "won"? I really don't think so. Many people don't put the GBA in the same class of the other three, mainly because it's only £70, is more than a generation (that's 5 years) behind in power and is currently, playing quite a lot of remakes. Sure, they're all consoles and they all play games, but whereas 3 of them can be defined as "very advanced, playing all the latest games, extreme graphics, bondary pushing ideas, quite expensive, blah blah blah" the GBA can be defined as "Somewhere between the PSone and the SNES, playing mostly remakes, quite cheap, handheld blah blah blah". In my opinion to say it has won the console war would be ludicrous. Sure, it may HELP the GC's sales, but we only really need to look at the GC's final sales in 4 years or so's time, and whatever bearing the GBA had had on that will be included in that.
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:13
i think that the only good thing about consoles is that they have decent beat-em-up's (tekkan), whereas the mighty pc's are left with mortal kombat and virtua fighter
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
...and DirectX errors, DOS memory maxing, crashing, incompatability, graphics card drivers, segfaults, lack of memory, and then, if you actually DO get it working, it crashes just metres from the save point!

PCs are not designed for gaming. In fact, as gaming hardware goes, they're pretty damn crap. Stable framerate on a PC? Not possible.
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:24
that depends on if you just have a crap and out dated pc, which i'm glad to say is not my case as i got mine recently, although i do understand the point you're making
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:30
"You love us!"
And that last post by Turbo Nutter must surly, once and for all, prove that he hasn't got a clue about PC gaming. Yes PC's weren't designed for games, but other than that fact (which is fairly obvious, even to my girlfriend!) everything else you said should be taken with a huge (were talking city-sized) grain of alt!

In fact to be honest, it appears that you have very little understanding or knowledge of ANY sort of gaming - other than the odd, very narrow minded opinion of someone who quite obviously has no idea how the industry works.

Still, at least your posts are funny :-)
Wed 02/01/02 at 17:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
I am waiting for Turbonutters reply to thta post by The_King.
Thu 03/01/02 at 01:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You're right. I do know very little about PC gaming, mainly because this PC is too poor.

And as for your remarks about my gaming knowledge, I refuse to take you seriously because you have only been reading my posts for two days.

But, if you must persist in your accusations, I feel I must challenge you! You have, ooh, a week to prove your claims.
Thu 03/01/02 at 03:19
Regular
"everyone says it"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You're right. I do know very little about PC gaming, mainly because this PC is
> too poor.

And as for your remarks about my gaming knowledge, I refuse to take
> you seriously because you have only been reading my posts for two days.

But,
> if you must persist in your accusations, I feel I must challenge you! You have,
> ooh, a week to prove your claims.

heh... I shall wait and see....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.