GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christmas Rejects"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 23:30
Regular
[this topic is NOT concerning gaming piracy and the 'morals' of buying illegitimate software, but about the policies employed by games shops, especially over the Christmas period]

It's reasonable to assume that almost all of us who use these forums are agreed on at least ONE major issue.

In general, it is universally agreed that piracy is completely unacceptable. Regardless of whether the prices of games in this day and age justify 'alternative' methods of acquiring software, most of us would agree that piracy is simply unacceptable because of;

a) the consequences on the market

and b) the vast majority of us are willing to pay for legitimate games, and feel somewhat cheated by those who persistently look for 'shortcuts' to save themselves money.

A simple glance throughout the SR forums will reveal a number of suggested ways to counter-act the problem of gaming piracy, but, where can the 'line' be drawn? What level can software/hardware companies go to in an effort to prevent gaming piracy? In theory, there will always be SOME way of 'cheating' the system, and the chances are we ALL know of, or HAVE known of, people who engage in piracy.

It's well known that many of us have the ability to pirate games (PS1 most notably) as MANY PC's are now sold with built in CD-Writing software. It's also highly likely that in the near future PS2 pirating will become much more popular, and before too long the sales of PS2 games will drop somewhat due to the increase in pirate software.

My point, however, is the policies employed by games shops, especially over the Christmas period.

You cannot fault the service from high-street retailers the likes of EB, Game, and HMV. At any stage of the year you can return any software for a full refund. It's great news for those of us who may from time to time want to legitimately return a game because of a duplicate birthday present, or because of a truly unacceptable game (as is my case with a Christmas present for my dad). It's sound business strategy, as it certainly influences me when deciding where to purchase my games. I know that I can buy a game knowing that I have the security of a full refund should I wish so.

However, how easy does this make piracy? ESPECIALLY, as during the Christmas period these policies are often extended until sometime in January. Once again, I fail to fault the service by all these companies, and as in my case it's great that I can return an awful game and get something a little better in it's place. What does this mean for piracy though? The ability to buy a game, create a pirate copy, and return it for a money-back refund!?

There's no way of changing this of course, because this sort of service is absolutely crucial to the success of major high-street retailers. Furthermore, why should we give up the opportunity to return unwanted gifts for those who persist to 'cheat' the system?

It's extremely unfortunate that the way games retailers work, tends to benefit gaming-pirates.

Of course it angers me that this sort of thing goes on continually, but then again... When you next visit your local game retailer and look through the bargain sections, it's a fair bet that a number of the games you see have been returned after being purchased for 'pirating' reasons.

But, a top quality new release, without any form of damage, for £25? No-one can complain about that. :-)

I may not agree with it, but I sure as hell make sure I benefit from the 'Christmas Rejects Syndrome'.
Tue 01/01/02 at 23:30
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
[this topic is NOT concerning gaming piracy and the 'morals' of buying illegitimate software, but about the policies employed by games shops, especially over the Christmas period]

It's reasonable to assume that almost all of us who use these forums are agreed on at least ONE major issue.

In general, it is universally agreed that piracy is completely unacceptable. Regardless of whether the prices of games in this day and age justify 'alternative' methods of acquiring software, most of us would agree that piracy is simply unacceptable because of;

a) the consequences on the market

and b) the vast majority of us are willing to pay for legitimate games, and feel somewhat cheated by those who persistently look for 'shortcuts' to save themselves money.

A simple glance throughout the SR forums will reveal a number of suggested ways to counter-act the problem of gaming piracy, but, where can the 'line' be drawn? What level can software/hardware companies go to in an effort to prevent gaming piracy? In theory, there will always be SOME way of 'cheating' the system, and the chances are we ALL know of, or HAVE known of, people who engage in piracy.

It's well known that many of us have the ability to pirate games (PS1 most notably) as MANY PC's are now sold with built in CD-Writing software. It's also highly likely that in the near future PS2 pirating will become much more popular, and before too long the sales of PS2 games will drop somewhat due to the increase in pirate software.

My point, however, is the policies employed by games shops, especially over the Christmas period.

You cannot fault the service from high-street retailers the likes of EB, Game, and HMV. At any stage of the year you can return any software for a full refund. It's great news for those of us who may from time to time want to legitimately return a game because of a duplicate birthday present, or because of a truly unacceptable game (as is my case with a Christmas present for my dad). It's sound business strategy, as it certainly influences me when deciding where to purchase my games. I know that I can buy a game knowing that I have the security of a full refund should I wish so.

However, how easy does this make piracy? ESPECIALLY, as during the Christmas period these policies are often extended until sometime in January. Once again, I fail to fault the service by all these companies, and as in my case it's great that I can return an awful game and get something a little better in it's place. What does this mean for piracy though? The ability to buy a game, create a pirate copy, and return it for a money-back refund!?

There's no way of changing this of course, because this sort of service is absolutely crucial to the success of major high-street retailers. Furthermore, why should we give up the opportunity to return unwanted gifts for those who persist to 'cheat' the system?

It's extremely unfortunate that the way games retailers work, tends to benefit gaming-pirates.

Of course it angers me that this sort of thing goes on continually, but then again... When you next visit your local game retailer and look through the bargain sections, it's a fair bet that a number of the games you see have been returned after being purchased for 'pirating' reasons.

But, a top quality new release, without any form of damage, for £25? No-one can complain about that. :-)

I may not agree with it, but I sure as hell make sure I benefit from the 'Christmas Rejects Syndrome'.
Wed 02/01/02 at 03:01
i htink it would be better for companys to work on a better cartridge. nintendo didnt to well with the N64 but saved alot of money using cartridges.
Wed 02/01/02 at 11:41
Regular
"DS..."
big_slow wrote:
> i htink it would be better for companys to work on a better cartridge. nintendo
> didnt to well with the N64 but saved alot of money using cartridges.

I dunno about saving money, but the N64 sure was better than the PSX which was originally just an add on 4 the snes! grr! damn sony, those traitors! and one things for sure when the gamcube is released over here it'll blow the competition away, long live the gamecube!
slik ~_~
Wed 02/01/02 at 12:14
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
$lik wrote:
> One things for sure when the gamcube is released over
> here it'll blow the competition away, long live the gamecube!
slik ~_~

Hmmmmmmmm, no. The PS2 and XBOX are going to rock; whereas the Gamecube is going to do crap. You know it makes sense.
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:18
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
big_slow wrote:
> i htink it would be better for companys to work on a better cartridge. nintendo
> didnt to well with the N64 but saved alot of money using cartridges.

Yeah but the games cost an absoloute fortune!

In-fact, they still do. I can't beleive that the N64 is all but dead yet they're still sellin games for £35-40. Surely it made sense to drop the prices dramatically to make as many sales as possible?
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
ADH wrote:

You cannot fault the service from high-street retailers the likes of
> EB, Game, and HMV. At any stage of the year you can return any software for a
> full refund. It's great news for those of us who may from time to time want to
> legitimately return a game because of a duplicate birthday present, or because
> of a truly unacceptable game (as is my case with a Christmas present for my
> dad.

Or complete the game in the 10 day period and then return for a full refund. :)
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:26
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
cookie monster wrote:

Or complete the game in the 10 day period
> and then return for a full refund. :)

It would seem we really do take full advantages of these policies. Still, surely there's a fair reason for this.

"The game was well below my expectations. I managed to complete it within 10 days, therefore gimme my money back and i'll have another"

Then again, they'd take any excuse as justification for a refund. :-)
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:31
Regular
"WWJD"
no point in completing it and getting a refund you want to keep the game i know i do
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:33
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Longy:0) wrote:
> no point in completing it and getting a refund you want to keep the game i know
> i do

Fair enough I suppose, but at least if it's the sort of game that offers no replay value (e.g your unlikely to pick it up very often.) surely it's worth getting another? Even if you are possibly going to play the game again in the future, if it's only once every 6 months, why not get someone more worthwhile?

We're paying enough money afterall, surely we deserve more for our money.
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:50
Regular
"WWJD"
Ok if it's got no replay value then yes it would be wise to bring it in, ive got SD3:JBI i bought from SR and it isn't that good it's boring now what shall i do if i take it too EB ill get like £25 when i got it the box was broke it had a crack down the side

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.