GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"someone explain emulators...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/03/03 at 11:05
Regular
HI, i need a bit of help understanding how emulators work.

do they install files and the like to run Console CD's e.g Gran Turismo? or do you have to plug it into a bloody console itself?

help plz.
Sun 02/03/03 at 11:05
Regular
HI, i need a bit of help understanding how emulators work.

do they install files and the like to run Console CD's e.g Gran Turismo? or do you have to plug it into a bloody console itself?

help plz.
Sun 02/03/03 at 11:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Emulator is usually a piece of software that pretends to run in the same way the console would. So you install the emulator software and use rom versions of the games. Most run like any ordinary program and allow you to play most of the games that are available.
Some work well but others are generally quite poor.
Still it lets some of us play the older consoles and classic games.
Sun 02/03/03 at 11:42
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
*Cannot condone such flagrent illegal behaviour*

I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger.
Sun 02/03/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
if you're thinking about getting a SNES emulator get the ZSNES one, it plays virtually every game there is and is very good.
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:01
Regular
Beards, what's Chrono Trigger like, as in what type of game is it? Heard a lot about it, usually blank out when someone mentions it.
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
know you didn't ask me but it's an RPG
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:04
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
It's an RPG. Made by Square, so it's FF-esque, but still different.
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:14
Regular
To put it simply Grix just download and play it, pure brilliance
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:05
Regular
so, aliboy, if i was to install the software, would it let me run CD's straight off or would i have to specifically get CD-Rom versions of an old console game which would be completely beating the whole purpose of getting an emulator in the first place?

p.s i aint got one, im just asking because i was still unclear, and im on a campaign for Gran Turismo 2 for PC....
Sun 02/03/03 at 21:11
Regular
"smile, it's free"
An emulator is a piece of software which runs on your PC. It is a program which 'emulates' the original console, allowing you to play ROM files.

A ROM is a game file. It's the game itself, in it's original code format designed for a particular console.

For example, suppose I have an emulator called 'Genecyst.exe' (a Sega Genesis/Megadrive emulator) and a file (the ROM) called 'goldenaxe.smd'. If I wanted to play that game, I would run Genecyst, and load the goldenaxe file. I would then be able to play the game.

Alternatively, if I had the hardware to do so, I could download the ROM onto a megadrive cartridge, and it would then run on a megadrive, like an original copy of the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.