GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2001 Cinema Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 17:12
Regular
I saw someone do this for games so I thought I would do a movie one, but it probably isn't as good, as informative, or as long.

The Oscars
The biggest films that were nominated were Gladiator, Chocolat, Traffic, Crouching tiger,Hidden Dragon, and Erin Brockovich. Best Picture went to Gladiator, which competed against the films mentioned above. Best Director went to Steven Soderbergh for Traffic, best actor to Russel Crowe for Gladiator, and best actress to Julia Roberts for her role in Erin Brockovich. Best Supporting actor went to Benicio Del Toro in Traffic, and Best Supporting actress to Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock. All in all, the highlights were Gladiator which got 5 awards, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which got 4 awards.

Box Office Records
In 2001, 2 films broke UK box office records, the ever so popular Bridget Jones' Diary, and the slightly dissapointing Harry Potter movie. Another film based on a book broke a record for being one of the most expensive films ever in the recently released Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Big Films
A very popular film of the year was Bridget Jones Diary, based on the equally popular book by Helen Fielding. Other highly anticipated and popular films this year also included American Pie 2, the Fast and the Furious, Swordfish, Tomb Raider, Pearl Harbour, Rush Hour 2, The Mummy Returns, Enemy at the Gate, Miss Congeniality, Meet the Parents, Unbreakable, Dude? Where's My Car?, Hannibal, Chocolat, Save the Last Dance, Get over It, Planet of the Apes,Scary Movie 2, A.I: Artificial Intelligence, The Gift, The Mexican, A Knight's Tale, Legally Blonde, Captain Corelli's Mandolin and many family films of the year (see below). I'm sure people are going to start saying "How could you miss out so and so?", but a lot of this is from memory.

Biggest Dissapointments
The list of highly anticipated, but highly criticised films is, as usual, huge. The two biggest examples are Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbour. Moulin Rouge was hyped up a lot as Baz Lurhman's next hit, but despite the popularity of the Lady Marmalade Song, the film was greatly criticised. Pearl Harbour was meant to be the next Titanic, but there were many complaints about it from survivors of the disaster about it being incorrect and badly titled. Other films that fit in this category are Jurrasic Park 3, A.I: Artificial Intelligence and Scary Movie 2.

A year for Family Films?
In my opinion, yes. The amount of popular family or kids films released this year is huge: Shrek, Cats and Dogs, Atlantis, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Evolution, Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within, Dr. Dolittle 2, Pokemon 3 and many more, with Monsters Inc. and Ice Age just around the corner.

Overall, I'd say its been a pretty good year for films, but none are really gonna be known as classics. I'd say 2000 was better.

Happy New Year!!!
Wed 02/01/02 at 20:45
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I think Traffic got 3 or 4 oscars in all.
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:33
Regular
"not dead"
I didn't realise that the director of Traffic got an Oscar for it.

Funny the film should get a mention, as I saw it for the first time last nigth. Excellent movie.
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:29
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Right I know that was a joke from your smiley (or was it :-D) but I think this a prime oppertunity to ask my question.

HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE!?!?!

I am so sure you haven't.

And in fact, I so hope you haven't.

And then when you do see it, I hope you love it. And then I'll accept your apology!!! :-D
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:28
Regular
A.I wasn't a disappointment, true....You expect that sort of crap from Steven Spielburg ;-)
Tue 01/01/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Final Fantasy was hardly a family film.

Anyway, A.I was NO DISAPPOINTMENT! It was good.

And neither was Jurassic Park 3. Jurassic Park 3 kicked the crap out of The Lost World. Okay so it wasn't as good as number 1 but it was never going to be. The original Jurassic Park was quality. The first sequel is what I think you're talking about here. The Lost World WAS a disappointment. Number 3 was not.

But hey, that's my opinion.

Except the A.I part of course. That's fact. :-D
Tue 01/01/02 at 19:20
Regular
Thank you, A.I. was a massive disappointment. You missed out Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but I'll allow that.

I take it you haven't seen LotR:FotR if you call it a family film. But a good review, well done.
Tue 01/01/02 at 17:12
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I saw someone do this for games so I thought I would do a movie one, but it probably isn't as good, as informative, or as long.

The Oscars
The biggest films that were nominated were Gladiator, Chocolat, Traffic, Crouching tiger,Hidden Dragon, and Erin Brockovich. Best Picture went to Gladiator, which competed against the films mentioned above. Best Director went to Steven Soderbergh for Traffic, best actor to Russel Crowe for Gladiator, and best actress to Julia Roberts for her role in Erin Brockovich. Best Supporting actor went to Benicio Del Toro in Traffic, and Best Supporting actress to Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock. All in all, the highlights were Gladiator which got 5 awards, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which got 4 awards.

Box Office Records
In 2001, 2 films broke UK box office records, the ever so popular Bridget Jones' Diary, and the slightly dissapointing Harry Potter movie. Another film based on a book broke a record for being one of the most expensive films ever in the recently released Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Big Films
A very popular film of the year was Bridget Jones Diary, based on the equally popular book by Helen Fielding. Other highly anticipated and popular films this year also included American Pie 2, the Fast and the Furious, Swordfish, Tomb Raider, Pearl Harbour, Rush Hour 2, The Mummy Returns, Enemy at the Gate, Miss Congeniality, Meet the Parents, Unbreakable, Dude? Where's My Car?, Hannibal, Chocolat, Save the Last Dance, Get over It, Planet of the Apes,Scary Movie 2, A.I: Artificial Intelligence, The Gift, The Mexican, A Knight's Tale, Legally Blonde, Captain Corelli's Mandolin and many family films of the year (see below). I'm sure people are going to start saying "How could you miss out so and so?", but a lot of this is from memory.

Biggest Dissapointments
The list of highly anticipated, but highly criticised films is, as usual, huge. The two biggest examples are Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbour. Moulin Rouge was hyped up a lot as Baz Lurhman's next hit, but despite the popularity of the Lady Marmalade Song, the film was greatly criticised. Pearl Harbour was meant to be the next Titanic, but there were many complaints about it from survivors of the disaster about it being incorrect and badly titled. Other films that fit in this category are Jurrasic Park 3, A.I: Artificial Intelligence and Scary Movie 2.

A year for Family Films?
In my opinion, yes. The amount of popular family or kids films released this year is huge: Shrek, Cats and Dogs, Atlantis, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Evolution, Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within, Dr. Dolittle 2, Pokemon 3 and many more, with Monsters Inc. and Ice Age just around the corner.

Overall, I'd say its been a pretty good year for films, but none are really gonna be known as classics. I'd say 2000 was better.

Happy New Year!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.