GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo find 3 new ways to play at E3"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/07/07 at 10:25
"possibly impossible"
Did I say 3? Well, it’s more like 2 and a half, but I’ll get to that.

The first major announcement from the home of the Wii was the ‘Zapper’ (named after the famous NES lightgun, fact fans). It’s a casing for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk that looks a bit like a white machine gun. The idea is that the Wii remote goes in the front and controls motion and aiming, and the Nunchuk sits at the back, so you can use the analogue control to move around. It sounds like it could be an ideal setup for First and Third person games and will debut with the Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles game. Sega have also announced Ghost Squad, the 2005 lightgun arcade game, for the system.

The next announcement was a surprise to everybody. Wii Fitness, a sort of sequel to Wii Sports, is a proper fitness routine, encompassing aerobics, yoga, muscle stretches and games. But it doesn’t use the Wii Remote as the main input device. Instead, it will come with a new Wii Balance Board (the name is possibly only temporary) which can measure your balance, weight, posture and stance. This relates to being able to take part in activities as diverse as hula-hooping, push ups, yoga moves and even heading footballs. Like the other devices, the balance board is wireless and looks a bit like a thin set of scales. See it in action, here.

As for that other half of a way to play, Mario Kart Wii has been announced, and with it Nintendo have produced their own Steering wheel. Of course, Ubisoft have had their own wheel since the launch of the console and its yet to be seen if the Nintendo effort can do anything different.
Thu 12/07/07 at 13:40
Regular
"lets go back"
There are "games" on the equipment at my gym. You can race a boat on the rowing machine for example.

This makes the exercise slightly less mundane for people who don't like the monotony of rowing back and forwards for 10 minutes. Its not, however, a good game. I might expect an exercise bike from argos to have several modes like this built in, but if I'm buying a games console I want actual games.
Thu 12/07/07 at 13:16
Regular
The Zapper thing might not work too hard, but I agree with Geffdof. If I want to do press ups, I'll do press ups. I'm not convinced a game can make exercise fun. However, I could well be proved wrong.

The Wii, if I'm honest, is a bit of a disappointment for me at the moment.
Thu 12/07/07 at 12:35
Regular
"lets go back"
I might be a bit cynical, but a light gun and a steering wheel are hardly the revolution the Nintendo promised with the birth of the Wii.

Steering wheels are, in my experience, usually crap. Light guns with direction control have existed since Time Crisis 2 was released and a new one with analogue controls has been announced several weeks ago by Namco.

The Wii scales look crap. It might feel like you are doing a press up but that is because you are doing press-ups. And the only thing more boring than hula hooping is pretending to hula hoop. Its another gimmick that would be fun for an afternoon with your friends, but doesnt provide a serious in-depth game.

I expected much better from Nintendo.
Thu 12/07/07 at 12:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
pb wrote:
> Really, you lot are what keeps gaming in the nerdy boys
> only realm, get with the times.

This is true and I can't deny it lol.

I guess I'm just jealous because I'm missing out on all the new fun that the current generation (or should that be 'new breed') of gamer is getting with the Wii. Nintendo managed to tap a market that nobody else (especially me) knew existed.

Having said that, Microsoft continue to cater for dinosaurs of the gaming industry like me. Hell, just look at Peter Moore, he reckoned the most impressive thing about the special edition Halo Xbox 360 was that he managed to hold it up with one hand during the press conference.
Thu 12/07/07 at 12:02
"possibly impossible"
Nintendo aren't saying everyone has to buy these things, they're just catering to their new audience. Really, you lot are what keeps gaming in the nerdy boys only realm, get with the times.

They've got new Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario platform etc games coming out this year and next, how is that leaving their loyal fans behind? And all the while they're doing this, they're also catering for a whole new batch of people getting into video games via these new means.

The 'skateboard' accessory (PS2 one) was pretty crap and worked with about 1 or 2 games, this thing isn't really a game accessory as such, more a fitness tool and since people went mad for Wii Sports as a fitness thing, they'll sell like hot cakes. It's a case of Nintendo sees a new audience to add to their existing one = more money for Nintendo and more people likely to possibly get in to their other franchises through it.

As for me, I'm quite interested in it myself, would be good to have that instead of some other massive fitness equipment in the room, something small like this and wireless that you can put away when you've finished with it.

The zapper is cheap enough ($19.99 retail in the US with a set of games, probably including a version of the classic Duck Hunt) and will be used by third parties as well as Nintendo themselves, but more importantly, it's not just geared to lightgun games as it sorts out the issues with FPS controls.
Thu 12/07/07 at 11:07
Regular
Hmmm, I'm not liking the sound of all these extra peripherals. You'll need one per game at this rate...
Thu 12/07/07 at 11:03
Regular
When they were showcasing the Wii Fitness it was like watching one of those shopping channels. What's happened to Nintendo? They've pretty much left their loyals fans behind for the dizzy heights of step Reebok and brain training.
Thu 12/07/07 at 10:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Lightguns, steering wheels and skateboard peripherals have been around since... I dunno, a long time, 1980s arcades? What's the next new toy, a Wii Joystick?

I'll be cynical and say that Nintendo are running out of ideas in the face of cinematic quality games on other formats that don't need extra bits of (rather expensive) plastic scattered around the living room in order to enjoy them.

It's like the Eyetoy or Guitars or... maracas. The novelty wears off pretty quickly. I've got an XBox Live Vision camera sitting next to me right now, been there for 8 months. Never been opened.
Thu 12/07/07 at 10:25
"possibly impossible"
Did I say 3? Well, it’s more like 2 and a half, but I’ll get to that.

The first major announcement from the home of the Wii was the ‘Zapper’ (named after the famous NES lightgun, fact fans). It’s a casing for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk that looks a bit like a white machine gun. The idea is that the Wii remote goes in the front and controls motion and aiming, and the Nunchuk sits at the back, so you can use the analogue control to move around. It sounds like it could be an ideal setup for First and Third person games and will debut with the Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles game. Sega have also announced Ghost Squad, the 2005 lightgun arcade game, for the system.

The next announcement was a surprise to everybody. Wii Fitness, a sort of sequel to Wii Sports, is a proper fitness routine, encompassing aerobics, yoga, muscle stretches and games. But it doesn’t use the Wii Remote as the main input device. Instead, it will come with a new Wii Balance Board (the name is possibly only temporary) which can measure your balance, weight, posture and stance. This relates to being able to take part in activities as diverse as hula-hooping, push ups, yoga moves and even heading footballs. Like the other devices, the balance board is wireless and looks a bit like a thin set of scales. See it in action, here.

As for that other half of a way to play, Mario Kart Wii has been announced, and with it Nintendo have produced their own Steering wheel. Of course, Ubisoft have had their own wheel since the launch of the console and its yet to be seen if the Nintendo effort can do anything different.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.