GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sequels aren't always a bad thing...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/09/00 at 12:53
Regular
I have heard compaints that the PS2 will only have sequels on it, but is that really always such a bad thing? I can see it being bad if the new game is just like the previous, with better graphics etc. But when it is a series that is always evolving in terms of gameplay surely this is acceptable. A good example of this are the Super Mario games. Even the 3 Nes games build on the previous to such an extent that they are not so much parts 2 and 3 but separate games involving the same characters. A poor example would be the Resident Evil games which are all basically the same with slightly different stories. The Mortal Kombat series didn't really improve that much either, but look at nintendo's Zelda games. Sega are trying to take sonic in new directions after the 3 (or more) Megadrive games that were all the same. Sega proved that they could do it on the Master System with Wonderboy & Alex Kidd.
So if a sequel is going to attract fans of the first game, and it is a significant improvement on and not too like the original, it can be a good thing.

P.S. What are your favourite series of games and how would you like to see them develop on the next generation consoles?
Mon 04/09/00 at 14:23
Regular
"not dead"
Though the Final Fantasy games aren't so much sequels as completely different games with a brand name! They aren't based in the same settings or involve the same characters- this is not a criticism, but maybe the name sells the game (as good as they are). Square could release a game that is in no way related to the previous one in the series, and it would still be a Final Fantasy game, and benefit from the extra sales the name generates.
Mon 04/09/00 at 14:17
there arnt many sequals which are better than the first, i personally think that tombraider is getting worse all the time, but i agree that the final fantasy series is good.
Mon 04/09/00 at 13:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
In terms of sequels being a good thing, take a look at the Final Fantasy series, each one being a completely new plot, different characters, completely revamped game engines, and new ideas abound in each one of the series.

This surely has to be the epitome of sequels being a good thing.
Mon 04/09/00 at 12:53
Regular
"not dead"
I have heard compaints that the PS2 will only have sequels on it, but is that really always such a bad thing? I can see it being bad if the new game is just like the previous, with better graphics etc. But when it is a series that is always evolving in terms of gameplay surely this is acceptable. A good example of this are the Super Mario games. Even the 3 Nes games build on the previous to such an extent that they are not so much parts 2 and 3 but separate games involving the same characters. A poor example would be the Resident Evil games which are all basically the same with slightly different stories. The Mortal Kombat series didn't really improve that much either, but look at nintendo's Zelda games. Sega are trying to take sonic in new directions after the 3 (or more) Megadrive games that were all the same. Sega proved that they could do it on the Master System with Wonderboy & Alex Kidd.
So if a sequel is going to attract fans of the first game, and it is a significant improvement on and not too like the original, it can be a good thing.

P.S. What are your favourite series of games and how would you like to see them develop on the next generation consoles?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.