GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Radeon 9700 or Geforce 4 Ti 4600? HELP!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/03/03 at 17:26
Regular
Which one of these do you reckon it's best to go for?

They're both 128Mb cards, but I haven't got a clue about PC gaming, so i'm havcing trouble deciding!

Anyone got any valid reasons for picking one over the other?

Radeons are supposed to be quite good, but ther'e snothing to use it for yet, apparantly... so a GeForce 4 Titanium, or even maybe an MX 460 would do for now... right?!

It's going in a P4 2.8 with 512 of DDR, maybe 1G in a month or two. But I'm not sure.

I only want it for Generals, Normal Browsing and maybe some decent FPS's and RTS's.

Thanks.

Game
Mon 03/03/03 at 17:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Which one of these do you reckon it's best to go for?

They're both 128Mb cards, but I haven't got a clue about PC gaming, so i'm havcing trouble deciding!

Anyone got any valid reasons for picking one over the other?

Radeons are supposed to be quite good, but ther'e snothing to use it for yet, apparantly... so a GeForce 4 Titanium, or even maybe an MX 460 would do for now... right?!

It's going in a P4 2.8 with 512 of DDR, maybe 1G in a month or two. But I'm not sure.

I only want it for Generals, Normal Browsing and maybe some decent FPS's and RTS's.

Thanks.

Game
Mon 03/03/03 at 19:09
Get the GeForce, it has much better drivers. The Radeon ones tend to be a bit flaky, and is sometimes the cause for crashes.

And once you do get it, play me on Generals. I can't get enough of it at the moement!
Tue 04/03/03 at 08:36
Regular
Or buy a cheaper radeon 9500 (non pro) and mod it to be as quick as a 9700, all you need to do is change a resister.

c.b.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:27
"You love us!"
Hmmm,

AMD_man, while changing a resistor isn't a big deal to people in the know, the guy said that he doesn't really know that much about PCs, and hell he's asking about what vid card he should get. So I doubt he has the skills to mod the 9500 up to a 9700 pro spec. Not having a go here, just an observation.

Anyhoo. I'd go for the 9700 in a heart beat. The Ti4600 pales into the dust when compared to the Radeon - and when you start turning on Anti-Aliasing and 8-tap AF the ATI card pulls out an even bigger lead on the GeForce.

In fact, at 1024X640 resolution, 4X AF and 2X AA on Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, or unreal T 2003, the Radeon 9500 Pro smokes the Ti4600, so as you can imagine the 256-bit DDR interface of the 9700 Pro means even more bandwidth. The 9700 Pro destroys the Ti 4600.

Also consider that the Radeon 9700 Pro is best teamed up with a good speed (read 2Ghz +) CPU, so on this score you have a match made in heaven.

And as for the drivers on ATI cards being poor? Well historically this has indeed been true, but since the release of the R3XX series of vid card ATI really have got their act together. The 'Catalyst' drivers have been getting good response from all over the industry and final seem to indicate that ATI have got it spot on. I would not have a single concern about the ATI drivers being not up to the job when buying a Radeon vid card. In 100% honesty, the nVida Dets are probably a better all-round driver package, but the ATI drivers are also very, very good – and will get even better!

On a side note, it seems that nVidia are having real problems with the drivers for their new GeForce FX range, apparently the drivers at the moment yield very poor performance. It seems the tables have well and truly turned.

Anyway don't just take my word for it. Have a look around the web and a few tech sites and checkout the reviews.

At this time, any gamer looking for the ultimate vid card for their system would be mad to consider any but a Radeon Card, unless of course they really couldn’t stretch to £140 as this is the price of the 9500 Pro.

Average gamer = 9500 Pro (£140-ish)
High end gamer = 9700 Pro (£250-ish)

Personally, I am going to wait for the 9800 Pro or possible the 9900 later this year. My GeForce 3 will have to do me for the moment, as I don't have the cash. :-(
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:56
Hmm, I have to take the lid off my Shuttle when playing Generals, to allow my graphics card to run more cooler. However, it stil rashes, especially when paying online or after two+ hours (it's addictive!)
Tue 04/03/03 at 20:37
Regular
Deltajava what graphics card have you got in your shuttle, just wondering.

c.b.
Tue 04/03/03 at 20:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I use a Geforce 4 Ti4600, but when i got it, it was the fastest thing you could buy, and it was bloody expensive.
Tue 04/03/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
So, is changing a resistor worth doing, or should I just get a 9700 and worry about modding that if I know how later on.

Does anyone know any sites that sell these Radeon 9700 Pro cards?
Wed 05/03/03 at 15:03
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Deltajava what graphics card have you got in your shuttle, just
> wondering.
>
> c.b.

GeForce3, one of the originals.
Wed 05/03/03 at 17:08
Regular
What i would do is buy a radeon 9500 and then mod it and with the extra money left on my video card budget i would buy something else to speed up my machine like more\better ram and\or cpu or water cooling kit with GPU water block so i can massivly overclock my already modded radeon 9500, but this may be a bit techy for you but hey you have to start somewere and all is pretty simple.

c.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.