GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OK, no need for the SP now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/03/03 at 20:25
Regular
As I suspected there is a GBA 2 in the works. No doubt they'll announce it soon after we've all bought SP's. And as there's no way they'd make it inferior to the SP, we may as well all wait for the new arrival. Or the GBA 3, while we're here.

If there's already a topic on this, take consolation in my deepest sorrow.
Wed 05/03/03 at 18:27
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I actually thought people would understand what I meant....
Wed 05/03/03 at 15:52
"Darkness, always"
Consoles, even hand held ones, take YEARS to develop.

They don't just hash a few components together and hope it works and can play games.

GBA2 won't hit the shelves for some years.
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Cooky wrote:
> The GBASP is the GB Pocket for the GBA. Just the same old machine,
> but in a smaller, flashier set of clothes.

Thusly no need for it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 12:00
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The GBA 2's been in planning and development since the release of the GBA, if not before. Consoles always are.

The GBASP is the GB Pocket for the GBA. Just the same old machine, but in a smaller, flashier set of clothes.

:)
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:26
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Of course Nintendo are going to be working on a next generation handheld! It's like saying 'EXCLUSIVE.. Ford are working on a new car design!' I.e. it's the most blatently obvious statement you can make.

The point is..

You can get the GBA SP now for 80 quid. It's got brilliant games, and it will give you literally hundreds of hours of fun.

In the next 1-3 years before the GBA2, I'm sure even the most pitiful pocket money allowance can get together the 100 quid or so it'll probably cost.

So why wait?
Tue 04/03/03 at 20:42
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dringo wrote:
> That's poppycock (I love that word)... The GBA 2 was confirmed along
> with the Gamecube 2 in that speech some blokey from Nintendo gave (you
> know what I mean).

Erm....no, actually. As well as the recent rumours it was confirmed in an interview with a female...erm....woman from Nintendo recently on IGN (I don't subscribe myself, but was sent the link).

So what makes you think that they'll wait for ages before releasing the GBA2? You think they want to be as nice as possible to everyone on the planet? No company is nice. They'll wait a few months after March 28th and then say "Hey, we've got this new thing we're working on" along with preliminary pictures. Then everyone'll say "I wish I hadn't bought one now" - because really you will NEED the GBA2 as new games will only be compatible with it. The SP is a choice, but if you want to carry on buying new games the GBA2 won't be.

Although that said I may still buy an SP and then wait for GBA3.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
The lit screen, batterys, design, portablility....

They've all been improved on the SP - and believe me, the screen alone has more than made the effort of importing one of these worth while.

Do people really think the original GBA screen is acceptable??? The games look completely different in the correct light! I honestly didn't know the GBA could produce the graphics it can because I couldn't see them correctly. Colours seemed to be 90% brown in most lighting conditions.

When you get to look at an SP, try flicking between light on and light off. I would estimate the quality of the image to be twice as good in 99% of lighting conditions.

The SP is like a GBA2 such is the improvement!

Just to note, I also have a GBA with an afterburner installed. The SP is an improvement over this in that the light is spead evenly 100% across the screen, and there's no specs of dust trapped behind it. I do realise that these problems were probably due to my installation technique ;) I'd still give the afterburner an 8/10 compared to the SPs 10/10 and the original GBA 5/10.
Mon 03/03/03 at 21:52
Regular
If you people want to wait years for the next generation of Game Boys thats up to you. However if you find you have gone blind from squinting at your dark old screens then you really will regret not upgrading to the SP.
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:55
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Dringo wrote:
> Yes the GBA 2 might come out within the next 2 years to coincide with
> the Cube... if you'd rather wait then feel free to do so.

Yep. I'm getting a GBA SP because my GBA broke, damnit. I might as well, considering it has everything I need, and I'll save a fortune on batteries!
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:51
Regular
That's poppycock (I love that word)... The GBA 2 was confirmed along with the Gamecube 2 in that speech some blokey from Nintendo gave (you know what I mean).

Yes the GBA 2 might come out within the next 2 years to coincide with the Cube... if you'd rather wait then feel free to do so.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.