GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Medal of Honour"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Medal Of Honour'.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:19
Regular
Allied Assault, great game although I think it was spoiled a bit by EA rushing the development of the game to fit in a multiplayer section, which was crap, but on the whole it was a great experience to play.

Rather unsuprisingly, it's getting a sequel this year, probably next at the latest. Not only that but Allied Assault is also getting a second expansion pack in the following months, as it appears EA loves to cash in on these things.

Here is the info on these two game, courtesy of Gamespot:

"At a press event dedicated to the upcoming Medal of Honor games Rising Sun and Pacific Assault, Electronic Arts has confirmed that there's an unnamed expansion to the best-selling Medal of Honor: Allied Assault in the works that's scheduled for the summer. The expansion will have players assume the role of a new operative and will start off in the North African deserts and then follow the mountainous Italian campaign"
"The new expansion is planned to be noticeably longer than the Spearhead expansion released last November. EA Senior Producer Matt Powers commented that Spearhead had a series big sequences, but less in the way of downtime or long action-focused stretches than Allied Assault, and that's what contributed to making it shorter. The second expansion will have some more drawn out action sequences."

Sounds interesting, I didn't go for the Spearhead expansion because I didn't think 2 and a half hours game playing time was worth £20, so maybe this new expansion will make up the short length of the first add-on.
Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault

"The new first-person shooter has been in development since shortly after EA's Los Angeles studio completed the Spearhead expansion for Allied Assault in November, and thanks to sharing some preproduction work with Medal of Honor Rising Sun, the new PC game should be completed relatively quickly--by next January. While the two Pacific theater games follow completely different stories and have very different gameplay styles suited to their respective platforms, the eight months the EA team spent on Rising Sun's preproduction is coming in handy for the Pacific Assault team. The location research--which for example, brought to the artists' attention the differences between the jungles of the South Pacific and those of Thailand--is being carried over directly, and some early Rising Sun assets like concept art and motion capture animations are being used as well.

The EA LA team plans to follow Allied Assault's successful gameplay approach of combining scripted cinematic moments with slightly slower-paced action sequences, all of it enlivened by a healthy dose of historical authenticity. The key scene comparable to Allied Assault portrayal of D-Day will be the first mission in Pearl Harbor, and we might expect that to be the first demo level we'll see. In the middle of the chaos, as innumerable Japanese planes tear into anchored Pacific fleet, you'll play a part by saving lives, shooting down planes, and taking out torpedoes before they hit their targets. Still, there's no way you can turn the tide alone, and just maybe it's one of the torpedoes that got away from you that dealt the fatal blow to the USS Arizona.
As the game progresses, you'll see action all across the Pacific, including the major battles such as Guadalcanal. Missions often aren't fought alone, and to make for a few familiar there'll be a few squadmates that will stick with you as the story progresses. Another way the designers are thinking of reinforcing the impact of the Pacific war is by showing the main character in cutscenes--a first for a Medal of Honor game--to convey how he changes mentally and physically after months on the front lines. If the idea pans out, he'll go from being a green recruit to looking buff and battle-hardened, with the "thousand yard stare" of a man who's seen plenty of action.

One of the new elements to Pacific Assault's design is that, like Rising Sun, many levels will feature multiple paths--not only multiple directions to approach a target but even a couple targets to choose from. You might head one way to take out some tanks or another to ambush troops, but either way you'll have to deal with the other force at a later point. This doesn't mean the game will be non-linear, and the paths will converge, at least in part so you won't ever miss the cool scripted sequences that helped make Allied Assault's single-player so memorable. The Pacific setting will also introduce a whole new arsenal to play with, as well as a fierce enemy, the unrelenting Japanese Imperial Army. As in Allied Assault, there will be a number of as-yet-undisclosed vehicles you'll get to ride in or control yourself."

Sounds very promising, and it's nice to see the game change settings from the usual European countryside to the pacific, it's generally a part of the second world war you don't get to see much of in games. The Pearl Harbour assault sounds great, and it'll be interesting to see how some of the new features are implemented. Too bad it isn't out till next year though, but if EA manage to control themselves and let the game be developed instead of rushing it, it could be worth the wait.
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Alright then I might give it a try, certainly the levels I've seen in the videos I've watched look great so maybe I won't be as dissapointed with the expansion as I assume I would have been.
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think you'd enjoy it.
Yes it's a bit short, but the levels are such an improvement over most of Allied Assault.

You start in a plane, then bail out and have to make your way to a boat.
You can use massive anti-aircraft guns, tanks, better rifles & machine guns etc.

The Ardennes Forest level rules. It's similar to Omaha Beach in massive thumping explosions, panic and chaos that that level ends with you having to sweep and clear a town.

Sure it's short but for less than £20, it's like playing the best levels from Allied Assault with different weapons and more involvement.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:55
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm still not sure about Spearhead, I know a place where i can get it for £15, and the some of the levels which come with the game sound great. I'll have a think about it.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hear Hear.

The levels I liked on Allied Assault:

Omaha Beach, Nebelwerfer Hun, Sniper Town

Basically the town-based, using cover and hiding levels that made it feel like you were in a war scenario as opposed to charging about shooting willy-nilly.
I found Spearhead was uniformerly excellent.
From the parachute drop-in start to the Berlin tank-battle finale.

Well worth the money and each level is 100% replayable.
Wed 05/03/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
cipro, you should give Spearhead a go, it's really very good. I know it took a lot of stick for being short, but EALA did a much better job of level design than 2025 did - and though it's only three mission's, they are stronger than any three missions from the original - and the second mission (Bastogne) comes close to topping the Omaha beach for cinematic excitement. On the whole, the missions are designed with more thought than Allied Assault, offer as much replay value as the original - especially when there are only three out of the five original mission sets that I'll play again, I don't feel that Spearhead is a waste of money.

Strangely enough, I was talking to a mate about MoH at the weekend, discussing what they would do next. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Pacific Theatre and North Africa were mentioned - you're right that the Pearl Harbour attack would transfer very well to provide MoH with that 'Chaotic, yet scripted' style of gaming that it produces so well. As WWII covered pretty much every terrain type, it gives EA the option of doing what they do best - turn out what is essentially the same game, just with improvements here and there and a different environment to play in.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:23
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Yay!
They'll never beat the Normandy beach landing, but I hope they try.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:19
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Allied Assault, great game although I think it was spoiled a bit by EA rushing the development of the game to fit in a multiplayer section, which was crap, but on the whole it was a great experience to play.

Rather unsuprisingly, it's getting a sequel this year, probably next at the latest. Not only that but Allied Assault is also getting a second expansion pack in the following months, as it appears EA loves to cash in on these things.

Here is the info on these two game, courtesy of Gamespot:

"At a press event dedicated to the upcoming Medal of Honor games Rising Sun and Pacific Assault, Electronic Arts has confirmed that there's an unnamed expansion to the best-selling Medal of Honor: Allied Assault in the works that's scheduled for the summer. The expansion will have players assume the role of a new operative and will start off in the North African deserts and then follow the mountainous Italian campaign"
"The new expansion is planned to be noticeably longer than the Spearhead expansion released last November. EA Senior Producer Matt Powers commented that Spearhead had a series big sequences, but less in the way of downtime or long action-focused stretches than Allied Assault, and that's what contributed to making it shorter. The second expansion will have some more drawn out action sequences."

Sounds interesting, I didn't go for the Spearhead expansion because I didn't think 2 and a half hours game playing time was worth £20, so maybe this new expansion will make up the short length of the first add-on.
Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault

"The new first-person shooter has been in development since shortly after EA's Los Angeles studio completed the Spearhead expansion for Allied Assault in November, and thanks to sharing some preproduction work with Medal of Honor Rising Sun, the new PC game should be completed relatively quickly--by next January. While the two Pacific theater games follow completely different stories and have very different gameplay styles suited to their respective platforms, the eight months the EA team spent on Rising Sun's preproduction is coming in handy for the Pacific Assault team. The location research--which for example, brought to the artists' attention the differences between the jungles of the South Pacific and those of Thailand--is being carried over directly, and some early Rising Sun assets like concept art and motion capture animations are being used as well.

The EA LA team plans to follow Allied Assault's successful gameplay approach of combining scripted cinematic moments with slightly slower-paced action sequences, all of it enlivened by a healthy dose of historical authenticity. The key scene comparable to Allied Assault portrayal of D-Day will be the first mission in Pearl Harbor, and we might expect that to be the first demo level we'll see. In the middle of the chaos, as innumerable Japanese planes tear into anchored Pacific fleet, you'll play a part by saving lives, shooting down planes, and taking out torpedoes before they hit their targets. Still, there's no way you can turn the tide alone, and just maybe it's one of the torpedoes that got away from you that dealt the fatal blow to the USS Arizona.
As the game progresses, you'll see action all across the Pacific, including the major battles such as Guadalcanal. Missions often aren't fought alone, and to make for a few familiar there'll be a few squadmates that will stick with you as the story progresses. Another way the designers are thinking of reinforcing the impact of the Pacific war is by showing the main character in cutscenes--a first for a Medal of Honor game--to convey how he changes mentally and physically after months on the front lines. If the idea pans out, he'll go from being a green recruit to looking buff and battle-hardened, with the "thousand yard stare" of a man who's seen plenty of action.

One of the new elements to Pacific Assault's design is that, like Rising Sun, many levels will feature multiple paths--not only multiple directions to approach a target but even a couple targets to choose from. You might head one way to take out some tanks or another to ambush troops, but either way you'll have to deal with the other force at a later point. This doesn't mean the game will be non-linear, and the paths will converge, at least in part so you won't ever miss the cool scripted sequences that helped make Allied Assault's single-player so memorable. The Pacific setting will also introduce a whole new arsenal to play with, as well as a fierce enemy, the unrelenting Japanese Imperial Army. As in Allied Assault, there will be a number of as-yet-undisclosed vehicles you'll get to ride in or control yourself."

Sounds very promising, and it's nice to see the game change settings from the usual European countryside to the pacific, it's generally a part of the second world war you don't get to see much of in games. The Pearl Harbour assault sounds great, and it'll be interesting to see how some of the new features are implemented. Too bad it isn't out till next year though, but if EA manage to control themselves and let the game be developed instead of rushing it, it could be worth the wait.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.