GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silent Hill 2 VS Resident Evil: Code Veronica X"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/12/01 at 20:16
Regular
Many a time have I sat down playing a good horror game, we are all guilty of doing it and can't deny it. With the success of horror games on the PSONE such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone In The Dark, and Galerians to name but a few it was inevitable that horror games would make their way to the PS2 and sure enough here they are and what a lot of them there are as well. If you are a fan of the horror genre and own a PS2 then there has never been a better time for you as you can buy first class titles such as Ominusha: Warlords, Devil May Cry, Extermination, Alone In The Dark 4: The New Nightmare, Silent Hill 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X. The latter two being arguably the best two horror games ever made.

The question that has been asked though is which is better Resident Evil: Code Veronica X or Silent Hill 2? A pretty reasonable question as well considering you have to fork out £45 a time to get a game, you might as well purchase the better of the two. Is this simply a question of gameplay vs gameplay or is it more in-depth? Gore VS Chiller, Capcom VS Konami, Zombies VS Mutations of Flesh, Policeman VS Man, Good VS Evil?

I suppose inevitably it all boils down to what you expect from a game and more importantly what you want from a game.

Gameplay wise you can't fault either game. Both games provide a good mix of action with puzzles. Do you prefer to shoot the hell out of an enemy until it falls to the floor a bloodied mess or do you prefer to be scared?

Resident Evil CVX provides one hell of a lot of gore. Zombies are sensitive to where you hit them and blood pours out violently if you irritate the skin. The graphics are impressive in the sense that they are very realistic, you will here the splash of a puddle or the roar of a blazing fire, it is so real that you almost feel the heat from the fire. This also means pain can be felt, you will feel the zombie chomp into your flesh leaving a chunk of your shoulder missing, you will feel your head smack the wall as the tyrant throws you across the room, and you will sure as hell feel that limb disapear when a hunter directs it fury at unsuspecting prey - you!

Silent Hill 2 is equally as impressive but this time it wants to scare you, you have a radio and a small torch. The radio gives off a signal when there is an enemy nearby and the torch provides very little light giving you the "oh my god where is it?" scenario when you can hear the radio but can't see the creature. When you finally do though by god will you be scared, they are mutations of flesh moulded together, they will crawl scream and spray poisnous gas at you. Your blood will boil, then it will overboil until you can't take it anymore and are simply forced to turn the machine off - but you can't turn it off because it is addictive like a drug asking you to take another slice, go a little further into the game and play a little more.

So what is it to be then, do you prefer gore or fear?

What about Capcom or Konami?

Capcom have brought master pieces such as Street Fighter to the games industry, Super Puzzle Fighter, Dino Crisis, Ominusha and Devil May Cry. Surely if you want a horror game you are guaranteed quality with Capcom considering there background.

On the other hand Konami have brought us master pieces such as MGS, Zone Of The Enders, ISS, and Shadow Of Memories. Such an agonising decision to decide which company is better.

Capcom has horror experience but Konami generally brings out quality titles every single time.

Zombies VS Mutations Of Flesh

Zombies are standard enemies, they aren't too scarey but they get the job done and can provide the odd jump moment.

Mutations Of Flesh slide and riggle, making you squirm and your stomach roll. Would you rather face these or the standard zombies?

Policeman VS MAn

Do you want to fight as a high powered muscle man with brilliant weapons or do you want to be the average day tom, dick or James Sunderland? I guess it depends what gamer you are, are you the kind of gamer that likes to use rocket launches or do you like a more realistic story.

Good VS Evil

As for good vs evil when you have played Resi and Silent Hill 2 both of them look good and both of them contain evil so it is impossible to tell which is which.

Now it's up to you, what do you think?
Is Silent Hill 2 better or does Resident Evil Code Veronica X have the edge?

...you didn't expect me to answer the question for you did you?
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:16
Many a time have I sat down playing a good horror game, we are all guilty of doing it and can't deny it. With the success of horror games on the PSONE such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone In The Dark, and Galerians to name but a few it was inevitable that horror games would make their way to the PS2 and sure enough here they are and what a lot of them there are as well. If you are a fan of the horror genre and own a PS2 then there has never been a better time for you as you can buy first class titles such as Ominusha: Warlords, Devil May Cry, Extermination, Alone In The Dark 4: The New Nightmare, Silent Hill 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X. The latter two being arguably the best two horror games ever made.

The question that has been asked though is which is better Resident Evil: Code Veronica X or Silent Hill 2? A pretty reasonable question as well considering you have to fork out £45 a time to get a game, you might as well purchase the better of the two. Is this simply a question of gameplay vs gameplay or is it more in-depth? Gore VS Chiller, Capcom VS Konami, Zombies VS Mutations of Flesh, Policeman VS Man, Good VS Evil?

I suppose inevitably it all boils down to what you expect from a game and more importantly what you want from a game.

Gameplay wise you can't fault either game. Both games provide a good mix of action with puzzles. Do you prefer to shoot the hell out of an enemy until it falls to the floor a bloodied mess or do you prefer to be scared?

Resident Evil CVX provides one hell of a lot of gore. Zombies are sensitive to where you hit them and blood pours out violently if you irritate the skin. The graphics are impressive in the sense that they are very realistic, you will here the splash of a puddle or the roar of a blazing fire, it is so real that you almost feel the heat from the fire. This also means pain can be felt, you will feel the zombie chomp into your flesh leaving a chunk of your shoulder missing, you will feel your head smack the wall as the tyrant throws you across the room, and you will sure as hell feel that limb disapear when a hunter directs it fury at unsuspecting prey - you!

Silent Hill 2 is equally as impressive but this time it wants to scare you, you have a radio and a small torch. The radio gives off a signal when there is an enemy nearby and the torch provides very little light giving you the "oh my god where is it?" scenario when you can hear the radio but can't see the creature. When you finally do though by god will you be scared, they are mutations of flesh moulded together, they will crawl scream and spray poisnous gas at you. Your blood will boil, then it will overboil until you can't take it anymore and are simply forced to turn the machine off - but you can't turn it off because it is addictive like a drug asking you to take another slice, go a little further into the game and play a little more.

So what is it to be then, do you prefer gore or fear?

What about Capcom or Konami?

Capcom have brought master pieces such as Street Fighter to the games industry, Super Puzzle Fighter, Dino Crisis, Ominusha and Devil May Cry. Surely if you want a horror game you are guaranteed quality with Capcom considering there background.

On the other hand Konami have brought us master pieces such as MGS, Zone Of The Enders, ISS, and Shadow Of Memories. Such an agonising decision to decide which company is better.

Capcom has horror experience but Konami generally brings out quality titles every single time.

Zombies VS Mutations Of Flesh

Zombies are standard enemies, they aren't too scarey but they get the job done and can provide the odd jump moment.

Mutations Of Flesh slide and riggle, making you squirm and your stomach roll. Would you rather face these or the standard zombies?

Policeman VS MAn

Do you want to fight as a high powered muscle man with brilliant weapons or do you want to be the average day tom, dick or James Sunderland? I guess it depends what gamer you are, are you the kind of gamer that likes to use rocket launches or do you like a more realistic story.

Good VS Evil

As for good vs evil when you have played Resi and Silent Hill 2 both of them look good and both of them contain evil so it is impossible to tell which is which.

Now it's up to you, what do you think?
Is Silent Hill 2 better or does Resident Evil Code Veronica X have the edge?

...you didn't expect me to answer the question for you did you?
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, despite them being two different type of survival horror, I'd say SH2 is the best.
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:25
True Silent Hill 2 is a great game, I found it absolutely absorbing, although I did feel the storyline got a bit OTT towards the end.

Then again though Resident Evil: Code Veronica X is the longest RE and is definitely a valiant effort from Capcom.
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:30
Regular
"WWJD"
Your biased towards SH2 you say Zombies arn;t scary i think you would be scared and the people in Res Evil any normal Tom Dick and Harry there both part of or where part of the S.T.A.R.S unit that isn't normal they get other weapons aswell im sure the people in SH2 aren't all body builders or something and Res Evil is as scary as any. I far prefer Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SH2 is more of a psychological "eating away at your sanity" kind of game, much like "The Cube". There are undeniably scary parts in it, but most of the time you find yourself a quivvering mass of nervous wreck without actually encountering anything scary. A true masterpiece.

RE:CVX is a much less sophisticated shock 'em up. Yes, it's creepy, but not really very. The thrills rely more on set pieces and CG really. That doesn't make it any less good, it just means that the two aren't really comparable.

OK, here's one:

Which SH and which RE is best?
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Longy:0) wrote:
> Your biased towards SH2 you say Zombies arn;t scary i think you would be scared
> and the people in Res Evil any normal Tom Dick and Harry there both part of or
> where part of the S.T.A.R.S unit that isn't normal they get other weapons aswell
> im sure the people in SH2 aren't all body builders or something and Res Evil is
> as scary as any. I far prefer Resident Evil: Code Veronica X

I see the National Literacy campaign is making a difference then...
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:35
Regular
Is devil May Cry meant to be scary because it isnt scary one bit. i was expecting monsters jumping out from every angle like they do in the resident evil games.
resident evil games are better then the silent hill games.
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:36
Longy:0) wrote:
> Your biased towards SH2 you say Zombies arn;t scary i think you would be scared
> and the people in Res Evil any normal Tom Dick and Harry there both part of or
> where part of the S.T.A.R.S unit that isn't normal they get other weapons aswell
> im sure the people in SH2 aren't all body builders or something and Res Evil is
> as scary as any. I far prefer Resident Evil: Code Veronica X

If you read the message I called James Sunderland an average man not the STARS team, I am guessing from your reply you haven't played Silent Hill or you would know James is not a body builder!
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Kid Rock wrote:
> Is devil May Cry meant to be scary because it isnt scary one bit. i was
> expecting monsters jumping out from every angle like they do in the resident
> evil games.

No, DMC is an action game. The genre tag of "Survival Horror" is false.

On the subject of James Sunderland:

It actually states clearly in the manual: "Remember, James is an ordinary man who has recieved no special weapons training..."
Sun 30/12/01 at 20:47
Kid Rock wrote:
> Is devil May Cry meant to be scary because it isnt scary one bit. i was
> expecting monsters jumping out from every angle like they do in the resident
> evil games.

Devil May Cry is more a Soul Reaver type of game then a Resident Evil or Silent Hill game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.