GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the ultimate console plus the answer to the end of console wars"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 21:34
Regular
i Thought alot about how the companys could stop console wars, and then i tought of them all joining together and making one big console . I know that you all are saying dont be daft or dont talk a load of bull but just think of the games you would get not to menstion the great games that are around now, i mean if your anything like me you got two consoles in my case its Xbox and Ps2 but you want the other, i want GC because its got Pokemon well it has'nt but it will lets face it. its got Zelda thats a great game now who has'nt heard of Mario, not to let Zero X go great game back on N64 and many many others.
Or maybe you want the Xbox thats got games like Dead Or Alive 3 great grapics on that now aint there. Blinx ok its not Sonic but it pretty damn good and then there's Halo the only other way to play Halo is on the PC and then there's Raw 2 and Halo 2 yea i thought so.
Or maybe your one of about 10 that have not got a PS2 yet,What are you thinking check the games out on that, stuff like GTA3 GTA Vice City heck you need both of them, i mean most of us who got that are under aged, "ups was that out loud" .Then theres Tekken 4 about the best fighting game on the PS2 yes even better than Virtua Fighter 4 plus there's Smackdown 4 heck who needs Raw plus GT3 simply the best better than all the rest,plus others.

Then there's those games that are multi platform most of them are different take that game in the last issue of CVG the PS2 version has A Tekken character and GC has Link plus Xbox's character then MKDA has better grapics on a different console than the PS2 .

Now on to the machines them self they all have ups and downs the PS2's is it scratch's your discs and some time's you have to play it upside down the Xbox's is the fact that you have to buy the DVD controll ohh and dont forget its heavy and now the GC its got no DVD drive whats with that.
Not to forget when you argue about whats the best lets face it we've all done it.

Now look at the good points we would get from them doing it.
Firstly we could get all the great games and you would not have to share out your money i mean to buy all three it cost's 199.00 for Xbox 169, for the PS2 120, for the GC all together you would spend around 500.00 pounds come on put them all in one and sell it at around 400 and dont forget all the extras that you have to buy that adds alot on and one more bad thing you've got all them wires around god damn.
Lastly the games that would come from it Halo meets Tomb Raider meets Prime Fusion, Mario meets Sonic meets Blinx meets Spyro plus Bandicoot all in one game come on,not to mentsion the ultimate fighter Mortal Kombat vs Tekken vs DOA vs Virtua Fighter vs Super Smash Bros, and then F Zero X mixed with Destruction Derby and the grapics of GT3 and guns of Twisted Metal and dont forget Splinter Cell teams up with Metal Gear Solid now that would be great.

So would you like a console like that i know i would .

plus any other ideas i might have forgot tell me them
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
You know, when I first thought about there just being a single console on the market, I thought that would be the best thing in the world, all those games, many many games. Of course, I was a lot younger then, back when the MegaDrive was as powerful as it got.

Then a few years later, the subject popped up again, and I thought like you, that it would be a downfall. No competition means the games would get higher prices and probably start to lack in ideas and creativity.

Now, after reading the original post in this thread, I've gone back to thinking it might not be such a bad idea.

If you think about it, if there were just one single console, that would eliminate the competition, sure, but don't most companies actually make a loss on their hardware systems??? If one set standard machine was created and manufactured, the quantities required would surly be enough to create a break-even at least.

It would then allow every single developer to instead have teams of people learning how to code for different consoles, to instead have the entire development team to learn and create for the same machine, meaning either quicker developments of single games or more games from the same company being developed at once. the programmers, graphics designers, sound engineers etc would have a larger group of people in their team, allowing for more knowledge to be put forward and in turn allowing the hardware of the console to be pushed to its limits far quicker, making for a better gaming experience.

With the eve of Online console gaming set to take of on a much larger scale this year compared to before, imagine if that one single console was able to connect to any other system in the world, via the single giant network, which would allow for faster and larger gameplay, because would wouldn't have the likes of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft each wanting to go over the internet with their different system connections and clogging each other up.

Plus, with the single system, all games using the same code for online gaming, mixing up games could be possible, with the likes of Virtua Figher characters battling with some dude from Tekken, or Mario in his kart, racing against someone on a Ridge Racer course.

Piracy could be eliminated, if a new format for the games to be stored on were to be created for a single console. Only the manufactures would have the correct system and specs to make the storage device, and people at home won't be able to simply use a DVD burner to copy their rental game they just bought home.

That was just me thinking out loud .... I can't really see a single console being of any real benefit to any of the large companies, who all want your money to themselves. I just thought I'd see which positives I could dream up for a single console. Console wars are what keeps the market up on it's toes .... look at the Wrestling scene ... Vince know owns the three most popular companies in the USA, and the fan base is slowly disappearing.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:09
Regular
And your nearly a regular xray man.

Him being a regular, youd think he`d know that no competion means a downfall in games and an increase in the price.
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:55
Regular
god not another one! I mean, im a newbie yet I've been here for over a year so when someone uses that against me its just pointless. I hate these topics. :(
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
And you forgot the economics!

It would create a monopoly of the market, prices would skyrocket as there were no competitors tochallenge them!

They could charge whatever they wanted...
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:36
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The thing is, you wouldn't get a great console if all the companies merged together to create one 'super-console' - there would be no competition, and therefore, the developers wouldn't have to concentrate on making it much good.

It would be the same with games - if all the games companies were merged together to work on some games, then there would be yet again, no competition from rival games companies, so it wouldn't matter if the game wasn't top notch, as it would be all that is around.

A re-think is needed. :-)
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:34
Regular
""to many dead hero""
i Thought alot about how the companys could stop console wars, and then i tought of them all joining together and making one big console . I know that you all are saying dont be daft or dont talk a load of bull but just think of the games you would get not to menstion the great games that are around now, i mean if your anything like me you got two consoles in my case its Xbox and Ps2 but you want the other, i want GC because its got Pokemon well it has'nt but it will lets face it. its got Zelda thats a great game now who has'nt heard of Mario, not to let Zero X go great game back on N64 and many many others.
Or maybe you want the Xbox thats got games like Dead Or Alive 3 great grapics on that now aint there. Blinx ok its not Sonic but it pretty damn good and then there's Halo the only other way to play Halo is on the PC and then there's Raw 2 and Halo 2 yea i thought so.
Or maybe your one of about 10 that have not got a PS2 yet,What are you thinking check the games out on that, stuff like GTA3 GTA Vice City heck you need both of them, i mean most of us who got that are under aged, "ups was that out loud" .Then theres Tekken 4 about the best fighting game on the PS2 yes even better than Virtua Fighter 4 plus there's Smackdown 4 heck who needs Raw plus GT3 simply the best better than all the rest,plus others.

Then there's those games that are multi platform most of them are different take that game in the last issue of CVG the PS2 version has A Tekken character and GC has Link plus Xbox's character then MKDA has better grapics on a different console than the PS2 .

Now on to the machines them self they all have ups and downs the PS2's is it scratch's your discs and some time's you have to play it upside down the Xbox's is the fact that you have to buy the DVD controll ohh and dont forget its heavy and now the GC its got no DVD drive whats with that.
Not to forget when you argue about whats the best lets face it we've all done it.

Now look at the good points we would get from them doing it.
Firstly we could get all the great games and you would not have to share out your money i mean to buy all three it cost's 199.00 for Xbox 169, for the PS2 120, for the GC all together you would spend around 500.00 pounds come on put them all in one and sell it at around 400 and dont forget all the extras that you have to buy that adds alot on and one more bad thing you've got all them wires around god damn.
Lastly the games that would come from it Halo meets Tomb Raider meets Prime Fusion, Mario meets Sonic meets Blinx meets Spyro plus Bandicoot all in one game come on,not to mentsion the ultimate fighter Mortal Kombat vs Tekken vs DOA vs Virtua Fighter vs Super Smash Bros, and then F Zero X mixed with Destruction Derby and the grapics of GT3 and guns of Twisted Metal and dont forget Splinter Cell teams up with Metal Gear Solid now that would be great.

So would you like a console like that i know i would .

plus any other ideas i might have forgot tell me them

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.