GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Special Reserve-Memory Man!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/12/01 at 13:51
Regular
They should start a new memory bank where S.R members should give their memory cards in with completed games, high scores etc. S.R then downlad all the info that's needed and if a member is stuck on a certain game they can bring their memory card in, ask for the game they need and , hey presto, life becomes easier. Maybe a complicating system but I think worth while. What do you think?

dh
Sun 30/12/01 at 21:31
I agree with this last post but then again this idea was just a thought.
Sun 30/12/01 at 17:56
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
It does seem like a good idea, but also a lot of work. If Special Reserve agree to this, it may be a little too much for them to handle. I'm not saying they can't handle it; it's just that everybody will be sending in their memory cards if SR agreed to this concept.
Still, a neat idea, but seems like a bit too much, especially when SR choose 3 winners everyday, plus Extra GAD winners, not to mention the need to update the site. What more could they do? So far, no other company on the planet can compete with them. Their staff is very helpful, their website is always updated with the latest news, and is also very informative, and almost every price tag is cheaper than any other store in the UK – and I’m not just saying that.
Sun 30/12/01 at 16:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Or, you could just:

1) Go to a shop

2) Buy Datel X-Port for about £30

3) Plug into your PS2 and PC

4) Download gamesaves from www.codejunkies.com

SIMPLE! Who would pay £5-10 for one memory save, when for £30 they could have hundreds.

OR maybe SR could buy one of these and infringe copyright laws?
Sun 30/12/01 at 15:19
"period drama"
Yeessss.

Lets all give our memory cards away so other people can see how good we are.

Shouldn't they just do it themselves?

Or am I getting the wrong idea here?
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:37
Regular
No, probably not.

It's all down to laziness to be even more lazy. Basically, nobody will be bothered to use it.

Firstly, you're limiting yourself to one key market: Cheaters.

Cheaters are lazy... but will do an awful lot to find some way of making life easier for them. They won't pay money so someone else can complete their game... they'll just end up looking on the net for free cheats.

I think, anyway.

So no, SR won't take this on because it doesn't make too much business sense.
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:31
So maybe this could work, but will S.R do this?
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:27
Regular
Ah, right, thanks.
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:27
Regular
I thought it would be the hardware to actually copy the memory cards that would be expensive, or is that stuff already available?

I agree with the snow creature thing. They do smell bad on the inside AND the outside, mind.
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:26
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
There is a somewhat simpler solution to this - or at least I think so. You can buy a little device called a "Dex Drive" for about £30, which you can connect to a computer like a zip drive - in fact, it's basically the same thing. Then, using a cable, connect the console in question (with a memory card inserted) to the computer (or Dex Drive, I'm not sure) and presto - you can rip saved game files to the Dex Drive. Then in SR chains around the country, there could be Dex Drives with a computer connected to it and when people ask for a saved game, you grab the console in question, stuff the memory card in and download the data from the DD to the memory card.

Yes, this would be expensive. You would need:

Computer (£300 at cheapest)
Dex Drive (£30)
Console (£100-300)

The question is, will it take off? If it does, you could make that money back very quickly, by charging £5-10 per data download and I'm sure there are plently of people out there stuck on plenty of games. This is great - SR could exploit other people's difficulties! I say go for it, as you will make that money back in no time!
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:11
They could get one of the zip drives and store them on that that way they could buy more disks when necescary and they aren't that exspensive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.