GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multi format online games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/03/03 at 16:46
Regular
If you take a future multi format game which is also online, will people with different console's be able to play against each other?

For example.
If Burnout X was on XBox, PS2, and GC, plus all versions had an online challenge mode, would people with the PS2 version be able to race with people on GC and XBox?
Thu 06/03/03 at 16:46
Regular
If you take a future multi format game which is also online, will people with different console's be able to play against each other?

For example.
If Burnout X was on XBox, PS2, and GC, plus all versions had an online challenge mode, would people with the PS2 version be able to race with people on GC and XBox?
Thu 06/03/03 at 16:47
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I'd imagine it would depend on the game.
Thu 06/03/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Well the idea is there but implementing it would be too difficult.
Thu 06/03/03 at 18:52
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Not a chance in hell, basically.

Why ?

Well if you were Microsoft why would you want to let other console users on your network, that Xbox users have paid to play on ?

I suspect you'll be playing against people with the same console for quite some time, even with things like Star Wars and PSO.
Thu 06/03/03 at 19:57
"period drama"
Well, I'd never thought about that.
It's a good idea, but wouldn't happen.

The big 3 are too stingy to have anything to do with the others.
Thu 06/03/03 at 20:00
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
But surely with PS2 and GC, where the servers are the Developer's responsibility, it'd be down to the developer to decide what consoles go where, not Sony or Nintendo?
Thu 06/03/03 at 20:05
Regular
Don't forget that Sega are providing the servers for Nintendo and Sony, hence online games between them is a possibility, but of course they would have the final say.

And yes, Microsoft wouldn't allow it, after all their whole pledge for you to buy an XBox is for their online play.
Thu 06/03/03 at 20:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Bananna
Fri 07/03/03 at 08:28
Regular
Running GC "signals" over a MS network is a bit like trains from one company running on the tracks of another. They do it, but only when they have to. For example, many a track company do not allow trains from another company to "park" overnight on their tracks. So the trains have to be taken away onto their "own" tracks.
Fri 07/03/03 at 08:36
"For the horde!!!!"
It won't happen I mean Xbox is prideing it's self on Xbox live that is broadband only and as i't own features.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.