GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Cheat?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/09/00 at 14:07
Regular
As a game player, I always try my hardest to complete a game, the reward is usually that feeling of "At last, done it!". A feeling of satisfaction at having completed a level or finding a character or beating a boss can be great at times, and the rewards are there in the form of a new intro or FMV sequence, keeping the game interesting, something to aim for.

So, why cheat? Does entering a code or button sequence not detract from the purpose of gaming, which, in my view, is to be the best you can at something? Doesn't entering a cheat mean admitting defeat by a player, who cannot or will not be bothered to learn the skills required by the game to defeat it? I can understand "enhancing codes", things put there by programmers to give games more longevity, but why not just print these in the game manuals? Then when a game is completed, you can try it out again with a new code to see how the game plays.

But cheats per se, not for me.
Sun 03/09/00 at 20:24
Hey didn't I post a topic like this? Yeah I did...

oh yeah I forgot. I posted after lunch time on the day I posted it and the winner had already been selected! That's stupid! It should be GAMEADAY not GAMEWITHYOURONLYCHANCEBEING INTTHEFIRST5MINUTESOFTHEDAY
Sun 03/09/00 at 20:18
That last bit about putting cheat codes in the manual sounded like something I read in a pcgamer issue
Sun 03/09/00 at 18:44
I agree with you that cheats can seriously damage the playability, fun and lastability of a game, they can also take away any satisfaction you might otherwise have had, had you completed the game without cheating. But in some cases it is ok, as long as it does not restrict the game's worth.
D
Sun 03/09/00 at 17:11
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
is that all you ever talk about?! every forum has at least one of you saying "read my review" "wow you made me money" it sounds a bit monopoly if you ask me, well in answer to the real question, cheats are really only there if you have absolutly no idea how to get past a certain area, I use them when I have completed the game, then I can get even more satisfaction out of the game, e.g. Goldeneye I completed it 3 years ago, including all the cheats, then I started to get bored with it so I used some of the codes, not many but it made it a little better (the cheats programmed into the game also made it alot better).
Sun 03/09/00 at 16:14
Regular
You can read my review (just the one) if you like. Grix_Thraves I am.
Sun 03/09/00 at 15:51
GT, well done on going to 'that site' it has made me £40. already!!!
Sun 03/09/00 at 15:39
Regular
He could of wrote a lot more though, you know, dragged it out a bit, good change of subject though.
Sun 03/09/00 at 14:27
yes. Gameaday winner is you.
Sun 03/09/00 at 14:07
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
As a game player, I always try my hardest to complete a game, the reward is usually that feeling of "At last, done it!". A feeling of satisfaction at having completed a level or finding a character or beating a boss can be great at times, and the rewards are there in the form of a new intro or FMV sequence, keeping the game interesting, something to aim for.

So, why cheat? Does entering a code or button sequence not detract from the purpose of gaming, which, in my view, is to be the best you can at something? Doesn't entering a cheat mean admitting defeat by a player, who cannot or will not be bothered to learn the skills required by the game to defeat it? I can understand "enhancing codes", things put there by programmers to give games more longevity, but why not just print these in the game manuals? Then when a game is completed, you can try it out again with a new code to see how the game plays.

But cheats per se, not for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.