GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games age too fast"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/03/03 at 21:41
Regular
hm, classic games are talked about all the time, sometimes to the point where many people get sick of all this retro-gaming business, but the problem is that gaming is not the same as the other media formats which it is so often bundled with when discussing sales and changing formats.

Older games can often, as I mentioned, be seen as classics, but rarely can they be found re-released in their original format or even with merely a graphical spruce. Any game that gets remade gets 'totally' remade, not just new graphics, but new gameplay, changes in perspective, different level design and even brand new main characters or events! Compare this to the music or movie world where there are quite often re-released old albums, simply digitally remastered or with an added tune or two.

The song remains the same, as Led Zepplin (who have seen their fair share of remasters) may have said, and this is true of movies as well, bar the directors cut, which even then only adds extra footage, keeping the majority of the material the same. In fact, George Lucus has probably been the one to get nearer to games with his movies on the re-release front, realsing the Star Wars trilogy with not only new footage, but better effects as well.

Ok, so there are the remade films and the covers of songs, often nowhere near the quality of the original, but there are also many more classic films and CDs which are enjoyed in their original state (albiet on different media) and considered as good as if not better than today's material. Even Black and White films are enjoyed for what they are and pretty much as they were in their day. Compare this to games, where retro-fans are sneered at as technology has provided ever increasing steps in graphics and sound to increase our gaming experience. Even those classic games reveared by non-retro fans just simply don't sit comfortably with todays gaming software.

Games get old quickly, and though some may love to revisit old games on old systems, just like all the OAPs we know it fast becomes apparent that they can't live up to the technology we have today. It's a sad fact that sets the gaming world apart from other media types and means that though we can still enjoy old games, we can never see them in quite the same light as they were seen in their heyday.
Tue 03/02/04 at 02:05
Regular
I think this aging is going to slow right down now.

Since the Gamecube was launched, not a single game has been out-dated.
It was either good from release or crap from release (or in between, but you know what I mean, nothing to do with being old).

On the Xbox likewise.

Infact, I've yet to play a game that uses the Gamecube's full potential.
Technology is no longer the limit, merely the imagination and ambition of the develloper.

My N64 games have aged.
I had a nostalgic crack at them last night, namely Perfect Dark, Smash Brothers and Goldeneye.

Smash Brothers was slow and clumsy (although the basic presentation of the menu was a nice relief having got used to Melée's over-the-top medial blow out), Perfect Dark was fairly chuggy, and Goldeneye wasn't half as playable as it used to be (and it used to be near damn perfect!).

It's a bit like playing Super Mario World on the Snes and then going back to Mario All Stars (the Nes collection).
Talking of which, in it's own way, the Snes hasn't aged.
Classics like Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World will never be obselete, because they are the kings of the 2D genre.
A slightly out dated genre, but because it is a different playing experience, they remain gold in their own right.

Interesting that.

Upadates? Personally, I'd like to see a polished up Goldeneye resurface on a wireless handheld...
It was the best game of all time in it's time...
Sun 25/01/04 at 15:24
Too late for apologies, your "phatness" will be engraved in digital form forever.
Sun 25/01/04 at 14:07
Regular
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> too right games age too quickly. UT is phat!

oh my, i regret my stupidity in saying that. I was young and wreckless!
Fri 18/07/03 at 02:08
Regular
Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga.

2d top down view pile of tosh...At least thats how it would be viewed if released on a current console. But still love to play this game as much as I love to play Pro evolution. Not for the graphics, not for the sounds, just the pure simplicity of it. I'm not saying the game is easy. Hell, first time i played the game on career mode i got thumped 8-0 by arsenal! But I think this game lies in the perfect postion between the arcade type and the realistic type of game. I find that realism can make a game dull and boring. Because real life is like that sometimes...
Fri 04/07/03 at 22:59
Regular
"8==="
DOOM is still as good as it ever was. Damn good game that.

For a re-issued/re-vamped game I'd suggest watching out for Conkers Bad Fur Day on Xbox.
Fri 04/07/03 at 21:19
Regular
too right games age too quickly. UT is phat!
Mon 31/03/03 at 17:35
Regular
gaming hasnt been around long enough, give it time
Fri 07/03/03 at 01:52
Regular
In a way though, whether a film is black and white or colour, it can often still be received just as well.
But none of the classic black and white films are from the action genre. Why? They can't keep up with the effects, stunts and budgets of modern counterparts.
In a way it's like you say, compared to cutting edge technology they age faster.

Maybe the difference between, say Mario Sunshine and the first NES Mario should be compared not to the difference between Swordfish and Cassablanca, but Interview with a Vampire and Nosferatu.
I don't know if you've sat through the silent original vampire flick, but when I did, despite having been looking forward to it, I was bored out of my tiny miguided mind.
Thu 06/03/03 at 21:41
"possibly impossible"
hm, classic games are talked about all the time, sometimes to the point where many people get sick of all this retro-gaming business, but the problem is that gaming is not the same as the other media formats which it is so often bundled with when discussing sales and changing formats.

Older games can often, as I mentioned, be seen as classics, but rarely can they be found re-released in their original format or even with merely a graphical spruce. Any game that gets remade gets 'totally' remade, not just new graphics, but new gameplay, changes in perspective, different level design and even brand new main characters or events! Compare this to the music or movie world where there are quite often re-released old albums, simply digitally remastered or with an added tune or two.

The song remains the same, as Led Zepplin (who have seen their fair share of remasters) may have said, and this is true of movies as well, bar the directors cut, which even then only adds extra footage, keeping the majority of the material the same. In fact, George Lucus has probably been the one to get nearer to games with his movies on the re-release front, realsing the Star Wars trilogy with not only new footage, but better effects as well.

Ok, so there are the remade films and the covers of songs, often nowhere near the quality of the original, but there are also many more classic films and CDs which are enjoyed in their original state (albiet on different media) and considered as good as if not better than today's material. Even Black and White films are enjoyed for what they are and pretty much as they were in their day. Compare this to games, where retro-fans are sneered at as technology has provided ever increasing steps in graphics and sound to increase our gaming experience. Even those classic games reveared by non-retro fans just simply don't sit comfortably with todays gaming software.

Games get old quickly, and though some may love to revisit old games on old systems, just like all the OAPs we know it fast becomes apparent that they can't live up to the technology we have today. It's a sad fact that sets the gaming world apart from other media types and means that though we can still enjoy old games, we can never see them in quite the same light as they were seen in their heyday.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.