GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Samus and the Metroids..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Thu 06/03/03 at 23:07
Regular
Introduction

Wow, this chick has had a lot put on her platter. If I was a bounty hunter like her, I would want some hefty royalties for the endurance of such hardships. Alas, with one of the richest storylines of any franchise in gaming, and an equally impressive series of leaps and bounds in the gameplay department, here before you is Metroid in its purest form. We provide an in-depth look at this beautiful saga, the only series in which Nintendo has truly put story at the forefront, void of any inherent holes. I hope you enjoy.

A Broken Peace

As it traditionally goes, the galaxy once enjoyed a period of peace and prosperity. Plentiful trade lines were open, the citizens were happy, and the Galactic Federation kept a watchful eye over the thousands of planets. Not long ago, however, that peace was broken by a startling discovery.

The Dawn of the Metroids

On a routine survey mission of the planet SR388 in the cosmic year 20X5, the crew of a Galactic Federation vessel discovered a new airborne life form and gave it the name “Metroid”. These creatures, which could engulf other living beings and take away their energy, proved to be strong and prolific. After a few seconds of beta-ray bombardment, a single Metroid became two Metroids, and then four. Several Metroid specimens were gathered so that the survey vessel crew could take them to Galactic Federation Headquarters for further examination. As the crew sped towards headquarters, they were ambushed by space pirates from the planet Zebes. The pirates stole the Metroids and took them to their home planet, where the planet-leading Mother Brain created a Metroid force.

A Series Begins, A Hero Rises

Thus, the Metroid legacy began in August of 1986 when the late Gunpei Yokoi let loose a new type of video game titled (oddly enough) Metroid. Unlike the traditional side-scrollers of those golden 8-bit days, this game allowed you to traverse through one massive world (as opposed to level by level) in horizontal and vertical fashion. However, most of the game would remain beyond your reach until you acquired certain items in your inventory that allowed progression beyond certain obstacles. It was, essentially, a massive build-up that would prepare you for an equally massive encounter. Collecting items and learning more about your surroundings was key; coupled with intense battles amongst a legion of creatures and clever bosses, providing gamers an experience like non other before it. From special missiles, to morph balls, and weak-spot bosses, the original Metroid was an entirely new take on standard gaming fare, further pushing the creative envelope that Nintendo has become famous for.

Another surprising aspect of Metroid was that it had a fairly deep, mature story. As clichéd as this may sound, the galaxy was threatened by a menacing race known as the space pirates. However, unlike previous thwarted efforts, they had set out to take control of a destructive cellular life form known as the Metroids. You see, Metroids are extremely powerful and resilient by nature, feeding off the bodies of other life forms, which only serves to heighten their power. In addition, it takes an extreme amount of firepower to destroy them, their greatest weakness lying in cold-based artillery. If the space pirates were to tame the native parasites of SR-388, their goal of galactic domination may in fact come to fruition. The solution? Well, none other than to enlist the aid of the federation’s favorite friendly bounty hunter, Samus Aran! Needless to say (as was made a reality by many a gamer), the bounty hunter triumphed over the vile space pirate leader known as Mother Brain. To the absolute shock of all, the mysterious “space man” took off the protective helmet to reveal strands of long flowing hair. Samus Aran was no man, but rather a deadly, voluptuous temptress. With the space pirate forces all but scattered, many wondered what was left for the high-tech heroine.

Trouble Brews

In reality, Samus took off for Tallon IV to do away with what she believed to be the remaining space pirate forces (more on that later). At the same time, the Galactic Federation sent out a special corps to eliminate the Metroids on SR388, for experimentation was proven too risky after the skirmish on Zebes. This strike force was never heard from again, forcing the Supreme Council of the Federation to enlist a warrior familiar with the Metroids, one who could succeed where the corps failed. Naturally, they called upon Samus Aran, fresh from her obscured bout on Tallon IV.

The Return of Samus

With her work cut out for her, Samus was brought into our pockets and unto the Game Boy with Metroid II: the Return of Samus in 1991, courtesy of Mr. Yokoi. While the colors were limited to black and white in a hue of green, the visuals were enhanced remarkably, touting crisper graphics and a greater sense of fluidity in movement. New items (such as the spiderball) added additional depth to the intense gameplay, and the compelling score made famous by the first Metroid arrived intact. An excellent (handheld) diversion, it was in this game that we would learn about the phases of growth and the continual evolution of the Metroids, all the way till Samus conquered the “Mean Metroid Queen”. Satisfied she had eradicated the entire Metroid race, Samus was in exeunt when she stumbled upon a mature egg. Right before her eyes, the egg burst open and out sprang a baby Metroid larva. It clung to Samus like a child who had found its mother, making it impossible for her to consciously destroy the creature. Instead, she returned the larva to the Galactic Federation’s Ceres Station of scientific research for further examination, in hopes they may somehow find a use for the controversial life form.

Seemingly Serene

This research did in fact reveal several possible applications of Metroid-based technology for the betterment of humanity. The unique energy absorption properties of Metroids could be harnessed when they were artificially reproduced in captivity. Peace had presumably prevailed throughout the galaxy. Leaving the research station satisfied that all was well, Samus had barely flown beyond the outlying asteroid belt when she received a terrible distress signal – the Ceres station was under attack.

Pirates Wage War Once More

Rushing back to the scene, she navigated the darkened hallways of the ravaged station to find dead scientists and the Metroid larva missing from its containment. Continuing further, she spotted the larva, only to be confronted by a revived Ridley. It was clear that while she was busy fighting on Tallon IV and SR388, there were other space pirate forces hard at work on the Zebesian home world, rebuilding the main force of an evil empire bent on carrying out whatever heinous, inhumane crimes necessary to achieve galactic domination. At this point, there was only one thing left to do…

Samus, without notifying anyone from the federation, was determined to follow Ridley back to Zebes and finish off what she started those many years ago. She was ready to take on a legion of battle-hardened space pirates and search Zebes inside and out, eliminating all those who should stand in her way.

Super Metroid

In a similar celebratory manner as that of this past November 18th, gamers everywhere rejoiced with the triumphant return of Samus Aran. 1994 marked the year of her very first next-gen outing, and the reception (at least here in America) was overwhelmingly positive. Super Metroid is often considered the peak of the series as well as one of the greatest games of all time. Various publications even go on to call it the greatest game of all time. Bold statements to be sure, they were nonetheless backed by the multitude of perfected elements that made history and set new standards for the action/adventure genre.

Zebes, like Tallon IV, was once a vibrant Chozo home world. Unlike Tallon IV however, which was hit by a phazon asteroid first and then invaded by space pirates, Zebes was plundered directly by the space pirates. This time around they had altered the surface and subterranean structure to better suit their needs and protect their operations. With the help of both old and new artifacts held by the statues of the withdrawn and shrouded Chozo race, Samus would be able to successfully explore the six huge areas of Zebes. The speed boost, grapple beam, and screw attack were a few among the plethora of new and impressive items that could only be accomplished on screen by the powerful 16-bit hardware of the SNES. The score by Kenji Yamamoto (which, to me, is quite possibly this games greatest asset) is entirely perfect. The proper mix of eeriness, suspense, and action are cued at all the right moments, exact and concise in execution. This music is accompanied by fantastic sound effects to create the most moody, atmospheric, and captivating game to date. New and revived bosses alike were brilliant and fun to battle, brought to life in a wave of colors so stylish and methodical, fit for the moment. So pure in all its aspects, it was quite fitting that it would have a satisfying turn out. In a perfect twist of fate, the baby Metroid (who wasn’t quite so larval anymore) came in and sacrificed itself to save Samus’s life. After nearly killing the Mother Brain who had in turn nearly killed Samus, the Metroid endowed Samus with the powers it absorbed from Mother Brain. While the Metroid is feeding Samus the energy, however, Mother Brain gets back up and attacks it, killing it by the time the Metroid is done healing you and ready to finish off the evil pirate leader. Needless to say, Samus (and you) are angered and take out the creature once and for all with its own innate ability, followed by a swift and intense evacuation of the planet. Zebes being no more, Samus has “Left Da Building!", and won’t return for another eight years.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:57
Regular
"Despondent"
If I'd know, I would have done. Common sense I s'pose... but I don't have too much of that.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:36
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
*cough*

Read what WS said, contemplate upon it.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:36
Regular
"Despondent"
aaahhhh, now I see. I wasn't sure what address it was from. I just copied it to read later that night, thought it was good and thought I'd share it here.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:32
Regular
If you're copying something you need to say it's copied, otherwise people will think you're trying to cheat win a GAD and you'l lget banned.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:14
Regular
"Despondent"
You probably stalk young children but I don't say anything.
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:12
Regular
You probably haven't even read it :-P
Fri 07/03/03 at 17:03
Regular
"Despondent"
I'd rather have a bowl of coco-pops.

If I'd wanted to pass it off as my work, I would have localized spellings, etc.
Fri 07/03/03 at 15:55
Regular
"thursdayton!"
You were copying it here to win a GAD.
You didnt tell us it was copied until people suspected it was.
Now leave and never return. Ok, thats a bit harsh, you can say goodbye first.
Fri 07/03/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Despondent"
I found it interesting so I copied it here. Can't you do that?
Fri 07/03/03 at 11:03
Regular
"Omnipresent"
It is copied.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.