GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Blue Planet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/12/01 at 20:19
Regular
"Our planet is a Blue Planet"... A true statement, and one that starts off a fantastic televsion series, recently shown by the BBC. This eight part adventure takes you through all parts of the sea on our planet. Everything from the open ocean, down to the very bottom of the sea bed is covered in this incredible collection of fishy features.

A DVD containing all the eight episodes, as well as numerous special features has been released recently, and its one of those DVDs that just has to be bought if you are in anyway interested in fish. It comes packed to the gills with everything a fish enthusiast could need (unless of course you`re into fish cuisine...)

The DVD set is spread across three DVDs. The first has the introductory episode "The Blue Planet", followed by the next three episodes, containing my favourite, "Open Ocean" (Loads of Dolphin action, which amazes me everytime I see it). These first four episodes are absolutely superb, and also completely different from eachother. Instead of just fish fish fish... Its all about the different habitats, and there inhabitants. Everything from shellfish and seagulls, right up to Blue Whales!

The second disc is of a similarly high quality. Containing the next four episodes, and teaming with even more fish, these episodes complete the series as seen on television. Exploring the final sections of your oceans these episodes leave no rock unturned and no fish undisturbed. Everything you can think of that exists in the ocean is looked at in depth on this disc.

All eight of the episodes on these discs come equipped with commentary from David Attenborough. His name, and voice, is always the first that springs to mind whenever wildlife and the BBC are mentioned together, and for a good reason too. Acknowledged as one of the best in his field, it seems fitting that he should be the one to convey all the information in this huge underwater project.

Completing the set, there are special features, all contained on the final disc. These include the "Making Waves" features, shown after each episode on tv, as well as photo galleries and behind the scenes looks with the makers of the series. Sadly there are no interviews with the cast, but I guess that would be fairly hard seeing as at least a million fish must have been involved.

I guess the only thing standing between a fishy fan and this wonderful DVD is the fact that it was on tv only a few months ago. Well, I guess if you video taped every moment, then perhaps you could be put off. However, you`d be missing out on top quality sound, the extra features, and of course the picture quality.

The sound is of a high quality - being as it is, Dolby Digital Sound. This is particularly handy if you speak dolphin, seeing as I hear their conversations are quite interesting. However, its even more important if you want to feel the real power of the ocean. Every bubble, every wave, and every sound a fish makes calls you into the depths, and makes you feel as if you are really there!

Picturewise, its main advantage is that it is in widescreen. If you watched it in 4:3, then the statisticians amongst you are in for about a 40% rise in the number of fish! Not only that, but being DVD quality, the water really does look quite beautiful, and so do the fish - and we know that isn`t all down to the make-up department!

If you`re a fish enthusiast, then this is unmissable. There really is everything you could want to see of sea dwelling animals and fish in their natural habitats. Dolphins playing, seals barking, penguins sliding, sharks cruising, crabs crawling and even Blue Whales breathing - it really is the ultimate fishy package!
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:19
Regular
pb - That sounds like it could be the reason! I have the "Base Boost" turned on on my Hi-fi, which would certainly account for the quiet commentary!

Rasta - Gulper Eels! Woah, were they scary! Meters across their mouths were, and with eyes that just seemed so evil! Not much chance of getting swallowed by one luckily, as either we`d have already died from the pressure at their depth, or vice versa.
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:37
"possibly impossible"
ssxpro wrote:
> pb: Yeh, the sound is pretty good on DVD. The only thing is that the commentary
> seems quite quiet once all the background has been fiddled with in Dolby. I only
> use my Hi-fi, so it has to be quite loud to hear the commentary.

You get that with some Dolby mixes when reducing the number of speakers or adding too much bass. My midi system surround unit makes the commentary quite hard to hear on some DVDs if the bass is quite high.
Fri 04/01/02 at 19:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
ssxpro wrote:
Rasta: I think the photofors/photophors whatever, fishy guys were
> called hatchet fish.

That's it! Hatchet fish... hehehehe, Hairy Anglers and Gulper Eels are just freaky!
Thu 03/01/02 at 23:55
Regular
pb: Yeh, the sound is pretty good on DVD. The only thing is that the commentary seems quite quiet once all the background has been fiddled with in Dolby. I only use my Hi-fi, so it has to be quite loud to hear the commentary.

Did that make sense?

Rasta: I think the photofors/photophors whatever, fishy guys were called hatchet fish.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:51
"possibly impossible"
This series was amazing. It also made me shiver sometimes at the stuff you can find that deep down in the ocean. Weird.

The sound on the TV programme was pretty good anyway, all in Dolby surround, so the bubbles and everything kept, well, bubbling behind my sofa. Nice. I expect its even better on DVD though.

Nice review.
Wed 02/01/02 at 22:26
Regular
"You've upset me"
ssxpro wrote:
> Wahoo! A reply by not me! :-) Thanks Rasta!

Tis a pleasure, kind Phillip :-D

Anyway, as you said the coral
> spawning wasn`t all that fun no. I think its David Attenborough whispering sperm
> in a strange voice right next to your ear - very disconcerting.

Lol. "Yes, and here, the coral has a unique way of spawing, it shoot spackets of sperm off into the ocean...."

The Deep was
> a good episode, and like you said, resulted in new discoveries, which is a
> pretty exciting thing.

Uh huh. My favourite Deep Sea Mutated Thingymabob was that fish that had those photophores on its side and underneath it and could change colour to entirely match the colour of the light coming from above. Incredible that something that complicated and intricate could evolve.

Still, I`ve totally fallen for the grace and
> intelligence of dolphins. Superb lil guys!

Heh, dolphins rock!
Wed 02/01/02 at 21:57
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
It had pretty cool camera angles, or at least the first one did, a cool one under a wave.
Wed 02/01/02 at 21:38
Regular
Wahoo! A reply by not me! :-) Thanks Rasta!

Anyway, as you said the coral spawning wasn`t all that fun no. I think its David Attenborough whispering sperm in a strange voice right next to your ear - very disconcerting.

The Deep was a good episode, and like you said, resulted in new discoveries, which is a pretty exciting thing.

Still, I`ve totally fallen for the grace and intelligence of dolphins. Superb lil guys!
Wed 02/01/02 at 11:25
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'll reply to stop you going insane :-D

I watched the Blue Planet when it was on and I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. The coral spawning wasn't fun... whatsoever. I've seen things like that too many times.

My favourite episdoe was the second one, when they went right down deep and took a look at the incredibly strange creatures. Did you know that on that trip they discovered 2 new species?

Anyway, good review, Phil.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:27
Regular
I think my favourite still has to be Open Ocean. Many of the other episodes have come close, but haven`t quite got the beauty of that episode.

I`m assuming a similar DVD will follow for the Wild Africa series, though this one interests me a lot less.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.