GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which is not working?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/12/01 at 17:25
Regular
I have just got a new copy of Cossacks for Xmas to replace the one I had which broke. The new copy of Cossacks was installed on my laptop and a desktop PC. I have been playing on Cossacks on the laptop and it works fine. But when I came to play on it today on the Desktop Computer, and I clicked on Play it said:

"Cannot play without the CD-ROM in the drive. Err 1001" or something very similar to that.

So I clicked on Re-install tried again didn't work. I went to ADD/REMOVE on the Control Panel and completely removed it then installed it again. Still it didn't work.

So finally I took it upstairs cleaned it with a proper disk cleaner. Checked it still worked on the laptop..it did, I tried again on the PC and it didn't play.

Is there something wrong with the disc or is it something to do with the big PC?? The disc is only 2 days old so it doesn't have any scratchs etc. plus it has been cleaned.

The game was installed on both machines within the same hour on the 27th. Both computers are at the very least Recommended Spec for the game. With the only difference being the Desktop compu being P3 500mghz and the lappy 700mghz.

Could someone please tell me if they think they know what the problem is.

ZP
Thu 03/01/02 at 09:12
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Sory taken so long to reply again bin busy and the computer has been playing up again.....maybe because I decided to take it apart so I could see how it worked!

Anyway.

It is a DVD-ROM on drive E becuase the Re-Writer is set on Drive D. On my Laptop the DVD-ROM Is on drive D. But the CD doesn't work in the CD-R or the DVD-ROM. But all my other games work on the PC, Using both the CD-R and the DVD-ROM.
Sun 30/12/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
My CD-ROM is on drive Q:\ . I think it's all about how the manufacturer decides to set up your box.
Sat 29/12/01 at 21:38
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Is the CD drive set up as "D" on both machines? I've had some software in the past that assumed D, whereas my CD on this box is drive J, because of several partitioned hard drives. Strange that the thing installed OK, though. Are other CDs OK? Can you get a email contact for the developers, and get in touch with them, tell them the exact error code ... even though then you have to hope that there's someone alive out there.
Sat 29/12/01 at 17:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your CD-ROM may be a little buggered. I bet it's one of those cheapos they give you with a new PC.
Sat 29/12/01 at 17:25
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I have just got a new copy of Cossacks for Xmas to replace the one I had which broke. The new copy of Cossacks was installed on my laptop and a desktop PC. I have been playing on Cossacks on the laptop and it works fine. But when I came to play on it today on the Desktop Computer, and I clicked on Play it said:

"Cannot play without the CD-ROM in the drive. Err 1001" or something very similar to that.

So I clicked on Re-install tried again didn't work. I went to ADD/REMOVE on the Control Panel and completely removed it then installed it again. Still it didn't work.

So finally I took it upstairs cleaned it with a proper disk cleaner. Checked it still worked on the laptop..it did, I tried again on the PC and it didn't play.

Is there something wrong with the disc or is it something to do with the big PC?? The disc is only 2 days old so it doesn't have any scratchs etc. plus it has been cleaned.

The game was installed on both machines within the same hour on the 27th. Both computers are at the very least Recommended Spec for the game. With the only difference being the Desktop compu being P3 500mghz and the lappy 700mghz.

Could someone please tell me if they think they know what the problem is.

ZP

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.