GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Pc gaming......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/12/01 at 15:45
Regular
I am worried....the pc has been very popular now , for many many years, i am quite new to pc gaming, but i enjoy it very much , i own quite a few top games which i would play 4 hours and hours , but how long can the pc last ?
The consoles out now are competing with pc's , and as the consoles of the future are getting more and more complexed and advanced , soon the pc will be an more expensive way of gaming. One of the best things about pc gaming is that they can be played over the internet , which i think is the best thing, much better than playing against a few mates on a console, but now the new generation of consoles can be connected to the internet , just like the pc .
Many years people tried to develop computers , and early ones now seem pathetic compared to the technology avaliable to us now. Pc games i think are the most enjoyable , and thats why i buy them rather than console games , but as the consoles increase their capabilities , they will soon be more powerful , cheaper , and take up lot less space, people will just turn to buying consoles, and the life of the pc will come to an end. Pc manufacturers should make the pc more inviting , by increasing the capabilities of them , making them cheaper , and make games just for the pc , not allowwing them to be developed for consoles .
How long do you think the pc has left before the new generation of consoles take over completely ......
Sun 30/12/01 at 16:22
Regular
I like consoles, and I like PCs. I like to play both, because both have games.

*lifts nose to incredibly high proportions* ;0)

PC Gaming, at the moment, is really, really crap. I would have thought that perhaps there would be a hell of a lot more out than there is at the moment, considering it's Christmas and all...

But what do we have?

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Aliens Vs Predator 2, Commandos 2, and pushing it a bit, Max Payne.

Hardly anything.

Personally, I want to see some sort of space shooter. And for all those who haven't yet, everyone needs to buy Freespace 1 and 2. It's a tenner for both now, and they're really excellent games that everyone should play, terrifying and exciting... really cool.

Warcraft 3. That should be out soon, surely? What about Duke Nukem (taking) Forever?

Dark Forces 3 should be cool. To be honest, I can only think about sequels... Doesn't seem to be many franchaise starters around at the moment, bar Max Payne and Nobody Lives Forever, which is another great game everyone should play but doesn't.

Unreal 2 is coming out as well, hopefully this year.

Ah well. At least we've got the X-Box and Gamecube to look forward to.
Sun 30/12/01 at 13:22
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
[wEiRd KiD] wrote:
Pc manufacturers should make the pc more inviting , by
> increasing the capabilities of them , making them cheaper , and make games just
> for the pc , not allowwing them to be developed for consoles .

PC Manufacturers really don't need to - and more to the point, can't. There is no single "PC Company", like Sony or Nintendo who can aquire licenses to games, it's all down the publishers - if they want to make it a PC exclusive, they can.

The technology itself is easily advanced enough to compete with consoles - yes, at a higher price tag, but this is primarily because of all the other functions it serves which are beyond the scope of consoles at the moment. The Nvidia graphics chipsets are very powerful and can produce some stunning graphics - especially with the NV17 and NV25 (geforce4) next year. The capabilities of the PC are fine, it's the games that need work if it's to keep a position in the market as an option for the casual gamer.

I don't see consoles as a serious threat to completely halt PC gaming, there are thousands of people who wouldn't touch a console because of the types of games, others who..

Hang on, I could've copied this post completely from one I wrote before. I like PCs. Other people like consoles. There's some crossover, but neither is likely to push the other out of the market completely.

I'm sure there's a new side to this argument to be drawn in, but it does seem to have been milked fairly dry. Only things I like about PCs over consoles is the range of FPS games and options for customising, tweaking, modding..I spend much more time playing with my hardware than actually using it, heh.
Sun 30/12/01 at 12:56
PC's will always have games, due to the abilty of anyone being able to make and publish games on them, being able to add new bits to games (mods) and also, they can charge what ever they like for a game, plus if a game needs a more powerful system, the pc is easy to do it on, just up the recommended specs on the box and thats about it.

PC gaming will be great, as it always has been, but it'll nver replace consoles, they to different, pc's are more stratagy and longer lasting, while consoles are pick up and play fun.
Sat 29/12/01 at 16:07
Regular
"DS..."
was it really necessary to post that twice just to reassure us that the PC will be here to stay? i allready know that the PC will be around indefinately and so do many people, In my view PCs are for the internet and applications and consoles are for games.
the fact that many next-gen consoles will be able to perform various computer related tasks such as internet access and spreadsheets etc in the not to distant future will not render the PC useless as the home and office PC will allways be ahead technically way in front of games consoles.
I personally think that online gaming e.t.c is a great idea for games consoles, but if they go any further then certain games company's may just forget about the gaming aspect of consoles alltogether *cough sony cough*, but i'm sure that the one company to stick to it's guns and concentrate on making great games will be Nintendo because no matter how advanced games consoles may get Nintendo will never *touch wood* forget about making great games, and this is a statement which i can quote with confidence.
But what ever the future of gaming may be like, one things for sure it's gonna be great!
slik ~_~
Sat 29/12/01 at 15:49
Regular
"ProGolfer"
[wEiRd KiD] wrote:
> I am worried....the pc has been very popular now , for many many years, i am
> quite new to pc gaming, but i enjoy it very much , i own quite a few top games
> which i would play 4 hours and hours , but how long can the pc last ?
The
> consoles out now are competing with pc's , and as the consoles of the future are
> getting more and more complexed and advanced , soon the pc will be an more
> expensive way of gaming. One of the best things about pc gaming is that they can
> be played over the internet , which i think is the best thing, much better than
> playing against a few mates on a console, but now the new generation of consoles
> can be connected to the internet , just like the pc .
Many years people tried
> to develop computers , and early ones now seem pathetic compared to the
> technology avaliable to us now. Pc games i think are the most enjoyable , and
> thats why i buy them rather than console games , but as the consoles increase
> their capabilities , they will soon be more powerful , cheaper , and take up lot
> less space, people will just turn to buying consoles, and the life of the pc
> will come to an end. Pc manufacturers should make the pc more inviting , by
> increasing the capabilities of them , making them cheaper , and make games just
How long do
> you think the pc has left before the new generation of consoles take over
> completely ......

man u need to open your head and look around at the pc!! I hardly ever use my pc for gaming. Most of the pcs in the world are meant for busness use not for gaming. Could you see a buisness man in 20 years from now doing spreradsheets on a playsation 6? dont worry man pcs are here and here to stay.
Sat 29/12/01 at 15:49
Regular
"ProGolfer"
[wEiRd KiD] wrote:
> I am worried....the pc has been very popular now , for many many years, i am
> quite new to pc gaming, but i enjoy it very much , i own quite a few top games
> which i would play 4 hours and hours , but how long can the pc last ?
The
> consoles out now are competing with pc's , and as the consoles of the future are
> getting more and more complexed and advanced , soon the pc will be an more
> expensive way of gaming. One of the best things about pc gaming is that they can
> be played over the internet , which i think is the best thing, much better than
> playing against a few mates on a console, but now the new generation of consoles
> can be connected to the internet , just like the pc .
Many years people tried
> to develop computers , and early ones now seem pathetic compared to the
> technology avaliable to us now. Pc games i think are the most enjoyable , and
> thats why i buy them rather than console games , but as the consoles increase
> their capabilities , they will soon be more powerful , cheaper , and take up lot
> less space, people will just turn to buying consoles, and the life of the pc
> will come to an end. Pc manufacturers should make the pc more inviting , by
How long do
> you think the pc has left before the new generation of consoles take over
> completely ......

man u need to open your head and look around at the pc!! I hardly ever use my pc for gaming. Most of the pcs in the world are meant for busness use not for gaming. Could you see a buisness man in 20 years from now doing spreradsheets on a playsation 6?
Sat 29/12/01 at 15:45
I am worried....the pc has been very popular now , for many many years, i am quite new to pc gaming, but i enjoy it very much , i own quite a few top games which i would play 4 hours and hours , but how long can the pc last ?
The consoles out now are competing with pc's , and as the consoles of the future are getting more and more complexed and advanced , soon the pc will be an more expensive way of gaming. One of the best things about pc gaming is that they can be played over the internet , which i think is the best thing, much better than playing against a few mates on a console, but now the new generation of consoles can be connected to the internet , just like the pc .
Many years people tried to develop computers , and early ones now seem pathetic compared to the technology avaliable to us now. Pc games i think are the most enjoyable , and thats why i buy them rather than console games , but as the consoles increase their capabilities , they will soon be more powerful , cheaper , and take up lot less space, people will just turn to buying consoles, and the life of the pc will come to an end. Pc manufacturers should make the pc more inviting , by increasing the capabilities of them , making them cheaper , and make games just for the pc , not allowwing them to be developed for consoles .
How long do you think the pc has left before the new generation of consoles take over completely ......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.