GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheers"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/12/01 at 12:12
Regular
When I mention the name ‘Gamecube’ what is the company that comes to mind? Of course the obvious answer is ‘Nintendo’. But should this be the only answer, why should they be the only ones that get the credit, after all they aren’t the ones that make the console. They just come up with the design and ideas.

They aren’t the only ones who make this console become what it is. There are at least ten other companies that make this console possible. I think we should give them some credit to, so here I am going to tell you about the other companies involved in the development of the console and their part in it.

The first one is obvious to many loyal followers, and it is ‘Panasonic’. Well in fact it is Panasonic’s Japanese parent company ‘Matsushita’. It is one of the biggest companies in the world responsible for consumer electronics. Matsushita develops, builds and supplies the CD drives that are need by Nintendo to build the console. It also develops the special optical disks that the drive requires. As well as this they are also developing a Gamecube/DVD machine, that is unlikely to reach these shores well alone the American shores. (But we can live in hope)

Another big company responsible for a main part of the Gamecube is IBM. They are responsible for the heart of the machine, the Gekko Micro Processing Unit. IBM are using cutting edge 0.18 micron copper technology to build the MPU. This company is considered as one of the leading ‘state-of-the-art’ manufactures. Miyamoto said that the Gekko chip would allow him to ‘take gaming designs to a new level’. How many more new design levels, can this man come up with? He already goes to a new level with nearly every game he makes.

The company responsible for the N64 graphics chip was a natural choice for making the Gamecube’s graphics chip. That company was ArtX, but this company was bought by ATI for $400,000,000. The specifically designed Flipper graphics chip incorporates the audio components, (which is built by another company. It also works with the Gekko MPU to create breath taking visuals.

The audio components of the flipper chip are developed by Macronix. Factor 5 also helped in the design of the audio hardware for the Gamecube. Factor 5 also gave their own audio tools know as MusyX for game developers to use. This is good as the tools are supposed to be the best in the industry. Macronix are also responsible for many of the Gamecube’s accessories such as the Digicards, they have also designed an adapter for the future which allows larger memory cards to be used.

Without Applied Microsystems we wouldn’t have any games for the system, and the reason for this is because they make the development hardware necessary to make the games. Combined with the developer tools created by Metrowerks and Numerical Design Limited, developers have everything they need to make a great game.

NEC have a manufacturing partnership with Nintendo, and are responsible for building the Flipper graphics chip. They have spend a great deal of money in building new factories to construct the technology. It is also responsible for manufacturing the memory chips that are designed by MoSys, that are needed to keep the MPU and Flipper chip working.

So although we own a lot of thanks to Nintendo, we also owe it to a lot of other companies. Such as Matsushita, IBM and ATI. This is before we have all of the other companies responsible for making games, such as Sega, Rare or Silicon Knights. So here is a big CHEERS to all the other companies that made Gamecube possible.
Wed 02/01/02 at 21:24
Regular
You could say that the Gamecube is the Ant's nest.

Nintendo, the queen needs all her working/fighting Ant's to work with her but she is still the most important part and is what keeps everything else together.
Wed 02/01/02 at 20:05
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I think the website was www.totalgames.net
Wed 02/01/02 at 19:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ace_greg wrote:
> Which issue was it in, Ive missed some of them! And I never saw it. I got the
> details from somewhere else!

Where did you get the details from mate?
Wed 02/01/02 at 19:49
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Which issue was it in, Ive missed some of them! And I never saw it. I got the details from somewhere else!
Wed 02/01/02 at 19:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
New Year Deutsch wrote:
> Wasn't all of this in NGC magazine????

Yeap, this guy has reworded his topic... although most of the original and some sentences are still there.
Sun 30/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I never saw it NGC
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:39
Regular
Wasn't all of this in NGC magazine????
Sat 29/12/01 at 22:22
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Matsushita (they make cheap vans in Hong Kong and Japan etc)
Sat 29/12/01 at 22:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sibs wrote:
> yeah, I heard about all those companies when I read a thing about GCs
> arcitecture on IGN.com

Does anyone else thing IGN is crap now they have that
> members thing?

Yeah but I am a member anyway so that is cool.
Sat 29/12/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yeah, I heard about all those companies when I read a thing about GCs arcitecture on IGN.com

Does anyone else thing IGN is crap now they have that members thing?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.