GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"looking forward to online gaming??, not if you have AOL"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/03/03 at 13:42
Regular
Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL, yes neither xbox live or the gamecube modem adapters are compatible with the worlds no1 (apparently) ISP. AOL do not let other software access their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to go online.
also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems connect to their service.
so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet stuff, just so i can play online????
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:42
Regular
"aliens exist"
Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL, yes neither xbox live or the gamecube modem adapters are compatible with the worlds no1 (apparently) ISP. AOL do not let other software access their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to go online.
also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems connect to their service.
so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet stuff, just so i can play online????
Sat 08/03/03 at 15:24
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I'm thankful I don't have AOL.

Even NTL is better. :-D
Sat 08/03/03 at 16:34
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Untitled wrote:
AOL do not let other software access
> their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to
> go online.
> also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the
> record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that
> the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae
> of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems
> connect to their service.
> so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet
> stuff, just so i can play online????

That explains why I had pings of 15,000 on Unreal Touurnament :)

Ah well, I have excellent broadband now, so I'm not worried. And yes, online gaming does indeed rule :D
Sat 08/03/03 at 21:48
Regular
This is just typical of what we have come to expect. A great new service, more options, faster, better, more fun, but not if you have AOL. But this is a serious point. I would expect AOL will do some thing about this at a later date, but for now - anyone thinking of going online with a console - stay clear of AOL.
Sat 08/03/03 at 21:50
Regular
Online gaming is so overrated.
Sun 09/03/03 at 09:36
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Updated wrote:
> This is just typical of what we have come to expect. A great new
> service, more options, faster, better, more fun, but not if you have
> AOL. But this is a serious point. I would expect AOL will do some
> thing about this at a later date, but for now - anyone thinking of
> going online with a console - stay clear of AOL.

So is it confirmed that we can hook our broadband modems up to our PS2 for internet play?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.