GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A look UP Mario Lane..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/12/01 at 23:35
Regular
Well, we have all read Rickoss' 'a look down... lane' topics... and now it is time to look to the future. What does the future hold for Mario?

We all know he will be in Mario Sunshine, but rumours about that are rife. Just as rumours of Zelda returning to its' first 'realistic' look emerge, more appear about Mario Sunshine becoming a cel-shaded game. I doubt that will happen, and I think Mario Sunshine will be an awesome game, whether or not it goes by Nintendos 'short and sweet' policy or not. So what can we look forward to? Mario's backpack has been confirmed as carrying (and shooting) water and we can see from screenshots sunshine coins, so collecting those is bound to play a big part. But what about the main game objective? It is anyones guess, but I think it is pretty safe to assume that it will involve a certain princess, and overgrown fire breathing lizard...

Anyway, what about other games? Well Mario is set to feature in numerous re-releases on the GBA, and a new Mario Kart game for GameCube. He is also likely to feature in the continuation of the Sports titles by Nintendo, like Mario Tennis and Golf. But what sports will he star in next? Now this may not be that likely, but I think it is a great idea. Have Mario star in a game where he rides the turtle shell (like in Mario 64) but as a skateboarding game. It would be perfect with the success of the Tony Hawks series now, and you could control many Nintendo stars (like Super Smash Bros.) or it could just be characters from the Mario franchise. Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard, as Nintendo have previously done 1080 Snowboarding, and done stunt modes in the Wave Race games too. And imagine skating over all those Mario environments, and pulling off huge stunts mid air before landing on a Goombas head!

There are also bound to be other sequels in the Mario sports series, but what these will be I don't know. We've had Golf and Tennis so I doubt there will be any team sports, but I am sure Nintendo will come up with some good ideas.

What else? Well on N64 there was talk of a sequel to Mario 64 (and every other Nintendo console has had more than one Mario platformer) so we can safely assume that Mario will get a sequel on GameCube, maybe carrying on ideas from Mario Sunshine, or maybe implementing a whole new gameplay style. Hopefully we will see a 3D yoshi game, and this could include Mario as a co-star, or maybe even a game where you control Mario on Yoshis back for the whole game? I'm sure Nintendo fans would love to see Mario riding Yoshi in 3D!

And I am sure we will see a few more games in the Mario Party Frachise before long, and with all the space on the CameCubes discs we can expect more mini games than ever before, and more fun than we can imagine!

There have even been rumours about Nintendo and Sega working together for a GameCube RPG starring Sega and Nintendo franchise characters, and if this were true, then the game would be truely awesome, and we would see Mario teaming up with his once arch-rival, Sonic the Hedgehog. This was rumoured some time ago, but these rumours were denied. Oh well, we can still hope.

Anyway, these are just predictions, educated guesses, and hopes from me, so, what do YOU think the future holds for Mario?
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, we have all read Rickoss' 'a look down... lane' topics... and now it is time to look to the future. What does the future hold for Mario?

We all know he will be in Mario Sunshine, but rumours about that are rife. Just as rumours of Zelda returning to its' first 'realistic' look emerge, more appear about Mario Sunshine becoming a cel-shaded game. I doubt that will happen, and I think Mario Sunshine will be an awesome game, whether or not it goes by Nintendos 'short and sweet' policy or not. So what can we look forward to? Mario's backpack has been confirmed as carrying (and shooting) water and we can see from screenshots sunshine coins, so collecting those is bound to play a big part. But what about the main game objective? It is anyones guess, but I think it is pretty safe to assume that it will involve a certain princess, and overgrown fire breathing lizard...

Anyway, what about other games? Well Mario is set to feature in numerous re-releases on the GBA, and a new Mario Kart game for GameCube. He is also likely to feature in the continuation of the Sports titles by Nintendo, like Mario Tennis and Golf. But what sports will he star in next? Now this may not be that likely, but I think it is a great idea. Have Mario star in a game where he rides the turtle shell (like in Mario 64) but as a skateboarding game. It would be perfect with the success of the Tony Hawks series now, and you could control many Nintendo stars (like Super Smash Bros.) or it could just be characters from the Mario franchise. Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard, as Nintendo have previously done 1080 Snowboarding, and done stunt modes in the Wave Race games too. And imagine skating over all those Mario environments, and pulling off huge stunts mid air before landing on a Goombas head!

There are also bound to be other sequels in the Mario sports series, but what these will be I don't know. We've had Golf and Tennis so I doubt there will be any team sports, but I am sure Nintendo will come up with some good ideas.

What else? Well on N64 there was talk of a sequel to Mario 64 (and every other Nintendo console has had more than one Mario platformer) so we can safely assume that Mario will get a sequel on GameCube, maybe carrying on ideas from Mario Sunshine, or maybe implementing a whole new gameplay style. Hopefully we will see a 3D yoshi game, and this could include Mario as a co-star, or maybe even a game where you control Mario on Yoshis back for the whole game? I'm sure Nintendo fans would love to see Mario riding Yoshi in 3D!

And I am sure we will see a few more games in the Mario Party Frachise before long, and with all the space on the CameCubes discs we can expect more mini games than ever before, and more fun than we can imagine!

There have even been rumours about Nintendo and Sega working together for a GameCube RPG starring Sega and Nintendo franchise characters, and if this were true, then the game would be truely awesome, and we would see Mario teaming up with his once arch-rival, Sonic the Hedgehog. This was rumoured some time ago, but these rumours were denied. Oh well, we can still hope.

Anyway, these are just predictions, educated guesses, and hopes from me, so, what do YOU think the future holds for Mario?
Sat 29/12/01 at 17:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Mario games are always brilliant, whatever size and whatever console they're on. Mario World is probably the longest but Mario 64 is surely the best! Even if Mario Sunshibne is short or not, it should be great to play (like they always are) with new features to discover (like the water gun). And I think there's NO CHANCE of it becoming cell-shaded/Zelda style, especially after all the critisism.

The chances of Zelda's graphics becoming more realistic seem to be growing, according to NGC. But if this change does go through, it could mean that we don't see the new game till late in 2003! Maybe even 2004!!
Sun 30/12/01 at 12:20
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I dont think that the Mario game will fall into the short but sweet classifaction. This is because, this would change what makes Mario great. It is a game split into sections, because of this it mean that you can pick up and put it down easierly. Also as you do each section you feel like you are making progress.

Mario games not only appeal to cassual gamers, but also dedicated gamers. Not many games are able to do this. They are either aimed at deicated or casual gamers.

I like the idea of a Mario skateboarding game, or even a snowboarding game.

I could post so much more here, but no-one would bother reading it. Plus I am going to post alot about Mario soon anyway (mostly his past). And I have to leave something for someone else to reply dont I (thats a hint to reply).
Sun 30/12/01 at 12:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yes... intriguing... I am unsure of whether Ninty would make the Mario game a 'short and sweet' venture. I'm sure it will be bigger (and sweeter) than Luigi's Mansion, but will it be bigger than Mario 64? Who can say... anyway, yes I thought that thing about Mario Skateboarding (or even snowboarding) was a very inspired idea, and if Nintendo make it I will laugh at everyone who didn't reply to this post because it would mean I was right! (for a change)

Anyway, I look forward to reading your thing about Marios past (will it be short & sweet?), and to seeing what the future holds for everyones favourite plumber...
Sun 30/12/01 at 12:44
Regular
Mario 128 was set for a Mario 64 sequel but now the Mario 128 demo is going to be changed into a whole new game, thatnks to good ol' Shigsy. He is working on a Mario game called 100 Mario's based on the demo we were shown. The plot of the game is still unconfirmed but hopefully we will have two Mario titles in 2002, Mario Sunshine and 100 Mario's.

Also, Sibs, nice idea. Mario Koopa-Boarding. Trying to grind on Bowsers tail would be quite a fun task :D

Anyway, nice post Sibs, but i really should get copy right on that stuff :P

Nah only joking. Keep it up Sibs, nice stories 'n' nice post's ;)
Tue 01/01/02 at 12:31
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
MWA HA HA! I will copyright my ideas, and they will sell millions, until Nintendo realise I have been using one of their biggest franchise characters in my own skating game... then they will sue the *ss off me, and I will live in a cardboard box for the rest of my days!

MWA HA HA!!!
Tue 01/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
"DS..."
Sibs wrote:
> MWA HA HA! I will copyright my ideas, and they will sell millions, until
> Nintendo realise I have been using one of their biggest franchise characters in
> my own skating game... then they will sue the *ss off me, and I will live in a
> cardboard box for the rest of my days!

MWA HA HA!!!

*knocks out sibs with plastic hammer and takes him back to his padded cell! :)
slik ~_~
Tue 01/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmmm... howcome your name is now $lik, but you still sign off as slik???

Who's insane now? (oh, still me)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.