GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is school uniform a good or bad thing?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/07 at 18:13
Regular
"Why do peole b****"
Do you think school uniform is a good or bad thing.
I think it's a good thing because it reduces bullying but a bad thing because the clothes you were eexpresses who you are.
Sat 14/07/07 at 13:14
Regular
School uniform is good in that anyone whose clothes aren't considered 'cool' can get away with wearing uniform and not worrying day in day out.

Despite going to a Grammar School there was a lot of bullying and a differentiation between 'cool' and 'uncool'. Within the uniform it meant leaving a shirt untucked, rolling it out of your trousers the second after a teacher had told you to tuck it in. For the tie it was worn as low as possible, and many people just replaced the tie with their own. As for the suit jacket, anyone that didn't wear it was forced to get one out of the school office.

In year 7 the thing with the jacket was to have the flaps tucked in, for no real reason, and there was a game to take them out the pockets. In the earlier years of the school everyone also conformed with wearing grey socks but a few years in and almost everyone wears any colour of sock. Only trousers were allowed and they were supposed to be grey and match the suit, yet many people stretched this with slightly different shades.

Hair was always supposed to be short and jewellery not expected to be worn. Bearing in mind it was a single-sex school with a girls school a minute walk away, with the same field. Most people went through a long hair phase, and although the school made threats about the length no one was particularly scared of the threats of detentions.

In the sixth form the rules became less tight, allowing any colour of suit and shirt to be worn with any length of hair, as long as it was 'clean and conventional'.

Uniform was good in that conformity didn't encourage people to bully each other, however, it does constrain you, not just in your freedom to wear what you like but by the warm and annoying nature of the clothes themselves. Squeezing eleven year olds into suits will never be the best of ideas. Having said that, it does prepare people for a 'grey suit' type job.
Wed 11/07/07 at 20:35
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I have no problem with girls in school uniform. Myself, i'd rather wear casual clothes.
Wed 11/07/07 at 20:30
Regular
"Why do peole b****"
FantasyMeister wrote:
the only fashion
> trend we could set was the type of shoes we wore (Doc Martens
> were banned outright the day after they first appeared) so we
> were limited somewhat.

At my school we have to wear the uniform or we get put off timetable which basically meens we stay with our tutor (register teacher) all day and not see our mates all day as well as that we have to stay one hour after school. Also we have to wear plain black shoes (not even timberlands) or we get put of time table even if it only has one little stripe on it!!!
Wed 11/07/07 at 15:55
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I meant it makes it feel like you're there to work and not to mess about although some people just doss about anyway.

My first primary school was uniform and we all did quite well academically where as after we moved house and I went to another one it was non uniform and most lessons descended into chaos or never started getting going at all because it didn't feel like we were at school to learn.

When we went to secondary school the kids from non uniform schools took a bit of a culture shock at having to wear a uniform and took a while to adjust.
Wed 11/07/07 at 13:07
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Professional feel? As far as I remember, by the time I finished year eleven, the end of my tie was a convolved shape as I'd been constantly burning it, that wasn't too professional-looking, unless I'd been testing how flameproof a Haberdasher's products were 9-5... :)

I usually used to tuck my shirt in, as I never really had a problem with doing that. Unfortunately, it didn't distract the staff from the fact I quite often replaced my blazer with a leather jacket! I've no objection to uniform, as you could mess it around quite a lot, the problem was teachers complaining about it...

But I did go to a state school, so unlike FM once did, they never had a problem with my steel-toed boots. I think my dad was kinda shocked at how my brother has never had aggro from the staff about his hair spiked up or in a mohican, but he is a product of 1960s Grammar schooling...
Wed 11/07/07 at 11:00
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> However, it was interesting that in my final years of education
> when I switched to the comprehensive system that 'cool' suddenly
> wasn't defined by how you talked and how you acted, but by what
> you wore and how you wore it. Doc Martens were back with a
> vengence, drainpipes were in, a tie had to be worn a specific
> number of inches lower than where it would usually be knotted,
> skirts had to be just so tight and at just this height and so on
> to earn cred. To me this was a real culture shock, and even
> though the school uniform was compulsory everyone still somehow
> managed to look individual when wearing it.

Same when I was at comprehensive school from 1991 - 1996. We had to wear a uniform but how you wore it defined whether you were "cool" or not.

Ties had to be tied "back to front" IE not in a "kipper" and shirts had to be pulled out as much as they could be and folded back over so they hung down and looked like they were out.

Bags had to be carried by using just 1 strap and only white shirts were permitted to be worn, woe betied if you wore a blue one.

Of course people who didn't conform were bullied so it didn't stop that but I'm for uniforms as it gives a more professional feel.
Tue 10/07/07 at 19:33
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
@ngeI wrote:
> It's hard to say really. When i was at school, they always wanted
> you to wear the offical school tops with the school logo on. Of
> course it was considered then 'Uncool' to do so.

Kinda funny how kids from different backgrounds define 'cool' in different ways. When I was at school (we're talking 1970s and 80s) we had uniforms. In the public school system you basically wore what you were told to, discipline was very, very strict, even down to how ties should be knotted, so the only fashion trend we could set was the type of shoes we wore (Doc Martens were banned outright the day after they first appeared) so we were limited somewhat. People were judged as cool not by their uniform but by how well they performed at sports, academic achievement, what music they liked, how they carried themselves and so on.

I remember one guy who was the only boy in the school studying Greek. (As well as about 15 other subjects simultaneously). He looked like a real geek (greasy hair, NHS glasses, B.O. etc.), but everyone considered him cool because of his unfathomable intelligence.

However, it was interesting that in my final years of education when I switched to the comprehensive system that 'cool' suddenly wasn't defined by how you talked and how you acted, but by what you wore and how you wore it. Doc Martens were back with a vengence, drainpipes were in, a tie had to be worn a specific number of inches lower than where it would usually be knotted, skirts had to be just so tight and at just this height and so on to earn cred. To me this was a real culture shock, and even though the school uniform was compulsory everyone still somehow managed to look individual when wearing it.

I could never reconcile coolness with what people wore, but always by how they acted, so I didn't fit in much. Overall I'd say uniform was a good thing as it should, in theory, allow students to get on with studying rather than worry about the latest fashions or what religion everyone is or whose parents earn the most.

Thin shirts used to rock by the way. When you're 15 the sight of a couple of hundred bra straps running around makes the day fly by.
Tue 10/07/07 at 16:11
Regular
"I may return"
Biggie Little Jr wrote:
> Sunny smells :)

:O I wondered what you might say *goes to look at all posts while blocked*
Tue 10/07/07 at 10:20
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
It's hard to say really. When i was at school, they always wanted you to wear the offical school tops with the school logo on. Of course it was considered then 'Uncool' to do so. So most of us decided we were just going to wear a plain Navy sweatshirt instead.

People were teased for wearing the school one, but then teased if the sweatshirt was faded/worn out.

Didnt stop at the sweatshirt though, was certain type of trousers too. Had to be these ones that had these kinda silver zips on. For the girls it was black bootcut trousers.

So it was like you had to just keep up with how you wear your uniform.

You was also glassed as 'Uncool' if you wore a white shirt the thin material. As everyone was wearing other white shirts that were thicker. Then it was the white or Navy poloshirts they were ok to wear to.

Tucking your shirt in was not on either, had to be out despite the rollockings you get from the teachers. Once they tell you to tuck it in, as soon as their back was turned it was out again.

Obviously it cost more money to have a better school uniform.

So own clothes or not, wasnt really any different. It would have been the same if we didnt wear uniform. There is always some trend that someone starts and if you dont live up to it the bullying kicks in.
Mon 09/07/07 at 23:28
Regular
"Mooching around"
Seems stupid now as most go to college or some form of further education these days, and most of them don't require uniform! =D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.